Carbotech pads. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Carbotech pads.

Does anyone here run them or have experience with them?

A fair number of guys in my club run them for autocross and track events, but they are mostly Miata and Subaru guys.

Currently I have Hawk HPS F/R. I have slotted rotors F/R and my front rotors are 308mm. I have Goodridge SS lines, and I tend to run ATE Super Blue (but I may switch to Motul next season as I can get it locally).

I really like the Hawk HPS pads. Great for street and autocross. Fade free, good bite when cold or hot, quiet and not dusty. I will probably continue to use these for autocross and street use. My fear is track use.

The track my club uses is primarily a go-kart track, approximately 1/3 mile in length. I hear it eats tires and pads, especially in heavier cars.

I'm not going to be running R-compounds, so I was thinking I might go with the XP10 F/R or maybe the XP12 F and the XP10 R.

Anyone with some advice? Since the track pads will be more aggressive, I might invest in a second set of rotors...bed the track pads to those rotors and keep everything exclusive.

Oh boy!
$$$$$$$$!
I tell you what.
Driving in anger is expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Elder

when i spoke with them, they recommended the xp10 for front, and xp8 in back, on a 900.

thats what i'll be getting, next
Old 09-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
How much do a set, front and rear, cost? The one thing I haven't touched on my car yet is brakes so it's nice to see options.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Elder

Thanks CT, that sounds like a pretty good starting point.

Branden - Carbotech's tend to run around $150/axle. http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads/saab.html

I would love to bump up to a slightly bigger rear rotor setup and make the handling a tad more neutral under braking. I should just buy a wrecked/salvage 93SS, strip it, cage it, and leave it close to stock power levels....probably would be a lot more fun than the damn vauxhall cavalier chassis.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
Thanks CT, that sounds like a pretty good starting point.

Branden - Carbotech's tend to run around $150/axle. http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads/saab.html

I would love to bump up to a slightly bigger rear rotor setup and make the handling a tad more neutral under braking. I should just buy a wrecked/salvage 93SS, strip it, cage it, and leave it close to stock power levels....probably would be a lot more fun than the damn vauxhall cavalier chassis.
yes it would
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
JK
Elder

W're going to be using a set of some top of the line raybestos race pads on the lemons car with Viggen/Aero brakes. It was a toss-up between some of the high-end Carbotechs or the Raybestos, but we opted for the later. I will certainly let people know how they worked out!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

bigger brakes

just go to WP PRO BRAKES 336 mm 6 pistons brakes for 17" wheels.
They will surely stop your SAAB!
I know for sure!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
JK
Elder

Well, for my scenario that is a no-go...doesn't fit the budget for a car that is very likely to get wrecked.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #9

too bad...do sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Well, for my scenario that is a no-go...doesn't fit the budget for a car that is very likely to get wrecked.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Let me know about those WP in ~10K miles. Mine are in the corner of the dyno room. On the second set of pads and the rotors are done. Cracked around the drill holes. Thats with the help of the 300mm rears.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 09-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #11

live & tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Let me know about those WP in ~10K miles. Mine are in the corner of the dyno room. On the second set of pads and the rotors are done. Cracked around the drill holes. Thats with the help of the 300mm rears.
I got the 330 mm in the back, and they surrely stop my SAAB!
As lasting, depends also on what they are put to...I don`t really kill them, except fast braking inside the city drive, or from some 150/160 km/h.
In Europe (except Germany), the highway max speed is 130 km/h, so you can go 140, within the tolerance limit
That`s where I usually brake for slowing/stopping.
Sure, there are split seconds when I over-step it to some 200-230 km/h, but there is no violent braking (usually on open road, completelly free).
The set I have is not for track/race, and I don`t do track/race, so hopefully they will last. If not, I can anytime go back to the Viggen 308 front/300 rear slotted rotors from you
Still waiting your answer, Sir...
Old 09-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_dumitrascu View Post
just go to WP PRO BRAKES 336 mm 6 pistons brakes for 17" wheels.
They will surely stop your SAAB!
I know for sure!
I'd rather find some sub-20lb wheels. And I'm probably dropping down to 16" wheels next year for gearing advantage. Or giving up on the OG9-3 chassis altogether. I don't know yet.

JK, let me know what you guys think of those pads...I've heard good things and I had no idea they had a Saab fitment!

Old 09-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
I was just recommended the Carbotech pads by a few Mini guys. Aparently they all swear by them. I'll be trying them out next

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #14

still holding

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
got some 10 k of Kms and they hold quite well...with the 330mm rear WP brakes.

Still dunno how they will hold after 20k kms, though!

Also, at full WOOT
My Troll is way under your Viggen, so I really don`t know what to say.
For the time being, I am very happy with this set-up (getting a good package deal price).
If the rotors will crack, I might simply order a set from them, not drilled, but grooved/carved.
For sure, I will let everyone know.

P.S. Seems I`ve found an F40 gearbox to start my 6 speeds project
Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
The videos of the XP10's seem awfully noisy... For a track car it would be fine, but for an everyday driver I'd go nuts. I'm sure they stop like hell though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I04mTh6GUDQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEurjJKXp3I

Or maybe there's just something wrong with the installation in those 2 videos.

Last edited by zingZACH; 02-10-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
Elder

yes. they're a full race pad. they are going to squeal until they get heat in them.

my ebc red stuff pads squeal when it's -10 out, until i've used them a bit and warm things up.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
Elder

^Same here, and they are also a bit hairy if you need to stop before they warm up.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in