Quaife 6 speeds gearkit - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quaife 6 speeds gearkit

It it my first post, even if I am at the 5th SAAB and 7 years of loving this cars!
And I will take it directly to the BIG LEAGUE: What about the Quaife 6 speeds gearkit for F25 & F35 gearboxes?
I am talking about the semi-helical one (street wise), not the straight-cut (which is only for racing and track).
Until now, a version is already available in US (http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=743), and the Europeans are fighting to finish theire product (seems a Scotish company is developing a street-wise gearkit, together with Quaife Ltd., UK - see http://maptun.com/shopProduct.php?pi...&hl=197&cg=688).
The bits and pieces of infos from the net are not clarifying things:
- is this kit really street-wise?
- what are exactelly the ratios and the final drive ratio?
- at 7000 RPM, in the 6th gear a SAAB would "run" faster than at 7000 RPM in the stock 5th gear?
- is this kit reliable?
- anyone on this forum used it?
...and so on...

Frankly, I would order one right now, but Nick T. (respects, man!) really oposed to my idea, thus tempering me a little.

Any info/opinions/reviews/observations/experiences would be greately appreciated, if shared here!

Lucian (SAAB brum-brum)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Elder

first of all welcome to the link!

second of all, to my knowledge nobody on this board has done the 6 spd gear conversion on their 5 spd other than maybe nick himself?. it's an awful lot of work!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Elder

Wow, big plans! The gear ratio in 6th gear is longer, and therefore will support higher speeds (although I dont know the difference in rpm). Obviously this is quite a bit stronger in terms of the gear assembly than a stock f25/35 tranny, so it will add a bit of security when upping the power!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Borrowing from Nick's gallery to show the speeds with the Quaife kit vs stock.

Quaife

Stock (Read the note at the bottom under the table on this one)

Old 07-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #5

slowly advancing...

thanks, guys!
valuable info on this issue, especially from Nick (who is advising me NOT to go for this mod.)
Any other oppinions?
C`mon..I`ve seen here Ylee Coyotee with a straight-cut, and Nick T. with a street semihelical, but no input from them.
Patientelly waiting for more data
Regards from over the Ocean!
Lucian (SAAB brum-brum)
Old 07-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Elder

Lucian,

Share why Nick is advising against? Are you just not putting enough through your 5-speed to necessitate it? Or the install cost, or what?

Best,
Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
Lucian,

Share why Nick is advising against? Are you just not putting enough through your 5-speed to necessitate it? Or the install cost, or what?

Best,
Drew
Well, seems Nick consider that I do not need 6 speeds for my 280 HPs... Which is actually quite an issue, since IMHO having 6 speeds is good even for under 200 HP.
On this side of Atlantic, the brave lads of Scotland are tinkering, in coop with Quaife UK to another version of the gearkit, MORE street-wise.
Be damned if I know what to conclude...
P.S. And "yes", it's not a cheap mod... Over 3 grands, that's why I say "the Big League"!
Give me input...
Lucian (SAAB brum-brum)
Old 07-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
Elder

I think that having a full 6 speeds will be a great improvement, especially when considering the spacing of the gear ratios. Most people are only going for the Quaife gearset because it is seen as an upgrade to help the tranny cope with the power rather than increase the driveability of the car (this is what Nick is probably getting at).

I say go for it, all the people who have used it so far are happy. Plus, Quaife has been around more predominantly in other cars and have shown to be one of the best so I cant see how you can be disappointed.

|
|
Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You can Only "Buy" what is sold to you. Whether you sell it to yourself or not.

If you want it Buy it. But Get yourself an Extra Box to Make your 6speed with. So you have the option to "go Back" if you run into Problems.

If your on the East Coast I can Help you with that Project. Sounds Like a Trick upgrade of your a TRUE Gearhead.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #10
Elder

isnt the 6th gear just a viggen 5th gear (if i read it right) meaning that everything below it is rediculously short, and not conducive to normal driving, unless you lowerf the final drive, but i dont see any need for that unledd your vigge and doing top speed/standing mile contests.

higher rpm's all the time is not always a good thing due to the wear and tear, although fuel mileage will usually stay relatively the same because your throttle input at the pedal is decreased to maintain a certain rpm, even though its higher.

i can definitely see why nick would try to sway you away from it unless you were really making enough power to need it.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
isnt the 6th gear just a viggen 5th gear (if i read it right) meaning that everything below it is rediculously short, and not conducive to normal driving, unless you lowerf the final drive, but i dont see any need for that unledd your vigge and doing top speed/standing mile contests.

higher rpm's all the time is not always a good thing due to the wear and tear, although fuel mileage will usually stay relatively the same because your throttle input at the pedal is decreased to maintain a certain rpm, even though its higher.

i can definitely see why nick would try to sway you away from it unless you were really making enough power to need it.
Quaiffe 6th gear ration is .704, viggen 5th gear ration is .660. It's shown in the tables I posted from Nick's photo gallery.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
I
I say go for it, all the people who have used it so far are happy. Plus, Quaife has been around more predominantly in other cars and have shown to be one of the best so I cant see how you can be disappointed.
Do you have any contact info regarding others using the 6 speed gearset? I know ylee has a set, but do not know of any others.

