Recommendation on a Cat - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Elder

Recommendation on a Cat

So that CEL came back for the rear o2 sensor. My mechanic, John Williams, and the readings from the tech 2 seem to lead to the magnaflow cat that is in my exhaust now takes too long to warm up. It warms up after the 'startup' procedure for the o2 sensors are over and is throwing the CEL.

So this means that I am looking to get a new cat. I had my eye on the GS race cat, but was wondering if you guys have some recommendations?

Thanks as always!

Edit: The reason how I know the cat takes too long is that on the tech 2, you can see how the pulsing current from the o2 sensors are graphed on screen. It also indicates the pre-heater as well, which were all reading normal as were the voltage readings from both sensors. The upstream sensor would shoot right up and start ossilating while the rear would take a very long time to come up (wave length was excessively long until driven). If anyone has a re-occuring CEL for the rear o2 sensor, that may be the cause.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by christian900se; 07-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
So that CEL came back for the rear o2 sensor. My mechanic, John Williams, and the readings from the tech 2 seem to lead to the magnaflow cat that is in my exhaust now takes too long to warm up. It warms up after the 'startup' procedure for the o2 sensors are over and is throwing the CEL.

So this means that I am looking to get a new cat. I had my eye on the GS race cat, but was wondering if you guys have some recommendations?

Thanks as always!

Edit: The reason how I know the cat takes too long is that on the tech 2, you can see how the pulsing current from the o2 sensors are graphed on screen. It also indicates the pre-heater as well, which were all reading normal as were the voltage readings from both sensors. The upstream sensor would shoot right up and start ossilating while the rear would take a very long time to come up (wave length was excessively long until driven). If anyone has a re-occuring CEL for the rear o2 sensor, that may be the cause.
Good Luck with that thoery, Thats Very Similar to How they work Properly too...Maybe add a Ground Strap to your cat first. And solder the Wiring harness outside of the firewall Below the strut bar. Thats where the Crimps that need atention for the O2s are. Resolder those.The ones in the Main Engine harness. Both of those fixes are for "96 model year only" O2 Code's Per old Saab tsb's from the 90's And yes they do fix the problems too. For Free.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 07-08-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Elder

cross posting

Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Elder

Hmmm, my car is a 1996. The junction for the o2 sensor in the main harness was replaced, before the o2 sensor just so it was sure that was not the issue.

|
|
Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
cross posting
haha, I changed it alittle bit for you

|
|
Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Now see, I would have recommended a Calico.
But obviously you're talking about different kinds of cats here.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Elder

Thats why I said cats, there seems to be quite a following here haha. Yep, different cats

|
|
Old 07-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Now see, I would have recommended a Calico.
But obviously you're talking about different kinds of cats here.
LOL. I have a Calico. I hate it. I am quite fond of my V2 Dp though. Christian, at these crazy power levels, you do have an aftermarket DP right ??
Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Elder

Nope, stock exhaust*

JSP 3" exhaust, the welds arent great so when I have a new cat put in, I will have some pin holes welded up as well.

|
|
Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
JZW
Elder

I forgot to tell you another method that has worked for quite a few people. There is something called a plug fouler and that has worked very well to keep the second 02 sensor from throwing a cel. You go to the parts store and buy 2 of the plug foulers, hollow out one of them so the threads of the 02 sensor can go through it and then thread in the 02 sensor through the second one and that will dampen the signals so you do not get the cel for too high or too low of a current.

This may be worth a shot as its only about 9 bucks and it has helped many people to avoid those pesky rear 02 sensor cels. The other option is having me turn off the rear 02.

good luck,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in