First time to the track - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
JZW
Elder

First time to the track

Went to the track tonight for the first time and spent a lot of time tuning and dialing in the car for the track. The street tune was no where near what the track tune ended up being

Best I could do was a 12.8 at 121mph. I was happy with that for my first time at the track with the heavy vert and mile high elevation.

Had one really fun race with a motorcycle, we were neck and neck and just pulled him at the stripe, he caught up to me in the second to third gear shift, but once the holset was on, pulled on him, that was about the most fun I had during the trials.

Out of fuel with the 1000cc injectors and e85, working on that next and had quite a few 2.01 60' times, but could not break under the 2.0 mark, even with slicks, the large turbo was being launched at 6000rpm and would still bog if the clutch was not slipped just right...

PS- The stg 5 clutch held just fine

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0496.JPG (7.0 KB, 51 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Nice job, John! Are you still using the Profec B? What's max boost in 1st?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Is this the first time on the track with this turbo? Could it be too much turbo in relation to the gearing, or is it just tuning and getting used to it?

Old 09-17-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Had one really fun race with a motorcycle, we were neck and neck and just pulled him at the stripe, he caught up to me in the second to third gear shift, but once the holset was on, pulled on him, that was about the most fun I had during the trials.
that is awesome. what kind of bike was it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Nice job, John! Are you still using the Profec B? What's max boost in 1st?
No more boost controller, T7 bpc, only got 5 runs, kept raising the rev limit and boost Last run was 12.8 at 121mph with 1.5 bar requested in first and 1.7 bar requested in second and 1.9 bar requested in third and up.

I ended up running a 7800rpm rev limit and the head is still ok and I went through the beam just as I caught and or hit the rev limit in third gear

121mph in third gear Just as I clipped the beam, pow from the first hint of the rev limit. I have no tach, so I was having to guess and go by sound and feel to know when to shift or how high I was in the rpm band.

The slicks were awesome, bogged in first the first couple of times and it took 6k rpm and perfect clutch slip to get it out of the hole. Had trouble grabbing second gear quickly, would have to stop and re-try

John
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Is this the first time on the track with this turbo? Could it be too much turbo in relation to the gearing, or is it just tuning and getting used to it?
All the above, first time at the track, kept tuning it and going up and up and dialing in the fuel, timing and boost and reg kon mats.

The gearing is not pefect, I need to either run on up to 8200rpm or even 8400rpm or change out to the 4.45 gearing I had that came 2 months too late, still on the old 4:05 gearing. When I shift, there is a lag period before I am in the sweet spot again. Need to address with rpm or gearing.

Its a learning curve, still need some tuning tweaks and never did get time to adjust the suspension at all... Traction is not the issue now, its launching and keeping the monster super 40 in the money...

John
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
From the 1/4 mile slip he posted, it looks like a Hayabusa!

Nice job John, that thing rips! Have you stripped out the interior at all?

|
|
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #8

hopfully next year i will have a 9000 version of this car...getting ready to join the holset team those times are awsome
Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

Nice times John.

What trans are you using, or what mods have you done to it?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
From the 1/4 mile slip he posted, it looks like a Hayabusa!
Hayabusa was at finish when John had just passed 1000ft smoked, so that race it cant be.

John have you considered to tweak "something" in trionic so you can launch the car while having the turbo spinning, could/would help in your case.
4:45 brings a extra shift to you run, so be careful that the outcome is not worse.
130mph in 3rd with the 4.05 gearing works just fine, but naturally begins to ask from HW also that the engine "sings" to 8k++ rpm.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
JZW
Elder

Yea, I may just up the rev limit to 8200rpm and make sure the fueling is there, it was running out for sure and I added race gas to the mix to richen me up and it dropped me into the 10's at 5k, but as I passed 7k, the a/f was climbing like a tach and passing 13.5/1

New Boshe 044 going in this weekend and then more testing. Was not sure if trionic would allow me to run a 7800rpm limit, but it seemed to work and that was with the red di>>>! Will put the black one back on and put the limit to at least 8200rpm.

That is what started to help, winding out second far enough so when I shifted to third, it was not too far off the Holset's sweet spot. I still did not have the instant spool like Nick does and that is what I need to really get a good time, good launch and 60' and quick shifts and instant spool. Did not have any of those perfect, but still working on it. Will make some fuel changes, get that sorted, then back to the plan of attack for the next session.

