Steering rack clamp (query) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
TSLMember

Exclamation Steering rack clamp (query)

Some of you may have read an issue I had with a steering rack clamp a while ago where the rack was moving in the clamp but this was later resolved with some packing.
However I have now noticed that when the car is stationary and the steering is moved from side to side the wall of the body shell where the clamp is attached to is actually flexing!!
This is abviously now due to me making sure the rack does not move in the clamp.
Which I thought was how it was meant to be.

Has anyone else who has fitted a brace noticed this?
Is it normal and is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
I remember reading a few years ago, that it's possible for the actual bulkhead to crack and start flexing.

If I recall there were a few posts on Saab Central about it, and it only seemed to be from guys in the UK.

This suggests that it has something to do with it being RHD.

I remember in the posts that someone had removed their engine to weld up the crack(s).
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
TSLMember

Don't think it's an issue on mine as the bulkhead cracks (as far as I'm aware) are only on the drivers side deep in the corner under the brake reservoir?

My clamp is fitted on the passenger side flat against the rear of the engine bay.

The flexing usually takes place just either side of the clamp as the steering is moved side to side.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear View Post
Don't think it's an issue on mine as the bulkhead cracks (as far as I'm aware) are only on the drivers side deep in the corner under the brake reservoir?
Yea, I wasn't to sure about the cracking issue, but figured I'd mention it.

But here is a mind bender

Your passenger side is our Drivers Side.

I've never closely compared the steering/brake/clutch setup in a RHD car. So I'm not sure how the steering rack mounts differ (or may not differ).

As far as the flexing, I've never actively observed the firewall while my steering wheel was being turned.

I'm in the process of stripping a car that has the rack brace and clamp. Before I take it off, I'll have a look.
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
TSLMember

I only checked because I could hear this slight creaking noise as I was parking up. So I got my better half to turn the steering wheel for me while I had a look under the hood, that's when I noticed it.

I'm not even sure if it was that making the noise as I've had my dash out this week and have put it back in without securing it, as it's coming out again next week. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in