I am anxious to do something, just not quite sure what I'm going to do. I have heard the set is good to 350-400hp but not sure if it is suitable for 500+ and beyond.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Quaiffe 6th gear ration is .704, viggen 5th gear ration is .660. It's shown in the tables I posted from Nick's photo gallery.
ah ignore me i read the note at the bottom of the second graph.

the rest still applies.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #14

THIS is a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
ah ignore me i read the note at the bottom of the second graph.

the rest still applies.
Well, this is one of the faces of the problem:
- is this gearbox faster that the stock F25/F35? Seems the 1st gear "yes"...but dunno about the 6th gear...
- what is the final drive ratio of this gearbox, and what is the stock F25 final drive ratio, so I can compare the two;
- would the maximul speed of the car @ 7000 RPM be with the kit bigger that with the stock F25 gearbox?
& so on...
Lack of info kills me

PS: and "YES", I am on the EAST, only of the Europe...so it would be quite difficult for me to tinker at my gearbox with you, Harvey
bring on some more details!

Lucian
Old 07-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #15

Smile oh yeah, it`s good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveship View Post
Do you have any contact info regarding others using the 6 speed gearset? I know ylee has a set, but do not know of any others.

I am anxious to do something, just not quite sure what I'm going to do. I have heard the set is good to 350-400hp but not sure if it is suitable for 500+ and beyond.

Thanks,
Dave
Well, it seems this gearbox gets more and more better to higher power...Nick advise to use it at true value for over 500 HP.
AND IT IS BUILD FOR UP TO 1.000 NM!!! just like the LSD, is guarranted even in racing situations, me thinks...

Lucian (SAAB brum-brum)
Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
Elder

Lucian if you look at the tables I posted you'll see the speeds calculated out by RPM for each gear. The stock gearing will produce higher speeds then what the quaiffe will produce if top end speed is your goal.

Quaiffe at 7200 RPM is 188mph. Stock at 7200 RPM is 201mph. The final drive is also listed in the table there for reference purposes. Also, the final drive is the same between any of the viggen and standard 9-3 turbo's regardless of T5 or T7. Just checked that in WIS.

Last edited by NahumCC; 07-19-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_dumitrascu View Post
Well, it seems this gearbox gets more and more better to higher power...Nick advise to use it at true value for over 500 HP.
AND IT IS BUILD FOR UP TO 1.000 NM!!! just like the LSD, is guarranted even in racing situations, me thinks...

Lucian (SAAB brum-brum)

Spoke to the quaife rep and he said 500hp would be pushing it.....no guarantees either. If he could guarantee 500hp, I would buy a set today.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #18
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
It is a product where need is dictated by your powerband and what the car is doing. In other words the math. Not "because I need 6 gears since 1 more than 5 is better". For street you have to understand how the gearing change will make the car act in daily use.

You also have to remember that you are still using the stock final drive so you have to decide where the greatest risk of failure is. This will also be determined by how you are using the gearbox and the type of failure that is caused by that abuse.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #19

one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Lucian if you look at the tables I posted you'll see the speeds calculated out by RPM for each gear. The stock gearing will produce higher speeds then what the quaiffe will produce if top end speed is your goal.

Quaiffe at 7200 RPM is 188mph. Stock at 7200 RPM is 201mph. The final drive is also listed in the table there for reference purposes. Also, the final drive is the same between any of the viggen and standard 9-3 turbo's regardless of T5 or T7. Just checked that in WIS.
even for F25 gearbox (like mine)?
Because I read somewhere that the F25 stock is:
1st Gear Ratio 3.38:1
2nd Gear Ratio 1.76:1
3rd Gear Ratio 1.12:1
4th Gear Ratio 0.89:1
5th Gear Ratio 0.77:1

if this is correct, it makes sense to take it...please confirm...
Lucian (from over the Ocean)
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_dumitrascu View Post
even for F25 gearbox (like mine)?
Because I read somewhere that the F25 stock is:
1st Gear Ratio 3.38:1
2nd Gear Ratio 1.76:1
3rd Gear Ratio 1.12:1
4th Gear Ratio 0.89:1
5th Gear Ratio 0.77:1

if this is correct, it makes sense to take it...please confirm...
Lucian (from over the Ocean)
I was just saying that the final drive should be the same between the Viggen's gear box and the f25.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
wife beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in