blown turbo :D t28? 18t? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to spanky
blown turbo :D t28? 18t?

Well it appears that i have a blown TD04 5cm. I have a blown t25 from my old 2.0 motor. Which one would be better to get rebuilt and upgraded? Just so you know i have a 2.3 aero motor in the car. I assume i would need to upgrade my fuel system because its all stock, along with a reflash.

Derek

92 dodge w250 cummins.....SOLD

97 900SE blk/blk, 5speed, TD04, upgraded fmic-----Back in the game

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Elder

To take the next step its best to get an intercooler, full 3" exhaust, a tune, injectors, and obviously a bigger turbo. Its kind of down to your preference; TD04s are tried and true while fewer go with a T28 build. T28s can make more power as far as I know, but TD04s are a bit stronger. It really comes down to who rebuilds it as to how long it lasts.

I had a TD04 and a T25 to choose from when I decided to upgrade (by Chadwick), and went with my T25 rebuilt to a true big T28 (GT28 wheels). I have heard that these T28 turbos can flow more than TD04 18t, but are comparable to a 6cm2 housing 19t. And wouldnt doubt it because my car pulls harder and harder to the redline.

Bottom line is either will put a smile on your face!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:35 AM   #3

I already have an ets intercooler. I also thought that the saab sport was good to like 400 horse or something until it became restrictive.

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0

Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
TSLMember

Anybody ever bother with a Evo 3 big 16g? They are known to flow enough for 400hp and there's an Eclipse making hair short of 500hp on one. You can pick them up relatively cheaply on Craigslist or any DSM classifieds. I picked up a used E316G, E3 ex manifold and E3 O2 housing for $300 and the turbo was in perfect condition up until I sold the car. Adapting it to the Saab should only be a matter of the T25/Mitsu adapter plate (eBay) and fabbing a connection to your downpipe. Also the oil feed fitting is smaller on the TD04 CHRA vs. the TD05 (I figured out a $2 workaround the banjo fitting). Personally I don't understand why all the Saab owners push those tiny TD04s. On a 2 liter DSM that would be a choke point putting a TD04 turbo on a stroked 2.3 DSM would be ludicrous, that exhaust housing/turbine is just not up to the task. With 2.3 liters you could could hit full boost at 3.8k on a TD06 20g which is guaranteed big enough for 500hp.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Elder

Well, if you want to run a healthy setup at those power levels, you are definately better off running a full 3" exhaust.

But on the turbo; if you can find an adapter plate, then you can try it out. The only thing will be that you would have to make some oil/coolant lines since the stock hardlines will not fit. These cars are very different to DSMs, so dont try and assume that all the information you know from those cars will apply to Saabs.

|
|
Old 08-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #6

i found a t25/28 hybrid. how that work out on my motor. that setup would spool rather quick right.

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Old 08-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Elder

Any turbo larger than stock will spool slower, but I find that my T28 spools up pretty quick considering it can flow the same as a GT28rs. Some tuners like Jak Stoll do a t25/t28 hybrid as their stage 5 turbo, which flow wise is comparable to a TD04 18t.

|
|
Old 08-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
TSLMember

I'm just saying that most Saab owners seem to have pretty limited options when it comes to affordable turbo upgrades. Anything bigger than a 15t/t28 requires pricey exhaust manifolds. The compressor map for the 18t puts it at 485cfm, the E316g map puts a 580cfm, TD06 20g 640cfm. The oil and coolant line placement appear identical, as they should be, on the TD04 CHRA. My first Talon was an auto with a TD04 13g which I replaced with a TD05 14b when it died, I've performed the swap.

The plate that I'm referring to http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DSM-1...Q5fAccessories is $40.

The only unproven element is placement and attachment of the downpipe.

3" exhaust is nice but not necessary especially with a tiny turbo. I ran around on the 16g with nothing more than a MBC, massive FMIC and Denso 210lph for quite while and the car ran perfectly.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
Elder

Every car has different points where it will run well. Once you go big turbo (ie anything bigger than the T25s, TD04s etc) the EGTs start going up and up. Without a full 3" exhaust, those EGTs start getting dangerously high. Im sure you know that. These arent really that small, you can still get 300 chp out of a TD04 15t... They are small in comparison to the ones you listed. Most Garrett turbos up to the GT35 will fit on the stock exhaust manifold, as well as upgraded TD04s (18t or 19t, 5cm2 housing or 6cm2 housing).

The other issue with larger turbos is clearance on these cars. Anything bigger than a Disco potato (GT28 ) will start getting close to the fan. But obviously, any turbo can be put on given enough space and an adapter plate or a new header. The dp flange can be made, whether you have to modify the dp more is kind of an issue you can see when you put everything on for a test.

|
|
Old 08-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Call G-Pop SHop or Blouche Turbo and you can get a 19 Upgrade with a ported exhaust housing for around $350 using your core.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in