6 pt braces ? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 AM  
Flirting With TSL Addiction

6 pt braces ?

can anyone with a 6 pt subframe brace tell me what the tubing diameter is? next fri/sat i will be building one (or an attempt), i was debating on like a 3/4 or 7/8 .125 wall tubing. thanks
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 PM  
SAAB Road Master

Shoot me an email reminder and I'll take a caliper to it first chance I get.
[email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:07 AM  
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
Can you take a bunch of pictures? My friend is thinking about making one for his 9-3.
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 PM  
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
i made my own too
loved the diff it made
https://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38616

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 08-16-2009, 04:58 PM  

yeah i will take pics.
what did you use to mount it up and did you go to the same places as the gs brace, just because im working off of the pic on there site. i elieve they use rivetnuts on theirs correct?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:48 PM  
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
this is where mine mounts up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 08-17-2009, 06:46 AM  
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr99vig View Post
yeah i will take pics.
what did you use to mount it up and did you go to the same places as the gs brace, just because im working off of the pic on there site. i elieve they use rivetnuts on theirs correct?
Just in one spot - passenger side rear mounting point.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:30 PM  

just bought the hardware kit from gs amoung a few other things but the kit was twelve dollars pretty sweet!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:20 AM  

anyone have the sketched picture from gs gallery its not working now and it would be nice to have. can email it too [email protected] if you do. thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 08:01 AM  
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Wow..

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 AM  
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
You should be able to sort out the details w/o the info regarding the GS unit. It's one thing to imitate it's another to rip-off. But, to each his own. All I can say is I am glad GS is around for the Saab communities sake.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:46 PM  
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Wow..
That's what i thought...

Old 08-21-2009, 07:31 PM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Campagna View Post
That's what i thought...
x2

Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 PM  

Lawfull alert!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Wow..
As someone swimming almost every second in the law's swamp (being a lawyer & liquidator of bankrupt companies), I can definetelly pull the alarm signal on this topic: one thing is to get inspired to some extend from what-so-ever you see arround you, in public space, and then go to your garage and manufacture something exclusivelly for private use and TOTALLY OTHER THING (let me tell you straight: BAD AND WRONG THING) is to carbon-copy an industrial design.
We are talking about intelectual and industrial property, which actually represent the factor of progress in this world...otherwise, we would be hunters, fisher-men or agricultors (by only as picking the fruits, not working the land).
So, bottom line, I strongly advise against such behaviour!
With such wrongfully posts, Nick can in any moment stop sharing with our community his knowledge and for any question/problem we might ask, he would be entitled to say: "come over our work-shop and we will get things done on a billing basis".
So please restrict yourself from "sharing" such technical details, at least on a public space. Otherwise, it would be like asking a guy from Microsoft what would be the code of that sh1tty programm of them....
Old 08-22-2009, 06:30 PM  

MP Performance sold a lot of what GS picked up and now sells. In turn, people that bought from MP before they sold out or when they were selling out "and" places like GS that now have all the leftover inventory made out like bandits and are still doing so. Not to say that GS is in the wrong for making money off of MP Performance's inventory, but why is this behavior not "worst" than taking cheap parts and building something that looks like the MP/GS stuff, but is not of the same quality/integrity as the MP/GS stuff? Sure, some out there may be able to come up with superior designs, but the majority of Saab people are not diyers when they know they can buy the part for not much more than what it would cost to 1) Custom fabricate, 2) Make at least somewhat as well as MP/GS stuff, 3) Time Time Time, etc. etc. I just don't see the few diyers out there taking a design and implementing their own version as being anything of a threat to companies that market a well founded design "unless" the diyer started to market the product and make comparisons, claiming theirs was more superior than GS's. Even then, people would still question the diyer vs. the company.

