current projects. *pictures* - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

current projects. *pictures*

Intake pipe is done, but now I need to finish up my heat shield so I can mount the catch can on the back.

I need to somehow piece this together haha. Catch can is just waiting for the heat shield.

this method does not work... any suggestions?

My new grill... haha

I don't know how I got it to fit.

painted the cross bar thing as well

I don't think it's too bad.

Last edited by 9k aero; 07-18-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Nice.

Pickup an o2 socket to get the sensor off.

Where'd you move the horns to?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #3

its tucked in, on the right of the interocooler. Still functional

Old 07-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

A crow's foot "socket" will also work, unless that's an "o2" socket.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to nomadtw
this gets me thinking... not that i'd need it [yet], but there's no reason you couldn't run two intercoolers right? one above the top of the bumper in the grill, and another below?

or would using the single large one, half covered up like that be more effective?
Old 07-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtw View Post
this gets me thinking... not that i'd need it [yet], but there's no reason you couldn't run two intercoolers right? one above the top of the bumper in the grill, and another below?

or would using the single large one, half covered up like that be more effective?
There's no reason to really ever have two intercoolers. One large one works great.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Old 07-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
There's no reason to really ever have two intercoolers. One large one works great.
in my mind, as a wannabe engineer, it seems like that extra air volume would cause additional lag, as when the turbo spooled up it would have to pressurize that additional volume before the boost hit fully, and that having two intercoolers, which had the same airflow cross section as the single big IC, but not having that section in the middle would be more ideal

can someone explain the bigger intercooler advantage in more difficult to understand language so i can understand it?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Elder

running 2 intercoolers would be way more difficult, needing 2 y connections and then almost double the charge piping,also the extra piping would then make the volume of the whole intake system close to, if not more than the volume of a single large intercooler.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Elder

oh yeah, nice work 9K Aero!
Old 07-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
running 2 intercoolers would be way more difficult, needing 2 y connections and then almost double the charge piping,also the extra piping would then make the volume of the whole intake system close to, if not more than the volume of a single large intercooler.
hmmm i can see that, although i was assuming them run serially, which would cut down on the extra piping, also all of the air would have airflow and be cooled, instead of having the section in the middle which went through and basically wasn't cooled at all, other than through heatsinking....
Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Elder

if you ran the IC's in either series or parallel, you would still have a bunch of extra charge pipe, running in series you would have to have a u from the outlet of one to the inlet of the other, and then more pipe from the second IC back to where you would have to connect the pipe to the TB.

i think running in parallel would actually use less piping and also be more efficient, because a y connection is less restrictive to air flow than a complete 180* bend.

either way you plumbed it you would need either 2 180* bends or 2 y connections.

so in my mind a parallel twin IC setup would be the more efficient of the 2, but still less efficient than a single large IC.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
if you ran the IC's in either series or parallel, you would still have a bunch of extra charge pipe, running in series you would have to have a u from the outlet of one to the inlet of the other, and then more pipe from the second IC back to where you would have to connect the pipe to the TB.

i think running in parallel would actually use less piping and also be more efficient, because a y connection is less restrictive to air flow than a complete 180* bend.

either way you plumbed it you would need either 2 180* bends or 2 y connections.

so in my mind a parallel twin IC setup would be the more efficient of the 2, but still less efficient than a single large IC.
but what about the ~5" of IC that the air is going through and not being cooled?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #13

honestly, one large intercooler with two pipes is MUCH simpler than two intercoolers, having some really custom piping that may not even fit. The difference in performance is not worth it.

@turbojohnny - thanks man!

EDIT: added one more picture
Old 07-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9k aero View Post
honestly, one large intercooler with two pipes is MUCH simpler than two intercoolers, having some really custom piping that may not even fit. The difference in performance is not worth it.

@turbojohnny - thanks man!

EDIT: added one more picture
please don't think that i'm trying to knock your setup, because i'm not. i'm just trying to figure out the absolute ideal setup...

i'll probably never ever be at the level that you're at, although i hope some day i will be
Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #15

@nomadtw - Yeah I know, its cool man. I'm just giving you some advice so you don't have to go through all the trouble of making a dual ic setup.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #16
Elder

the ~5" sitting behind the crash bar really isn't that big of a deal, the air passing through the intercooler is dispersed across a larger surface area, allowing the heat in the charge air more of an area to dissipate through. even though it is directly behind the crash bar, there is still some air moving through the IC. if you had a dual IC setup just imagine all of the extra pipe that the air is moving through that isn't doing much of anything to cool the air at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in