let`s talk about Turbo, baby! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

let`s talk about Turbo, baby!

Well, here we go again:
I have a 2.3 Convertible, MY03 (old gen.) - the Vigg!
I have done almost all the upgrades, less than TURBO & INJECTORS!
I do not want a bigger fuel consumption, nor a turbo lagg, simply because I want it for street, I am not failling for HP! And I would like to be bolt-on!
Frankly, I have read hundreds of topics, but none clarified THA BIG QUESTION:
"WHAT BOLD-ON TURBOCHARGER SHOULD I USE, TO UPGRADE MY CAR, BUT NOT TO INCREASE THE FUEL USE OR TO GET TURBO LAGG?"

I have found a couple of choises, like:
- Garrett GT28RS;
- Garrett GTBB30;
- TD04HL19T #6.

I must confess, around here in Romania, I really don`t have with who to discuss and clarify this sort of things, since the tuning business here is more like tinting the windows and sticking decals on the car

Anyone on this forum used this turbochargers? Any input? What should I use?
Further more, any good source for this turbos?

Thanks for info!

Lucian (SAAB brum-brum)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Elder

the turbo shouldnt hurt fuel consumption.... but the tune that you need to make the turbo give you more power, that might effect mileage! you will be safe as long as you keep your foot out of the Throttle body!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Elder

The GT28 and GT30 are not 100% bolt on, as you will need to change all the oil and coolant lines to make those work. The closest you will find for bolt on turbos is the TD04 that you listed. Once you step up to larger turbos, you will gain more lag. This can be partially offset by more aggressive timing but thats a fact of life.

Honestly, I have a big t28 and 500cc injectors (with a tune and every mod) and my gas mileage is better haha. So dont be worried about that. However if you use your right foot generously, you will go through gas faster (ask me how I know).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #4

just some thoughts

Since I live & drive in an European country, where the max. speed is 90 km/h except highway (130), I cannot go that fast and frankly, I am tired to petition against police tickets (not that I am not good at it), so I have decided to simply go on cruise control at 100 Km/h (they cannot fee me, being in the legal error marje), so with a full tank (65 liters) I go some 1.100 km (hihi!!!).
In city, there is another story: traffic jams and stop&goes at the traffic lights, so no issue here.
Now, I have absolutelly no problem going for bigger injectors (any advise here wellcomed), but will I need another fuel pump/spacers/washers?
To draw a line (up until now), I should go for a TD04HL19T #6 and bigger injectors? How bigger?

Thanks for inputs!
Lucian from over the Ocean
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Well just like I told you before..
if top speed is 130k then you cant use the more power of third gear so we are limited by traction not horsepower. So the fix is traction and keep the turbo you have since a larger turbo will shift power registry higher in the rpm range making you usable power less in the range you specify. I have had all three of those turbos on my Viggen and a few other customer Viggens.

Just like I told you before T5 camshafts, 6cm exhaust housing and you are done.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #6

following your great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Well just like I told you before..
if top speed is 130k then you cant use the more power of third gear so we are limited by traction not horsepower. So the fix is traction and keep the turbo you have since a larger turbo will shift power registry higher in the rpm range making you usable power less in the range you specify. I have had all three of those turbos on my Viggen and a few other customer Viggens.

Hi, there, Nick!
Of course I followed your valuable advises...I already got T5 camshafts, just waitting to mount them together with the JE forged pistons that I am waiting from you (I understand they are still to come from coating).
So last issues were:
- bigger injectors;
- turbo;
- gearkit.
I got clarified with the gearkit for now (6th gear actually smaller than 5th stock), so remains in discussion the bigger injectors and the turbo.
Can you provide me a 6cm housing for my TD04 stock turbocharger?
What about the bigger injectors? Do I really need them for what I want from my car? (fast spool-up for street driving, not racing...).
As always, your advice will be greatelly apreciated!
Thanks a lot!
Lucian
Old 07-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
If the goal is this speed range then a revvy 2.0 would be my choice. Then work on traction there is enough go already just traction limited.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #8

traction control

Well, I already put uprated bushings, 6 point sub-brace, ARB, etc. from you.
Also, installed an Quaife LSD (great update).
Now waitting for the Koni Kit Sport (also from you) and I think I am set with traction control...
The 6 cm exhaust housing for the turbocharger and the bigger injectors are in discussion.
Help...
Old 07-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Wow, sounds like you've got quite a nice list of parts going on there! Wish I had a set of JE pistons and a LSD..

Have fun!

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #10

Lsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Wow, sounds like you've got quite a nice list of parts going on there! Wish I had a set of JE pistons and a LSD..

Have fun!
Well, we all know what a Viggen means in terms of driveability...not so balanced with the raw torque of that suuuper engine - stock.
BUT, when you upgrade your engine, then the real problems come: I am not talking about a drag car, that runs in line, I am talking about a street car, that can steer in a corner as it should steer, and accelerate without wheelslip or burn-outs or traction loss.
Frankly, I have knocked quite some people around, trying to gather info if I should take the LSD or not, for my street car. Not a very cheap upgrade.
But after Nick T. and Richard (from elkparts) explained me what it really does, I decided to go for it.
NOW, HALF A MONTH LATER, I DO NOT REGRET IT, ACTUALLY I AM LOVING THE WAY MY VIGG. RUNS! AND BOY, IT RUNS!!!

Regarding the JE forged pistons, I decided the aquisition "just in case" (if ever my stock pistons will die, to be able to rebuild the engine with upgraded parts).
Now all I am asking is advise if I should go for bigger injectors.
And I need a 6 cm exhaust housing for my TD04 HL15 stock turbocharger. Any1?
Thanks.
L
Old 07-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #11

project almost completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Who can help me witha 6cm exhaust housing for my TD04HL15 turbocharger?

With a little help, I can finish my project, courtesy to:
- Nick T. for all the guidlines and a lot of great tuning parts (list available by request, but long...very loooong, trust me);
- JZW for a custom re-map for my ECU;
- e1kparts for theire help with an Quaife LSD;
- Dawid at cheap_saab_parts for T5 cams, 2.3 crankshaft & connecting rods; and
- whoever will deliver me an exh. housing.
Also, thanks to Uncle Relu (the Romanian mechanic tinkering to my SAAB and often not understanding everything, yet completing his job...to my huge surprise!

Now waiting only for the 6cm exhaust housing...

Thanks, guys, YOU ARE REALLY SAVING SAAB!!!

Last edited by av_dumitrascu; 07-23-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: completed
Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Elder

PM chadwick on here, he rebuilt my turbo to a 'big' T28 and it is extremely well done.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in