6 speed that's not Quaife !!!! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
SAABeginner

6 speed that's not Quaife !!!!

Hi to every one...a little while back I was reading Nick Taliaferro's ' Gearbox Ramblings ' and quote
' F40 is the 6 speed in the new 9-3. It is a very robust gearbox with TWO output pinion shafts! this is part of the reason they are quite noisy and clunky. It only in the new ecotec bolt pattern.'If you can find one of the super rare euro diesel 6 versions it will bolt up to the B2x5/4 engines.''

Has anybody anymore information on this box...what will it handle in bhp and and torque etc..is it really a straight forward and worth while mod..?..As mentioned it'll bolt up to the B204l...I'll maybe be using a 206 block so dont see this causing any probs and really dont want to go the expense of the quaife presently but maybe in the not so far distant future..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

been there, but not done that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglecharm View Post
Hi to every one...a little while back I was reading Nick Taliaferro's ' Gearbox Ramblings ' and quote
' F40 is the 6 speed in the new 9-3. It is a very robust gearbox with TWO output pinion shafts! this is part of the reason they are quite noisy and clunky. It only in the new ecotec bolt pattern.'If you can find one of the super rare euro diesel 6 versions it will bolt up to the B2x5/4 engines.''

Has anybody anymore information on this box...what will it handle in bhp and and torque etc..is it really a straight forward and worth while mod..?..As mentioned it'll bolt up to the B204l...I'll maybe be using a 206 block so dont see this causing any probs and really dont want to go the expense of the quaife presently but maybe in the not so far distant future..
Been there!
It is not such a "bolt-on" swap! It will fit with the B205/B235 engine, but with different mounts on the car. It is manageable!
On the other hand, the shifter is not a bar (like on B205/B235), but two cables => gears shifter change. Seems there is a short shifter for the F40 from Nick T. (http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...193b02114efa90), Nick, can you please confirm it fits the F40 Saab gearbox?
Then, the left driveshaft must be a little longer. There are a couple of ways to do it...
Furthermore, you will need a new clutch, maybe another flywheel and definetelly another LSD, since the F25 Quaife is different than the F40 one.
There are some step-by-step instructions, but...
I am thinking this mod for some months now (see my post https://www.saablink.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=1)
Best to you, if you dedice to walk a hard path!

Last edited by av_dumitrascu; 09-15-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Hi..are we talking about the ''If you can find one of the super rare euro diesel 6 versions it will bolt up to the B2x5/4 engines.''...?....

Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #4

are we on the same line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglecharm View Post
Hi..are we talking about the ''If you can find one of the super rare euro diesel 6 versions it will bolt up to the B2x5/4 engines.''...?....
are you reading what I wrote? what do you think?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:31 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Most certainly have been reading your post...and thanks for the candor...the mods seem quite straight forward and I'll take it the uprights will also be an issue..?..makes the quaife more of an option though as I doubt the 2.2 diesel box will be capable of high power anyway which was really my original question. I'll have time later to follow your posts with interest and possibly gain more info rather than asking here. Take it your on a rather high output engine to be considering quaife and such mods also...as I said I'll be reading your post with interest a little later...
Old 09-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What is the "real" real reason why you would even need one of these?
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #7

reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
What is the "real" real reason why you would even need one of these?
who needs a reason for a mod/upgrade/uprate/tuning?
:P :P
On a more serious line, 6 speeds really improve the car`s performances (especially over 350HP) and the gearbox is more resistent than the F25.
I won`t seek/search any other reason. Seems it is one of the "grown-up boys" mod, not stickers & decals kids
In a more personal tone: me wants!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_dumitrascu View Post
On a more serious line, 6 speeds really improve the car`s performances (especially over 350HP) and the gearbox is more resistent than the F25.
I won`t seek/search any other reason. Seems it is one of the "grown-up boys" mod, not stickers & decals kids
Yeah I hear ya, and at least you are honest.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
One was on craigslist locally, but I doubt it was the deisel version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Lucian is also by location has a better chance of getting that bellhousing than we do by being in Europe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
SAABeginner

The real reason being a holset hx55 tbh....
Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #12

lot of info available

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Lucian is also by location has a better chance of getting that bellhousing than we do by being in Europe.
As much as I like you guys here and at SC, my big regret is that I don`t talk swedish! They have loads and tons of infos regarding SAABs and SAAB tuning. Whatever mod/tune you want...name it and they already DID IT!

