Option for HX35 exhaust outlet... v-band? Welding?...??? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Option for HX35 exhaust outlet... v-band? Welding?...???

So I have this freshly rebuilt HX35 and I'm accumulating the rest of the piece parts to get everything together. This V-Band seems to be an odd size that I haven't been able to find a mate for. As you can see in the crappy pics, it's just over 2.5" ID and just a hair over 3" OD... I was thinking of having the 3" ID v-band adapter that I have welded to the housing, then it'd be easier to get onto my dp, but nobody local so far is confident enough to weld cast iron to mild steel..... If I find someone that can do this, will it hold up? I don't know enough about welding to have a clue about it. Any other suggestions to mount this up? I thought It was going to be easiest to get the v-band outlet, maybe I should have gone with a 5-bolt and an adapter I see on fleebay, too late now!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Hey Moosepuck,

There's a guy who occasionally pops up on ebay who sells these 3/8" thick plates that are the shape of the exhaust outlet there and it slip fits a 3" pipe. It's $20, and if you get that and some v-band flanges then you're all set

I'll try to find it for you on ebay.

EDIT

Just looked and no luck, just search 'holset' every few days or once a week maybe and you'll find one eventually. Here's his seller profile: http://myworld.ebay.com/boostbird

Good luck!

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden

Last edited by comtrang; 08-24-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Hey Moosepuck,

There's a guy who occasionally pops up on ebay who sells these 3/8" thick plates that are the shape of the exhaust outlet there and it slip fits a 3" pipe. It's $20, and if you get that and some v-band flanges then you're all set

I'll try to find it for you on ebay.

EDIT

Just looked and no luck, just search 'holset' every few days or once a week maybe and you'll find one eventually. Here's his seller profile: http://myworld.ebay.com/boostbird

Good luck!
That will nto help him for the style of exhaust outlet that his turbo has (see photos). It looks like it will need either the V-band from the car it came on, or have a more conventional sized V-band flange welded to the exhaust housing.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
a12

Yeah the flange form ebay will work well witha conventional v-band flange. Make sure the v-band flange has a long enough neck on it so it doesn't interfere with the studs and nuts to attach that setup to the turbine side.
I have seen a few on the internet where people have rewelded the stock Holset flange with a new v-band.
The v-band on the Holsets is extra thick, won't work with a normal vband clamp and mating flange, it's like a different standard v-band or something.
I used the ebay method.
I double stacked 2 of those flange pieces and had them welded together for extra strength, they don't look quite thick enough so I was worried about warpage from heat.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Ah I see, did not see the photos earlier. Not internally gated/off of a Dodge Ram.

What did you say this turbo came off of? Didn't you say it was some type of construction equipment?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #6

I can't remember the exact model, but it was off a Dodge truck, not many had the v-band outlet.... I may have to look for the piece that was originally attached to it....... Or, if I find out if the weld between cast iron and mild steel will be strong enough to handle it, I'll do it that way....

JK is right about that ebay flange not working, my housing is not set up for that... I wanted the non gated set up with v-band, thinking it might be cleaner... So welding? Will it hold?

Last edited by Moosepuck; 08-24-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #7

It might not have been a dodge truck, but from the assembly #, it was a Cummins 6BT for sure..... Here are some more reference pics:

Old 08-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #8

http://www.htturbo.com/th.htm

Maybe that "Angled exhaust outlet adapter" at the bottom of the page will work... I'll call tomorrow. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me awake!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #9

So there's a little difference here:

I found I have a broken exhaust stud too, broken about 1/4" deep too, that'll be fun....

For the exhaust outlet, I'm waiting on some parts from a Cummins distributor, from the pics, hopefully it'll be what I'm looking for.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
JZW
Elder

Its funny when you compare the stock turbo housing to the bigger turbos! It makes the small one look rediculous!
I had the same issue when I tried to get a v-band for my turbo outlet in 2.5", the standard 2.5 v-bands do not line up correctly. I need to find one off a truck and then use that. I also heard there is a pretty nice looking stock intake pipe on some of these trucks that might work well for a 4" inlet pipe from the filter.

