TDO4 needing new Seals=Upgrade or just Replace Seals? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Question TDO4 needing new Seals=Upgrade or just Replace Seals?

Turbo is the stock Viggen/9-3 HOT 5cm based turbo with no shaft play and clean looking turbine. It does need the seals dealt with.

Since the turbo is a-ok, seals aside, what would you do?

A) Have the seals replaced and have a larger housing made for the turbo?

B) Port/Polish it?

C) Larger Housing and Wheel?

I'm considering the upgrade path at some point in time, though with this particular turbo, wouldn't it make most sense to just have the seals dealt with, turbo cleaned, and leave it stock or would one of the above options be better knowing the seals need replacing.

Thanks for the input on this one!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Elder

how much $ do you have to put into it?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Depends on what you have planned for the car? If you are adding hardware to go a staged route or plan on having it tuned to your hardware I probably at this point send it to have a 19T wheel installed. if you plan on doing a different turbo completely i would just do seals now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
how much $ do you have to put into it?
This is an ultimate question. I do not plan to go any higher than 300WHP. Even 300WHP would be quite a feat to pull off "unless" I find my way into a very cheap Saab where I can use the money to do all the upgrades vs. the cost of the car (i.e. $1-$1.5K for the car, $2-$3K for upgrades).

Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDSPG View Post
Depends on what you have planned for the car? If you are adding hardware to go a staged route or plan on having it tuned to your hardware I probably at this point send it to have a 19T wheel installed. if you plan on doing a different turbo completely i would just do seals now
See my other response. I do plan to make more power either getting another Saab or possibly with the one I have now. But I'm thinking it may be a waste to do any mods to a turbo that is perfectly fine less needing new seals, and just find a super cheap core to send in to have it rebuilt w/larger housing and 19T or even a 16G. I'd like to have a 16G which never gets mentioned around here...heck, an 18G surely wouldn't hurt.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Elder

turbo upgrade should be the last thing you do. get a 3"dp or ets IC instead
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
turbo upgrade should be the last thing you do. get a 3"dp or ets IC instead
How about both?

I know the stocker TDO4 5cm can supposedly handle 300hp while the 6cm based one can handle 310hp...not a huge difference, but a difference...But this is talking about max hp from what I understand.

I suppose the question is how much HP/TQ can a TDO4-5cm based turbo with 3" DP, better Exhaust parts where flow is restricted, and a big FMIC would be able to pull off while still being reliable=not killing the engine.

Cheers!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
TSLMember

The stock TD04 6cm wont get you to 300hp. There are people using either an 18T or 19T that are making just over 300. The stock Mitsu turbo is only really good for 270 on a 2.0 (thats pushing it hard). See my second place stage 3 and under dyno chart from JZW's SOC post. 2000 9-3 TD04 5cm, T5 cams, exhaust, ETS IC, 3.5 bar FPR.... 233 and 285 or something like that. And Erics car on a 2.3 made around 265-275 if I remember.

Joel
Old 08-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

ive got the 6cm on my 9000 with 3inch and intercooler, and i pulled 265whp and 300wtq...i think he is talking 300bhp though i think im at about 305 to the crank
Old 08-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
TSLMember

Yea, a 2.3 motor and 6cm will be closer to 300. Your car makes some great numbers I saw that post in the Proof section, 200 something thousand miles nonetheless! I don't even know what car he has...for some reason my mind wasn't registering bhp.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #12

Thanks for the posts guys. Sounds like it's not worth having the TDO4 if one is going for some better HP especially seeing that one person's numbers with all those add-ons and only making 233WHP. I think my car now is probably "very close" to 200WHP and sure, 33WHP more would be nice, but that's not enough to make me want to buy a load of performance parts for.

Now that Aero making what it is making is a different story. Sounds like the T7 cars "really" need the 6cm housing at a minimum and then a T18 or T19 depending on preference of final HP/TQ goals.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
TSLMember

Its not that T7 cars specifically need the 6cm2 housing, but TD04s have small housings to begin with. If you are flowing any more air than a 15T wheel can, or even at the limits of the 15T wheel, it would greatly benefit your turbo if you put on the larger housing, 5cm2=tiny, someone said that equates to an a/r of like .39?

I specifically asked for a less aggressive tune from my tuner, but my car still makes about 250/260wheel torque until 4500rpms... its a huge improvement.

That being said, a 19T wheel with 6cm2 turbo (with injectors and full supporting HW), you can put down over 300 wheel hp and over 350 wheel torque, but not necessarily on a T7. Our pistons aren't the best.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J93O View Post
Its not that T7 cars specifically need the 6cm2 housing, but TD04s have small housings to begin with. If you are flowing any more air than a 15T wheel can, or even at the limits of the 15T wheel, it would greatly benefit your turbo if you put on the larger housing, 5cm2=tiny, someone said that equates to an a/r of like .39?

I specifically asked for a less aggressive tune from my tuner, but my car still makes about 250/260wheel torque until 4500rpms... its a huge improvement.

That being said, a 19T wheel with 6cm2 turbo (with injectors and full supporting HW), you can put down over 300 wheel hp and over 350 wheel torque, but not necessarily on a T7. Our pistons aren't the best.
Ahhhh...gotcha. Sounds like it's time to find my T5 suite ride for modifications. I'll just try to maintain the car I have on T7 since it is my wife's primary car, but I love driving it and am the driver when we go on trips and can push it to 140mph (fastest I was able to go since there's not enough open space on the two lane highways here). Wish I could take the car down to Nevada and ride out in the open there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in