What are the best mods for me? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM  
Avid TSL User

What are the best mods for me?

I have a 1999 Saab 9-3 2.0l
What mods should i get that would give me the most Hp/Tq for the cheapest price?
I was thinking 3",catback,blow off, intake, and maybe ecu

any suggestions? and if this has already been posted let me know
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 AM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
3"DP and T5Suite. All those other things you posted (cat back, BOV, and intake) have little effect in making more power (the cat-back will help for 250hp+).

But really, before you go juice up the power there are three things that should be done.

1) Make sure the car is running in tip-top stock shape. New plugs, BPC, DI, PCV system, vacuum lines, etc

2) Improve the suspension and tires. These cars have shitty handling. A well sorted car with less power is more fun to drive and faster than a high power pig.

3) Improve the brakes. Goes along with 2.

Once those three things are addressed, you are ready to make power. Just my $0.02.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:13 AM  
Avid TSL User

and where would i find the 3"DP and T5Suite for the cheapest?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 AM  
Elder

Get a full 3inch JT exhaust system @Genuine Saab the whole thing is not much more than a DP. I agree about the suspension, I would do that first. Good rubber helps a ton also. As said above get you car in great running order first. After the mods will really work how they are supposed to
Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 AM  
Elder

With T5Suite, you can flash the cars ECU yourself. The program is free. You need to invest in a couple of pieces of hardware such as a lab power supply ($30-50)and a Background Debug Mode Tool (can be built or bought for about $20), any older laptop/PC will work. If you are mildly computer literate, it's easy to do.

www.ecuproject.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM  
Elder

I would invest in a T7 bypass valve. They are cheap and hold more boost
Old 08-13-2009, 11:40 AM  
Avid TSL User

how much more hp/tq would i get with just the 3" JT exhaust, dp and T5?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:48 AM  
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to nomadtw
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadys210 View Post
how much more hp/tq would i get with just the 3" JT exhaust, dp and T5?
which engine do you have? lpt or HOT?

ecuproject.com

you will find your answers there
Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 AM  
Avid TSL User

not sure. how would i find out?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:53 AM  
Elder

Well, that's adequate hardware for a T5Suite stage 2, maybe stage 3 if you were willing to push it.

T5Suite Easy tunes approximate HP/TQ (Crank, not wheels)
Stage 1 230/250
Stage 2 250/270
Stage 3 270/290

Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM  
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtw View Post
which engine do you have? lpt or HOT?

ecuproject.com

you will find your answers there
That doesn't matter in '99

There was no LPT. All you could get was the 185HP base model with a T25 and a doublepass intercooler or a SE 200HP model with a T25 and a crossflow intercooler.

The only difference in the cars was the intercooler and a mild software tweak. But T5suite can tune either car to the same approximate power levels. The better crossflow intercooler is a nice advantage though and will have better throttle response, less heat-soak etc.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:44 PM  
Elder

i have a 1997 with basically the same engine and here is what i have found to be the best to do (and beleive it is best to do this way i know from my failure to do so)

replaced all vacuum lines, made sure cooling system is perfect, good DI, Good Plugs, either upgrade or get new good ones, good tires (probably most important as this is what puts power to ground), strut bar (front and rear sway), springs/shocks (at the very least shocks don't just get prings not worth it), cross flow IC, intake (cheap and improves sound not so much HP), oil change.. no sludge

after you have done all of that go for the stage 2 or 3. get the parts talk to someone who knows and do the t5 yourself (cringe) get the JT full 3 inch as it is less than the just the DP and will work just as good at the low stage you are looking at.

i have the Crossflow Viggen IC, springs (bad idea don't go for the cheap way out now need new springs and shocks), rear 25mm sway bar (makes a huge difference), good rubber, GS Sport Rotors and Pro Ceramic Pads, Saab Sport cat back (other than sound doesn't do squat), GS Intake (good sound a bit more breathability), and t5 Stage 2 with 18lbs.

i made 201whp/240wtq at the dyno day and know that if i had done things the right way i would be much happier now and be able to enjoy the power and probably make a little bit more. Plus i wouldn't be breaking other things had i been smart and not gone for the cheap looks and what i thought made power.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:08 PM  
Elder

I would argue that the SaabSport can provide more benefit than any open style intake. The stock airbox with a panel filer upgrade is more than adequate. The intake does sound cool though...I like mine.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
PaulH Could probably give you the closest cheapest T5 tune, he frequents Orange County from time to time.

3 inch dp, and making up some sorta intake would be a good start also.

Best to buy a 22mm rear sway bar for the back too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 PM  
Elder

I heard saabsport gives a 5-10hp bump. It sounds amazing either way
Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 PM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in