To make things more interesting is the people that have taken over the T5/T7/etc. suites and have hacked into them in order to form a business from it. This would be like taking MP/GS's exact materials, exact design, exact everything and replicating it, marketting it for 1/2 the price and proving it is the exact same thing, but 50% cheaper. But here, again, is where one can argue just how much business has been taken by people that have made a business from the tuning world of things. If a few have clearly stolen a lot of business from the prime tuners out there, then it becomes a bit problematic. At the same time, if the tuners doing this are sharing their knowledge together, it makes things much more effective to Saab people in the end.

Most every single product on the market has been replicated, but just as many millions of wannabe Iphones have been sold, far more real iphones have been sold. The company and the prime people working in the Saab or any industry will forever win over the diyers that are only in this whole scheme to be influential, help spare a lot of cost that they can spare (in spite their laborous efforts), and help others understand things better.

In the end, if GS was having issues business wise, I'm sure we would all support them to keep them alive and well. Same can be said of the tuners, and any other Saab influences that help each and every Saab lover and enthusiast.

My .02...for whatever it's worth or not worth...
Old 08-22-2009, 06:41 PM  
Elder

sure its called competition.

the Tx suites were all designed from scratched, people found there way into the ecu and reverse engineered it, just like the big names did way back when.

this dude didnt try to make his own design or anything, he blatantly was going to build one based off of Nicks design drawing he had in his gallery. now while nick probably doesnt have any patents, thats just bullshit to come on a forum and ask for someone elses design so you can build it yourself.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:50 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post

this dude didnt try to make his own design or anything, he blatantly was going to build one based off of Nicks design drawing he had in his gallery. now while nick probably doesnt have any patents, thats just bullshit to come on a forum and ask for someone elses design so you can build it yourself.
True, but the question is if the person can 1) Even build this brace like the GS one and 2) Why one person doing this makes any difference to the other customers that will never even see this thread, let alone care about someone doing their own.

I dunno...I can understand why one would be upset about someone doing this, but at the same time, I can understand why someone would want to save money.

The part that is unclear to me is if the OP got the instructions/kit design from Nick "only" so he could build one himself "without" telling Nick he planned to do so. This would be a different story...I would at least keep the thread off a forum and figure it out myself or ask Nick if it was ok with him and GS if I could build the brace for myself and even friends, but never to be marketed, etc.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:57 AM  

im am forced to build my own brace because of my downpipe, which you can say that i copied also. (just nowhere near as nice) the other fact is that i fabricate and have all the materials to do this project and in the end cost me $20 plus some time. the economy is slow and saving money is what has to be done. i am not the first nor will be the last to do this. its not for sale and nor will i sell any.

also trying to buy the correct rivnuts to drop in the frame is hard to get unless you buy a kit, which they also say you need a certain tool. just another note i have no idea what the gs brace is made out of so i used 7/8 tubing, maybe the same as theirs maybe not.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 AM  

the truth...

As always, is somewhere in the air... True the economy is slow. True we all get bits of data and info from arround ourselfs and use them to enhance out living.
BUT: copying is one thing (bad), while upgrading is another thing! It's a matter of perception: if the guy would have asked "what was the dimension of that frame of GS, because I think I just might build a stronger one", I could understand, but to ask how to copy it, that's not okay.
I remember some years ago, when the first SAABists started to tinker inside the ECU maps (sort of "ecuproject.com"), SAAB tryed to stop them, invoking intelectual property over the T5 and T7 suites. The new-frontier guys won, by saying they are not copying the suites, but creating newer ones, upgraded!
So it is a matter of perception!
On the other hand, I am one of the first subscribers on the "save saab" site, and I wonder how many of the guys enroled there would actually pay a penny out of theire pocket for the re-launching of Saab Automobiles A.B. So put the snorking declarations away, 'cause I really doubt there would be a long line of ppl waiting to give Nick some real money if GS would have problems. I know the world we are living, and for one thing, it is not a perfect one, yet perfecting by ourselfs.
Sorry for the whole debate!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 AM  
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
The key is here he called and fibbed about needing replacement hardware so we made him a special price thinking helping a customer with a problem, however it was not the case at all Thats all. Good luck with the build.

I am not going to get into the other mentioned here. You can ask James Dale that used to own Group9 about that stuff.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in