Gearbox build fun - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
JZW
Elder

Gearbox build fun

Finally got the "special" ring gear in and we started the rebuild for the 4.45 final drive and LSD. We got the tranny off and apart, the inside of my 2000 93 gear-box was in really good shape, we were pleasantly surprised.

THe clutch was a little glazed, but no real damage, so not sure where the strange card in a spoke noise was coming from. Will put on stg 5 disk anyway, we had one problem where the disk did not want to come off the splines of the shaft, maybe some inner clutch hub damage.

We got it all torn down and went to install the new ring gear and then put the 20 tooth 4.45 final drive pinion shaft in place. Uh OH, too much slop, we count the new "special" 525.00 ring gear teeth, holy crap, its the same exact one I already have in my 2000 93 box!!!!

After waiting 2 months and paying over double for the "special" ring gear, I end up with the same thing I already had and still cannot run the 4.45 gearing. So, now its either run the LSD or the 4.45, I am opting to run the LSD now and figure this out later.

Pics of my buddy Steve helping to rebuild the tranny. The only issues we found were a worn third gear syncro and the crush washer had a hair-line crack, so its good I torn it down.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0369.jpg (89.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0365.jpg (96.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0366.jpg (94.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0368.jpg (89.1 KB, 73 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

keeps ya busy....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Elder

Nice, maybe the person you bought it from was saying its an upgrade for the new gen tranny? They might have assumed you had the stock ng gearbox in there, but oh well. The LSD will make a world of difference!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
JZW
Elder

No, we talked to Rob and they knew exactly what we were doing as they have built that tranny gearing before and were trying to convince Kaylan to do the same mod for her car, but she likes the long gears.

I had to pay special for the special gear, but it was actually nothing special, just a stock 2000 ring gear!

John
Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Elder

thats gay!

isnt the 4.45 ring gear the same ratio as say... a 94 NA 9000, or a 90-93 NA 9000....

My 9000 was rediculasly torquey with the NA box, but would redline 135 MPH at 6k.

your NG is WAY TO FAST to use that box!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
Elder

^haha, what he said... I would think you have way more than enough power to handle that "long" gearing. Well, at least you now know that your box had it in the first place (if thats any consolation haha).

|
|
Old 06-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green9kAERO View Post
thats gay!

isnt the 4.45 ring gear the same ratio as say... a 94 NA 9000, or a 90-93 NA 9000....

My 9000 was rediculasly torquey with the NA box, but would redline 135 MPH at 6k.

The ring gear in a v6 na ng900 had the 4.45 and the 2.0 9k's, the issue is not getting the ring gear stock, its getting the ring gear that is 4.45 and will bolt up to the later style LSD since they do not make the older style anymore.

THe 4.45 is almost identical to the quiafe 6 speed in third fourth and fith gear, its within 2mph, so its like having a quiafe 6 speed without the overdrive or 6th gear.

It is not about having enough power, its about keeping the car in the power band just as nordic did with the rediculous quaife na 6 speed. Robert went through all 6 gears in the 1/4 mile, but went 10:4 at 142mph

John
Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
It is not about having enough power, its about keeping the car in the power band just as nordic did with the rediculous quaife na 6 speed. Robert went through all 6 gears in the 1/4 mile, but went 10:4 at 142mph

John
WOW, i never would have thought that shifting all 6 gears would be smart for the 1/4 mile. thats really badass!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
thats gay!

Don't forget that at Johns 7500 redline speed is 170 mph, no dought his engine would pull this too.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
JZW
Elder

Gear-box is done, I estimate about 16 hours

We checked and double checked and then took apart and checked again, but in the end it went well, the tolerences look great and its back together with LSD and 4:05 final drive.

Will install unsprung hub clutch disk and super clamp PP and see how it all comes together with my flow matched blue giant 1000cc injectors,

John
Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAERO View Post
Don't forget that at Johns 7500 redline speed is 170 mph, no dought his engine would pull this too.
I thought I remember Nick having it calculated at 177mph at 7200, which would be more than enough for what I wanted to do with the car. I talked to Rob and Eric today, the issue seemed to arrise when Robert passed on the correct ring gear number to the sales team and then somehow as the number got superceeded, it got taken from the v6 na car to a 4 cylinder na car. Hence the 4.45 became the standard na 4.05.

The end result is still unknown, I have enough parts to build another box, if no LSd can be made, maybe a 4.45 with welded spider gears

John
Old 06-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
I thought I remember Nick having it calculated at 177mph at 7200, which would be more than enough for what I wanted to do with the car. I
what happened to driving the standing mile or is the target "that" low
Old 06-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
The end result is still unknown, I have enough parts to build another box, if no LSd can be made, maybe a 4.45 with welded spider gears

John
Mike and i wanted to do that to my 9k before we bring it to the dragstrip but then i figured i wont be trailering the car, so it will be a nightmare to drive to the track!

I forgot about that crazy rev limit you have!
JP

Old 06-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
JZW
Elder

Yea, Gary runs the 4.45 in his road race car and that is what sold me on the idea, it was an awesome set-up with the 18t and no matter where we were on the track, he had instant throttle response and he turned the fastest lap times at the event that weekend out performing many Porsches and a few exotic cars.

We were hitting 165+ on the back straight

Quick teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRMlUHMiq8c

John
Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigge View Post
what happened to driving the standing mile or is the target "that" low
Yea, I only want to join the 150mph club Nothing fun happens above that speed

This set-up was to put the slicks to good use on the drag strip, for standing mile I would probably go a different route!

John
Old 06-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #16
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Mike and i wanted to do that to my 9k before we bring it to the dragstrip but then i figured i wont be trailering the car, so it will be a nightmare to drive to the track!

I forgot about that crazy rev limit you have!
JP
I have heard the only real issue is that it makes a rattchetting noise as you take tight corners, just like a 4wd with lockers, that click-clack sound. It would not be bad on gradual corners, but the tight ones would be a little bit of an issue, good for drag racing, bad for road racing or auto-cross.

Also, should not dyno with a locked diff

John
Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #17

i have heard it is very difficult to setup a diff if you have never done it before. i am a mechanic by trait, (on construction equip) i am just wondering if its something that i could figure out with some manuals. my buddy works at a saab shop so i can prob borrow a special tool if needed
Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
JZW
Elder

With the WIS, it gives a lot of great information and the biggest part is having the right gear pullers to split cases and pull the gears and bearings. My buddy had about 1500.00 worth of snap-on gear pullers that worked well to get the box apart.

There are ways to get around the saab specialty tools needed to rebuild a gear-box, but some decent gear pullers are definetely needed. Dial indicators and the like are also very useful.

John
Old 06-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #19

yeah we have tons of differnt pullers at work and my buddy has wis on his laptop. just wondering. i will prob try it myself when the time comes.

$1500 of snap0on pullers? whats that like two pullers... haha jk.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
Elder

there are many a video of homemade spools exploding on dyno's. i know of several drag strips where welded diffs are not allowed, and if you have one explode (only way they'd find out about it) you will be banned from the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in