9-3 ss nav on 9-3 old gen? DONE!
6 speeds F40 on 9-3 old gen? DONE!

and so on....
Actually, those guys drive +500 HP SAABs regulary!
By chance, a Romanian guy (very freindly and helpfull) is living in Sweeden and he gives me some technical details. AND I MEAN TECHNICAL DETAILS!

I will keep you posted on this F40 story on my car (is it a Vigg?), in the thread "my project"
Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Shit I'll be happy just to get an OG9-3 tranny. Good luck finding 6 speed, though. I'm interested in seeing it.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #14

might try to help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Shit I'll be happy just to get an OG9-3 tranny. Good luck finding 6 speed, though. I'm interested in seeing it.
If any1 interested, I will keep you posted!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:17 AM   #15

Trans

I've been watching all this trans talk. The diesel 6 spd final drive ratio is different than the petrol, I assume, so that daily driving would require being in a lower gear (5th or 4th) unless the petrol ratio is installed. Maybe I'm wrong and the deisel has a much lower top speed (mph/kph) but If I'm right you'll be able to break the 200 MPH barrier with your higher revving petrol engine. You can go to all the bother with changing the final drive ratio, if necessary, and the mounts, axle shaft, flywheel, and bell housing. All these issues can't be worth the time and money when Nick prefers the convential transmission he uses. We call this re-inventing the wheel over here and all I can say is that I wish I had all the time and money that goes into projects like yours. I wish you well in your endeavor to build a one of a kind Saab.

'00 VigVert- Nirvana
'00 9-3SE DD
2013 Silverado Z71 4WD
Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #16
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg450 View Post
I've been watching all this trans talk. The diesel 6 spd final drive ratio is different than the petrol, I assume, so that daily driving would require being in a lower gear (5th or 4th) unless the petrol ratio is installed. Maybe I'm wrong and the deisel has a much lower top speed (mph/kph) but If I'm right you'll be able to break the 200 MPH barrier with your higher revving petrol engine. You can go to all the bother with changing the final drive ratio, if necessary, and the mounts, axle shaft, flywheel, and bell housing. All these issues can't be worth the time and money when Nick prefers the convential transmission he uses. We call this re-inventing the wheel over here and all I can say is that I wish I had all the time and money that goes into projects like yours. I wish you well in your endeavor to build a one of a kind Saab.
That's why I mentioned it makes a Quaife seem more feasable and it's difficult having the luxury of Nick's expertise when I'm in Northern Ireland even though he does seem to give a lot of his experience free of charge here and elsewhere...maybe I'll be using that upright milling machine sooner than I thought...maybe one day I'll get a tutorial pm'd to me...HINT HINT.....lol...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:41 AM   #17
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_dumitrascu View Post
Had a look at your saab and gotta say it's a got a lotta seriously nice bolt on bits ....but with brakes like that you know ya want a bigger monster turbo in it...ya do really dont ya...!...lol...
Old 09-18-2009, 05:27 AM   #18
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
I run stock gearing in both of my NG/9-3s they seem to be pretty fast.

Thats not to say that with a $4500 gearbox that it wouldn't run 10s on the gt30 but thats not really reasonable. Thats the easy way. Making the hardware there work right is harder but in the end going faster with less says something about the hardware package. Going 6 speed because it's "cool" is not the right way.. I don't like wasting money where it wont be needed.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 09-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #19

Zackly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
I run stock gearing in both of my NG/9-3s they seem to be pretty fast.

Thats not to say that with a $4500 gearbox that it wouldn't run 10s on the gt30 but thats not really reasonable. Thats the easy way. Making the hardware there work right is harder but in the end going faster with less says something about the hardware package. Going 6 speed because it's "cool" is not the right way.. I don't like wasting money where it wont be needed.
Zackly

'00 VigVert- Nirvana
'00 9-3SE DD
2013 Silverado Z71 4WD
Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #20

word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Going 6 speed because it's "cool" is not the right way.. I don't like wasting money where it wont be needed.
Words of a wiseman!
The 6 speeds mod/upgrade is for now project in data/info gathering. I will not spend a $ more before I see the output chart compares for F25 and F40, both with the same wheels and at the same revs.
If any1 got this kind of info, please post it.
The straight-cut Quaife...well, that's another story and is specially for racing. Not for drag, though....
So yeah, kinda makes sense not to jump for the aquisition!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in