John
Old 09-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Those 4.05 gears should help the 4.45 should not make that big of a deal. Still will have the same RPm spread but just a lower wheel speed. Then that makes another issue with spin. I have the 3.85 gears too. That presents a different group of reasons. Middle of third through the lights with that versus middle of 4th. So one less gearchange is nice. It becomes apparent the issue when you look at ground torque with the different gears. Just finding the dynamic tire limits is difficult on slicks. I will post a bunch after this weekend.. We are going to another IFO race in Tulsa.

You will most certainly need more rpm to make the gears work. But T5 wont allow more than a 73-7400 safely. I would invest in a nice tach too so that you can watch it. You might not get a limiter from what I have seen. I may plug a t5 back in my drag car and see what it does.

I have a rear race mount if you email me. It was a prototype for the street based on what we run in the back one. Should help lots. Steven commented on them after driving both.. Too harsh for the street. But makes em shift like butter.

One reason I like the little turbo it responds quickly.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
We didn't have launch control to run the 12.4 on the viggen.. Still cut a 1.78-1.80 60ft. thats with the baby gt28. Its not about power it how you use what you have..

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 09-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Those 4.05 gears should help the 4.45 should not make that big of a deal. Still will have the same RPm spread but just a lower wheel speed. Then that makes another issue with spin. I have the 3.85 gears too. That presents a different group of reasons. Middle of third through the lights with that versus middle of 4th. So one less gearchange is nice. It becomes apparent the issue when you look at ground torque with the different gears. Just finding the dynamic tire limits is difficult on slicks. I will post a bunch after this weekend.. We are going to another IFO race in Tulsa.

You will most certainly need more rpm to make the gears work. But T5 wont allow more than a 73-7400 safely. I would invest in a nice tach too so that you can watch it. You might not get a limiter from what I have seen. I may plug a t5 back in my drag car and see what it does.

I have a rear race mount if you email me. It was a prototype for the street based on what we run in the back one. Should help lots. Steven commented on them after driving both.. Too harsh for the street. But makes em shift like butter.

One reason I like the little turbo it responds quickly.
I am still getting it dialed in and will get the launch down a little better, I do think the rear mount would help as I had trouble getting second after a hard first gear launch.

I had heard the same thing about the rev limit, but also saw that maptun ran a 8k rev limit with trionic and gave it a whirl. There did seem to be one there and hit it twice, once with it set at 7400rpm about 100yrd short of the beam in third and once at the beam with it set to 7800rpm.

John
Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
My buddy said it was a Yamaha ZR-1 1000cc bike, he had me at the 1/8th by 2 tenths and by the 1000' I had him by 2 tenths and 3 tenths by the 1/4.

John
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
Elder

Btw; glad to see you fixed your corner light for SOC.

|
|
Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #17
Elder

he must have been one crappy driver if it really is a YZF R1 and a 12.8 Saab is on his butt. I know the whole power loss thing but it shouldn't make a 2+ second difference in the quarter for him.

Your threads always make me wanna go back out to the track but I think I'm done with that for awhile..at least til next summer. I have issues getting into second after hard launches in first, and I have nice grinding sounds trying to go into third. Until I get that 9-3 tranny in my car, I stick to roll racing from third.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #18
JZW
Elder

He did have a 2.5 60' time The loss for na is much higher than for turbo cars, around 1.5 seconds or more. A new Z-06 will only run in the low 13's up here in most cases and what 11.5-11.8 at sea-level. It was the best race of the nigh for me, saw him come up as I shifted to third, must have been right around the 1/8th mile, then as the holset came to life, pulled on him in third.

The big turbo is tuff to launch and its very hard to keep it in the money, so getting a good time in the 1/4 mile with a holset and fwd saab and low rpm limit is very difficult. I had to raise the rev limit to start to do better since as I shifted higher and higher, I would spool in the next gear lower and lower,

John
Old 09-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #19
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
so i wish my car would pull a 12.xx sec 1/4 mile
hell ill be happy if my car does a 15s one
well see after this weekend once i finish the great "motrionic" swap

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 09-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
The big turbo is tuff to launch and its very hard to keep it in the money, so getting a good time in the 1/4 mile with a holset and fwd saab and low rpm limit is very difficult. I had to raise the rev limit to start to do better since as I shifted higher and higher, I would spool in the next gear lower and lower,

John
Yeah really. Even without trying to launch, it was difficult shifting into third at 6800 because it'd drop down to a bad point for continuing strongly.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in