B234 swap into '99 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
B234 swap into '99 9-3

My friend had some "troubles" with the stock B204 engine in his car, and after a TD04 swap the engine seized up. So he decided to just put a B234 into his car. During the NESAAB Dyno Day it made 200/310 at the wheels, with a spun bearing, on a stock turbo. The day of the turbo swap the car's specs were:

'99 9-3 SE (auto)
T5 Suite Stage 3
open filter
full 3" exhaust

Here's his own words:

Quote:
So here is the story. Bought my 99 9-3 SE auto. MBC for awhile, then open filter just for some turbo whistle. This wasn't enough of course so I deleted center and rear mufflers while I was bored at the shop one night. Faster spool up but still small exhaust. So I bought some pipe, found some more pipe and welded up a full turbo back 3". Of course exhaust without a tune is useless, so I asked around on the pages of this very forum and found a few helpful people, DanF and 88SPG helped guide me in the right direction. Dan threw a T5 Suite stage III on a junkyard ECU for me and I ran it at the Hampstead dyno day. Oddly the motor didn't make much power up high, and fell pretty flat after 3500. It did throw down curiously high torque at 310ftlbs. I expected more HP out of it too but only got 200. Anyway, the next couple days I notice that the turbo was getting pissed, making scary noises. It started burning oil so I pulled it off. This is where I made a fatal error. The oil pressure light was flashing every now and again while the turbo was making funny noises. Anyway, the turbo was off and it was smoked, more endplay than a short throw in a Civic. Can't put a small turbo back on, so I sourced a TD04. While waiting for it to arrive I decided to do my headgasket and get rid of the annoying coolant leak. Hell might was well do valve seals and powder coat the valve cover, charge piping and intake manifold while the turbo is headed my way. Throw it all together and idled it for fifteen or so minutes.... all good. Thermostat cycled through, all was good. Then Dan and I took it on a little drive. Halfway back it died. Hmmm... then it turned over nice and slow... hmmm... my cousin was headed back to the shop after picking up pizza so he gave us a short tow back. He was driving thumper, an 82 Rabbit, gutted, caged, lexan windows, big cams, nonsense everywhere, and my SAAB on the line. Short story long... the motor starved for oil. With a booster pack it started again, but it wasn't happy about it. Make pretty noises like a belt squeaking, but guess what, take belt off still makes noise. Autopsy revealed spun main bearings, but why? Clogged oil pickup of course, which is why the first turbo died. Now scared for my lil TD04 I checked for end play and to see how smoothly she spun, still good..... phew.
I've been helping him with T5 Suite for his car and we've found a hybrid .bin that should run in his car when the engine swap is over.

Here's some pics:

Old engine with powder-coated valve cover, intake manifold, throttle body pipe (after this pic they bought a powder coater... yay)

My buddy eating pizza on a sad day.

You can see the damage from oil starvation (purple colored metal) and the spun bearings.

Clogged oil screen (engine killer)

Donor car.
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

a good decision

Word on that swap!
Seems B234 never had problems with oil starvation, like B235/B205.
I have already decided to go this way, with the only regret that my forged pistons are for B235, so I will have to order others (if I don`t have the blind luck to get the stock B234 pistons made by Wossner-seems they were made by this German company, years ago).
You should also search a T7 DI...works better than the red DI (T5). But then you need another ECU, remaped, s.o....
Good luck with the swap!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #3

Cylinder bore is the same between the b234 and b235 so just order the right length forged rods. You can have a longer stroke, and lighter rotating assembly, and stronger overall setup.

win-win-win....

Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #4

forged everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Cylinder bore is the same between the b234 and b235 so just order the right length forged rods. You can have a longer stroke, and lighter rotating assembly, and stronger overall setup.

win-win-win....
Wouldn`t the stock B234 conn rods be good? Some custom forged rods can be made with a specific length? What would be that? Longer that stock B234, since the B235 piston is shorted, I guess...
please take me out of ignorance
Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to spanky
Boy i am glad that when i did my swap i didnt have to take out my motor and the donor motor.

Whats the hybrid bin? I just have a wizard stage 3 one mine.

92 dodge w250 cummins.....SOLD

97 900SE blk/blk, 5speed, TD04, upgraded fmic-----Back in the game

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0

Last edited by spanky; 08-19-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
Boy i am glad that when i did my swap i didnt have to take out my motor and the donor motor.

Whats the hybrid bin? I just have a wizard stage 3 one mine.
It's just called "hybrid" because that's what it was labeled as on ECUProject. What .bin did you use in your car? The 9-3 or 9000... (prior to T5Suite stage 3)

From reading some posts on ECUProject there are some differences:
fuel maps
ignition
etc...

Once the engine gets back into the car (made good progress today, but I'm leaving for NC either tomorrow or Fri. and won't be back till at least Sunday night.) we'll be able to see if the .bin works.
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to spanky
I am not sure of the bin, DeLorean flashed my ecu for me.

92 dodge w250 cummins.....SOLD

97 900SE blk/blk, 5speed, TD04, upgraded fmic-----Back in the game

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #8

Just got a call from my buddy... car is running and he's driving it around. Says he has only given it 1/4 throttle, to go easy on it, but it spins the tires... heh.

Cool.
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in