Steering rack brace issues - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
TSLMember

Question Steering rack brace issues

I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with a steering rack brace?
After 2 months my steering rack in now slipping in the brace. (Its not meant to!) I've been led to believe that the manufactures tolerances can sometime mean the odd one can have issues. Typical!
So my next move is looking at placing some slim packing in the brace. Not ideal I know but the only way I believe?

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this?

Last edited by TopGear; 08-15-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
Casey has this brace on his Viggen. He got it from his friend for cheap because he had same issues just like you.

k1lsh00rty - ask him how to fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

no problems here...

although it seems virtualy the same item, I got mine from Nick T. (http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...products_id=36).
No problems with this part, yet, but them again, it simply might be Nick`s special touch for Saabs...
Hope you get it over. Anyway, you should ask Nick`s advise, he can really put things in line!
Lucian from over the Ocean

Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Does the brace look like it is tight around the rack? I know on U.S. cars we have 2 diff sized steering racks. The ones from earlier cars are larger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Call the place you bought it from.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
TSLMember

Sorry for the late reply, thought I'd set up my account to eamil me when I get a reply. duh!

Anyway................
Had a nother look at it yesterday and tried to measure the clearance between hte rack and the brace but couldn't even get a 0.10mm feeler gauge in there. So stripped it all down again and checked everythng was tight.

Turned out the bottom bolt wasn't as tight as it should have been so I decided to nip it up and put everything back together hoping that had sorted the problem out.
No chance!!!!!! Same as ever!

Oh well 2 hours wasted and back to the drawing board.

Think I'll contact the shop.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

does that have a back section attached?

I can't tell in the photo.

Doesn't look quite like mine. I have a brace the goes to the fender well also.

If you had the older style it's huge compared to the new ones. I tried to switch my NGen's to the Viggen and it's not even close....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
TSLMember

Yes, it has a back section. You can't see it in the photo as I was just highlighting the fixing bolts.
Here's the parts

And here's it fitted

Photo's a bit fuzzy on this one
Old 08-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #9

Ok, that's what i have.

You could try to wrap the shaft with an aluiminum can or something to make it a little bigger, then clamp Maybe that will get a better grip on it? - You shouldn't have to do that, nut maybe the brace is a little out of tolerance?

You could even add something like Q-bound to the clamp to make it grip he shaft better.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
TSLMember

I heard of another guy who contacted their steering rack brace supplier and got this reply:

"There does seem to be a very small amount of tolerance in the outer diameter of the steering racks on some of these cars.
A very small amount of movement will be fine, however you should also be ok to try and tighten a little more if this is possible, alternatively a strip of insulation tape under the clamp would also act to reduce any movement.
Regards
Paul "

He tried the tape trick and it worked but I have to admit the tin can idea sounds good to me.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
Elder

Mine's doing the same thing. I'm going to try a 3/4 circle of cut bicycle tube and spray adhesive. In my head it works great.

Be careful putting something in there though! I had one of the 2nd gen. MPPerformance milled aluminum versions. That one was jsut machined too small and it damaged the steering tube when I tightened it down. These racks aren't very fun to change-out.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
TSLMember

I like the idea of a bicycle tube because it has the ability to expand/contract as you tighten the clamp down.

hmmm.................now where's that old bike of mine
Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Since you have a RHD car, this isn't an issue of firewall splitting is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
TSLMember

Well they can be an issue but fingers crossed mine is ok up to now.
Just had a reply back from the dealer and is as folows..............

"Hello

There does seem to be some very very small amount of manufacturing tolerance
in the outside diameter of some of the steering racks fitted to these cars,
we are talking fractions of a millimeter. The trouble is here that if the
clamps are manufactured too tight then restricted steering is a distinct
possibility.

We have had one other customer besides yourself who has told us of a similar
problem, he was able to resolve this by simply wrapping a little electrical
insulating tape around the outside of the rack.

Regards
Paul"
Old 08-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I cut up a piece of radiator hose (~1/8" or ~3mm thick rubber) and placed it inside my clamp and tightened down. Doesn't budge at all now.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 AM   #16
TSLMember

Cool!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Mine's doing the same thing. I'm going to try a 3/4 circle of cut bicycle tube and spray adhesive. In my head it works great.
Thanks for the tip Drew,

Found some bicycle tubing in my shed, so cut a piece to size and glued it to the back part of the brace.
Fitted everything back together and hey presto!! Sorted!

Thanks for all you help lads.

Last edited by TopGear; 08-22-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #18

this is interesting... i have the identical brace i got from one of our techs. he claimed it was pinching is 01' viggen rack. i bought it off of him and put it on my 00' viggen. sure enough, on hard right turns the damn thing would lock the rack up and i would have to jerk the wheel back left to make it unstick. so with that said, it sounds like this company has had some issues with getting their tolerances right between batches. most say they are too loose and now i have one thats too tight. after some diliberation i simply added and subtracted washers between the two halves until it was just right.
hope thats helps.....

Casey
Old 08-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #19
TSLMember

I'm a little confused!

You mention yours was that tight it restricted the steering but I've tightened mine up as far as it can go and the rack is now solid but there is no sign of it restricting the steering at all.
On lock to lock its as smooth as it was before.

I did read somewhere else you had to be careful how tight you did these up but I can't figure out the problem.

On the original stock clamp it's nipped up tight and the only movement is how much flex is in the bush. The idea of the uprated clamp is to do away with the soggy feel of the bush but keep the restricted movement of the rack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in