Intake Options - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Intake Options

For B204L (2.0L T5 Turbo) alternatives:

Stock Airbox Snorkel Mod

Use stock airbox (and upgrade panel filter to K&N) but replace intake snorkel with funnel or large tubing. Panel filter inferior to cone.

Abbott Performance Induction Kit

ITG cone filter and intake tube. Air sucked from inside engine compartment.

Blaque Out's Intake Kit

?? Cone filter and intake tube. Replaces stock snorkel. Smoother intake path, but sucks air from inside engine compartment.

BSR Optiflow

JR Cone filter with plastic 'fence' to block hot engine air. Poor sealing and reliance on 'cold' air to go through maze behind headlight is not a true CAI.

Speedparts Intake

Similar to BSR part except cheaper and plastic fence replaced with metal.

Cone on turbo

Probably the best solution to eliminate restrictions, but takes air from hot tarmac and around exhaust manifold.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2004, 04:08 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to trexturk

Don't forget about my SaabNation Cold Air Intake. The filter goes into the bumper and behind the fog light and recieves air from outside of car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-13-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
WS
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to WS
i got a BSR optiflow on my car. its a t7 though so i have a mass airflow sensor
-BSR Cat-Back and Intake

Old 01-13-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trexturk
Don't forget about my SaabNation Cold Air Intake. The filter goes into the bumper and behind the fog light and recieves air from outside of car.
Where can I get one?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:12 PM   #5

http://home.comcast.net/~saabnation/index.html
Old 01-13-2004, 07:26 PM   #6
Elder

How about either a How to, or the link to a place to get a Set-Up for an 87 9000T
for your repair needs
Old 01-13-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
Speedparts mounting instructions (in Swedish though but with pictures):

http://www.speedparts.se/arkiv/anvis...nv_xf-9000.pdf
Old 01-14-2004, 04:47 AM   #8
Elder

(YAY 400th Post! :P )

Anyway - it seems that that one page doc showed me as much as i already knew.... is it missing more info? Seems lacking if going by the pics. Thanks tho.
for your repair needs
Old 01-14-2004, 06:16 AM   #9
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Thanks for making this thread, it should really help out alot of people thinking about intakes.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #10
Administrator
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via ICQ to bollman Send a message via AIM to bollman
Rememeber though, that the air coming from the turbo reaches temperatures between 2-300 degrees F! So, by moving your intake to gain perhaps 10 degrees cooler air is quite indifferent to the gain from a more efficient intercooler!

If one is to make a great difference in intake temperature, water/alcohol injection is a much greater gain, although harder to implement.
This also reduces the risk of knock.

This is to be put in relation to the risk of getting unpleasant things into your engine. Putting a free-flow filter so far down as the fog-light is really dangerous and going through some water while boosting could fill your engine with water and thereby completley destroying it!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:44 AM   #11
TSLMember

Can't see this one working to well.......

Big lump of sh1t on the end of it
Old 01-17-2004, 09:30 AM   #12
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphwiz
Can't see this one working to well.......

Big lump of sh1t on the end of it

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #13
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
on the saab nation intake it says only for T-5.... but there is no reason it could not go on my t-7 car is there?
Old 01-22-2004, 12:12 PM   #14

Well your car has the MAF
Old 01-22-2004, 01:45 PM   #15
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
yeah.... couldent i still put that on there?
Old 02-17-2004, 09:24 AM   #16
HNNLIC
Elder

You may have to cut some piping to make room for the MAF, but as soon as this guy makes it down to Iowa, I'll be making him one...so i can tell you exactly what you need.

Also. For those of you who are scared about sucking water in your intake, a way to get rid of that threat is to attach what's called a "Air Bypass Valve". No its not the BOV or BPV that you are normally used to...this one goes on your intake. Check it out: It basically allows for any water that may make its way up your intake to be absorbed or leak out by this bypass valve.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:07 AM   #17
TSLMember

im going to run a cai. simply make your own or buy froma company that sells them...im going to run the intake in conjuncion with the the air bypass valve from aem..eliminates the chance of water comming into intake..you will have nice cold air and no worries. just my $.02

http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp
Old 02-17-2004, 10:08 AM   #18
TSLMember

sorry blaque/// i mised your above post....
Old 02-17-2004, 02:36 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaque_Out
You may have to cut some piping to make room for the MAF, but as soon as this guy makes it down to Iowa, I'll be making him one...so i can tell you exactly what you need.

Also. For those of you who are scared about sucking water in your intake, a way to get rid of that threat is to attach what's called a "Air Bypass Valve". No its not the BOV or BPV that you are normally used to...this one goes on your intake. Check it out: It basically allows for any water that may make its way up your intake to be absorbed or leak out by this bypass valve.
The bypass valve is not recommended for turbo engines. When on boost, a vacuum is created in the intake.

The bypass valve works by detecting a vacuum in the intake tract, either due to blockage or water and opens to allow unfiltered air in. The intake vacuum present in boosted cars will cause it to open when on boost, bypassing the filter and letting all the icky guck in your engine compartment into your engine.

From AEM's website: http://www.aempower.com/faq.asp?fid=21&tid=3

AEM does not recommend the use of the bypass valve on engines equipped with forced induction (turbo or superchargers). Additionally, using nitrous oxide in a placement before the bypass valve is dangerous due to fuel contamination of the foam spring/filter as well as degradation of the integrity of the plastic due to the extremely cold temperature of the nitrous oxide. Nitrous can be used downstream of the bypass valve.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:34 PM   #20
HNNLIC
Elder

Well okay....scratch that idea lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in