Once you get the proper v-band, you can cut the end off your dp and then get a U-bend in 3" and fit a new bend in it and make the rest of the dp work.

You will be very happy with the top end power of the holset, it does not fade like the gt turbos or your current t28. You may come in a hair later, but it will keep pulling up top like crazy and I think you will find its a trade-off well worth the time and energy and money,

John
Old 08-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #11

So far the DP is the least of my worries, that seems relatively straight forward once I get the rest of the things in place......... I've got to find plugs for the coolant lines, the right oil feed line, banjo bolts, drain flange and line...get out that damn broken exhaust stud.... figure out the BPC hoses.... delivery pipe pipes..intercooler-cold side connections, hot-side..etc.etc...... of course you know the drill, just a little overwhelming at my point and time. I MIGHT....might hit you up for a tune... the one I'm currently on was quite rich on full boost so that's the one I'm starting with, I'll turn the boost request down to be a little safer... and for the tranny's sake, I'll probably make the boost transition a little more reserved.... shooting for a tranny saver tune...... just ordered and m12x1.5 to -4an banjo... probably going to order up som 4" rubber 90 degree hoses soon x3... then another K&N for it...etc.etc..... I'll find out Tuesday if the parts I ordered from Cummins will do the trick..........fingers crossed.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosepuck View Post
So far the DP is the least of my worries, that seems relatively straight forward once I get the rest of the things in place......... I've got to find plugs for the coolant lines, the right oil feed line, banjo bolts, drain flange and line...get out that damn broken exhaust stud.... figure out the BPC hoses.... delivery pipe pipes..intercooler-cold side connections, hot-side..etc.etc...... of course you know the drill, just a little overwhelming at my point and time. I MIGHT....might hit you up for a tune... the one I'm currently on was quite rich on full boost so that's the one I'm starting with, I'll turn the boost request down to be a little safer... and for the tranny's sake, I'll probably make the boost transition a little more reserved.... shooting for a tranny saver tune...... just ordered and m12x1.5 to -4an banjo... probably going to order up som 4" rubber 90 degree hoses soon x3... then another K&N for it...etc.etc..... I'll find out Tuesday if the parts I ordered from Cummins will do the trick..........fingers crossed.
THe plugs in s short block work well. Find a junk yard and steal the plug or any 14mm short bolt with a crush washer. Lots of parts can be had a atpturbo.com, but most can be found on ebay or jegs or summit.

John
Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #13

So I'll say that Cummins parts are even more expensive that Harley parts... Sheesh, just picked up my special size v-band clamp and stainless adapter for $106... I should be able to have a piece welded on it to accomodate my 3" v-band pieces to connect to my downpipe.... JZW, do you have any pics of how you supported your HX40, I can't do mine like Comtrang did his because I don't have those extra bolts in the exhaust housing, looks like my only option is to use one of the 4 bolts holding the exhaust housing to the center section... is that safe? I also picked up some VW drain plugs from ebay that looks like they'll be perfect to block the coolant passages...... Kinda sucks that I'll be on vacation all next week when most of my parts should come in....then again, I need the time off!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
JZW
Elder

Yes, that is how I did it and VIgge, run a metal piece from one of the turbine housing bolts to center section to the block.

You could do it like the Swedes and have those over-hang rods that support from the top from the valve cover

JOhn
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #15

Good to know, thanks for the input!... I'm going to pass on the overhangs though!!....suppose it works though!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
a12

On my Hy35 top mount,I ran the support from one of the exhaust studs that hold the adapter piece on the turbo to the threaded hole in the block below (stock support hole).
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #17

Good idea.... I may do both, one from the exhaust flange and one from the center section bolt....... I like to over-do things.......... Thanks a12!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in