B234 swap instead of B235 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

B234 swap instead of B235

Well, after burning an stock 9-3 AERO B205 engine back in 2005, I recently managed to do it again...B235 engine almost fucked...the bearings on the crankshaft and engine block (3rd point, I think) were not enought oiled and died...taking with them a connecting rod!
Initially, I thought the pistons are fucked! And after some initial tryes with JE, I went with Wossner Forged Pistons.
But the main problem remains...I kill engines because of poor lubrication.
Now, I have decided to switch to 5W-30 and a bigger oil filter, but the main problem remains: bigger torque and revs...bigger work on the joints of the engine.
My mechanic, whom I 110% trust (he can make even a tank to go), said he will delete my balance chain/shaft (don`t know exactelly what he`s talking about).
But then, he said: "If I would have known what you are going to demand from this tuned car, I would have searched for a B234 block!
This idea, together with the ideea that the connecting rods of B234 are wayy better than the B235 connecting rods (actually, good as Verdi forged connecting rods) made me really think of a B234 swap instead of my B235 current engine.
Well, guys, what do you think/advise? I understand the B234 engines are virtually indistructible, made from the very beginning reliable for more than 400 HP...
beside the engine block, what else would I need (I already have the T5 cams). Will the pistons fit?, etc...(just to know what should I get into my budget)!
standing by!
Lucian (from over the Ocean)...

P.S. valuable info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Here are all the parts you'll need for the B234:

From Eeuroparts.com
8822033 Cylinder Head Gasket Set
8822041E Valve Cover Gasket
9173576 Oil Pump Seal
9130600 Oil Pump O-Ring
9131145 Timing Chain (Endless) !
9145376 Timing chain guide (tensioner)
32000421 Chain Guide
9113937 Turbocharger Gasket
9145418 Main Bearings Set

From thesaabsite.com, or genuinesaab.com
75-88-783 Thrust Washer Set
02-69-304 Rod Bearing Set
9145459 Connecting bearings

Add new piston rings (get these from Saab, not from thesaabsite)

Total parts cost is about $350. The engine might cost $350-450....

If you've already bought a B235R engine to rebuild, then you'll need forged pistons ($600) AND all the things mentioned above.....
I, for one, miss Mike Saunders!

Last edited by av_dumitrascu; 08-02-2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: add...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Elder

although the car burned to a crisp kaylan (aerodynamic) was putting close to 500 whp on a stock b234 before she upgraded the internals

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #3

what year is your car? mainly because if its t7 you will need to just swap everything off the block. sounds petty easy and that is my plan for my viggen, picked up a complete engine with a blown head gasket for 250.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Even with a B234 block you will still be using the crap b235 oil pump (which is way worse than the b234's).

If you really think that you have a lubrication issue I suggest trying to find a way to improve that aspect as well.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #5

slowly gathering bits of info

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr99vig View Post
what year is your car? mainly because if its t7 you will need to just swap everything off the block. sounds petty easy and that is my plan for my viggen, picked up a complete engine with a blown head gasket for 250.
I have a Saab 2003 (but old gen.), T7. Keep us posted with your project, dcr99vig;653213!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Even with a B234 block you will still be using the crap b235 oil pump (which is way worse than the b234's).
If you really think that you have a lubrication issue I suggest trying to find a way to improve that aspect as well.
Well, I have already started a topic on the better lubrication for the Vigg, and I already decided to forget about 0W 40 and go to 5W 30. Also, ordered an oil gauge, simply because the on-board signal commes up at some 0,8-0,6 bar, while this engine works at some 6 bars and fries at even 1,5 bars (so the stock instrument can only signalize "dude, you just melted your engine!" ).
Also, decided to give it a try with the Amsoil 026 huuuge oil filter.
So what else can be done? Can that sloppy oil pump be upgraded/changed?

Slowly gathering bits of information, from over the Ocean...
Lucian
Old 08-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
He's not around much anymore but search for posts by the user Mike Saunders. He did this to his t7 car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 08-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #7

yeah they have lubrication problems but if you change the oil regularly and have the updated crank ventilation should be fine. also he was running 0w 50 oil thats a huge factor there.

i have over 170000 on my engine with no sludge at all and no oiling issues. "knock on wood"
Old 08-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr99vig View Post
yeah they have lubrication problems but if you change the oil regularly and have the updated crank ventilation should be fine. "
Please detail about this "updated crank ventilation...". Seems Dave have done something at the internal breathing of his engine...any details?

Also, will the B235 pistons fit the B234? (stock bore)
Many thanks!

Last edited by av_dumitrascu; 08-02-2009 at 04:27 AM. Reason: add...
Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 AM   #9

missing him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
He's not around much anymore but search for posts by the user Mike Saunders. He did this to his t7 car.
Anyone knows what happened to Mike Saunders?
I, for one, miss his valuable input!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i have heard of people putting T7 heads on b234 lower ends before without any issues,, it seams to really be the way to go

shoot Green9kaero a PM, he knows alot more about the swap than me
Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

I used a b234 lower end on my viggen rebuild. The only thing you have to be sure of is that the B234 is from a 1993 or newer TURBO 9000. The other thing is that you need to use the headgasket from the B234 and not he B235for compression issues. All in all, the B234 has stronger pistons and rods. It has also been debated that the actual block is stronger, but I don't know if I buy that, they are nearly identical except for a few extra screw holes. Let me know if you have any other questions. Basically use all the T7 ancillaries, and the B234 block and internals and you will be all set.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaedge View Post
I used a b234 lower end on my viggen rebuild. The only thing you have to be sure of is that the B234 is from a 1993 or newer TURBO 9000. The other thing is that you need to use the headgasket from the B234 and not he B235for compression issues. All in all, the B234 has stronger pistons and rods. It has also been debated that the actual block is stronger, but I don't know if I buy that, they are nearly identical except for a few extra screw holes. Let me know if you have any other questions. Basically use all the T7 ancillaries, and the B234 block and internals and you will be all set.
Yep. What he said. I didn the same in my 9-5. Its pretty straightforward. One change might be to use the T5 cams from the B234 head into the T7 head, I've heard the T7 head flows better due to smaller valve stems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in