She's too low! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to Geudrik
She's too low!

I put in the Koni Sport Kit (here) and for even normal vermont driving, it's too low, only in the front. I love the ride and the handling, but I'm about an inch and a half too low. So, I got to thinking. Why can't I just put in a lift kit? SUPER simple on this car. All that I'd need to do is create some sort of bushing that go around the Strut and sit under the spring, with a handy groove cut into them to not only let the spring sit nicly but also to sit nicly in the strut - everything would lock right into place and my car would be about 1.5" higher

The Issue: I can't find anyone to make me this piece. I called Nick and he said no and nobody else I know is capable. Anyone have any idea's where I can get these two parts made (Left Front and Right Front) - hell, I'd even be willing to be a beta tester

Last edited by Geudrik; 06-16-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Elder

Why do you say its "about an inch and a half too low"?

Too low regarding what?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
JK
Elder

I assume he means the car sits too low.

Any reason you didn't stick with something like Viggen springs coupled with the Koni struts and shocks?

Seems odd that you would buy lowering springs if you didn't want to lower the car...

Old 06-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Elder

what car are you talking NG or 9-3 and didn't you see that the sport kit lowers your car? I heard people saying that that kit on a viggen even brought the nose up some. Whats rubbing, exhaust or bumpers/skirts?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
JK
Elder

The kit he posted was the for the 9-3, I assume that's what he has.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
TSLMember

I did want to lower the car, just not quite this much. Besides, low = smaller center of gravity Also, I LOVE the handling and responsiveness of these springs. My fallback option is to put viggen springs in, but I'd rather just find some sort of spacer - wouldn't need to buy another set of springs that way.

Yes, I was referring to the height of my car when I say low. All I need is an inch and a half, no more. I'd settle for an inch - any higher and the purpose of the sport kid is negated :-\
Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Elder

seems to me it would be easier to adjust your driving style to the lower front bumper, than it would be to try to raise the front end

you could just buy nicks coilovers with slightly softer springs
Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
TSLMember

Yes, it is a 9-3 SE HOT (see my broken turbo thread...)
Over 90mph the front wheels rub, but the real issue is bottoming out (my oil pan is toast next leaf I hit, I swear) going over pot-holes, bumps, frost heaves and just cracks in the road. At the lowest spot on the undercarriage, I have exactly 3 3/4" of clearance :-\

In general, I ride around at about 90% firm because any softer and I'll bottom out on every little bump I hit. Also, I live in a neighborhood with speed bumps (the sink-hole kind). To get through them, it's 5mpg and going over them at an angle. It's fubar :-\
Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Straitup D
i have had cars with about 2 2.5 in of clearance from the crossmember and have had no issues with them, who installed the kit? IIRC it should only lower it by 45mm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/StraitupD/untitled.jpg
Quote:
I'm really looking forward to your apology, because I love telling people to "get fucked"
Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
Elder

i am really not sure how you are bottoming out etc... are you sure that the springs are installed properly? (fronts in the front and rears in the rear as that would make a huge difference)

I am running the Voigtland springs from GS with stock shocks (so it will be as low as possible since the shocks will do nothing to support the car) and have no problems with rubbing over certain speeds (very odd means you have some strange downforce or something else happening) or scraping anything unless i go over serious speed bumps and then only the midbody flaps and my mudflaps scrape a little. No issues with oil pan or anything else. not even the bumper and i drive a talladega. Ask anyone that has seen my car... it is very very very low... i really think there is something other than the springs causing an issue. esp if they are installed correctly because there really isn't a way those springs and shocks would cause the issues you are describing..
Old 06-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
My 6 point subframe brace is 4 fingers off the ground at it's lowest point. That's roughly 3" inches. I have felt it/heard it hit twice in the 8 months I've had it on.

Most lowering springs for our cars are 35mm. That's slightly less then 1.5". Sounds like you needed a lift kit to begin with!

You could try finding some poly spaces intended for lifting Jeeps. Modify to fit. That's actually what I'm thinking about doing due to my tire rubbing issue.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
Elder

yeah, i'm gonna have to say you have a problem with your install.

pics? what is the fender --> ground clearance?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
what size tires are you running?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
Elder

yeah from what you said about where you drive you may need to check your driving style as well. Complaining about 5mph over speed bumps? sorry but with a lowered car or really any car with sport suspension you would be doing that. lifting the car up would give you more clearence however you will still seriously screw up your car hitting speed bumps etc at more than 5mph..
Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
JK
Elder

Yeah, I would think that the Koni springs shouldn't have lowered the car much more than 2" (just looking at a ruler on my wall and taking a random guess), and if that's the case then raising it up 1.5" should be around the height of a set of Viggen springs...maybe even higher.

Something seems odd. I'd love to see photos as well.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
TSLMember

I'll take pics tonight, hope iPone pics suit y'all its all I have. The fronts are in the front, the rears are in the rear. Wasn't much complaining about going slow over bumps, its the random potholes when im doing intersate speeds that really hurt. Also, my oil pan seems to be what taking the brunt of the drag when I do bottom out - can't show a pic, but theres a very clear worn spot on the bottom near the plug of the pan.

Gimme a few hours, and I'll post pics when i get home from work.

Thanks for the idea of the Jeep lift kit spacers - shouldn't be too hard to modify.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
I helped him install the springs, they are installed correctly, I assure you. It's impossible to swap fronts for rears.

I, too, am surprised it's an issue. I've been driving a 9-3 with the koni springs and dampers for 4 years now. It has never bothered me, even on shitty VT roads. You gotta expect some compromises in driving with a lowered car.

I think he has lowish profile tires on 16" wheels. I think the smaller rolling diameter is killing him.

If it were me, I'd buy bigger wheels/tires first....it's more expensive than throwing on Viggen springs, but a lot less work.

EDIT - Also, if high speed potholes are killing you, than running the dampers at full firm is actually counter productive...a high frequency hit like that is best taken with a softer rebound setting.

Sounds like you should get a skid plate and aim to miss big holes

Post your tire size up Pat and I can confirm if your rolling diameter is too small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 8valvegrowl; 06-16-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
Elder

Alright, this sounds exactly like my issue back when I had lowering springs installed incorrectly. This is what you should do first. Jack up one side of the front and check if the spring is loose when you bring the tire off the ground. I found this on my car, and was bottoming out all the time especially at higher speeds like you.

Anyways, I would try that first since its an easy indicator.

|
|
Old 06-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
I think he has lowish profile tires on 16" wheels. I think the smaller rolling diameter is killing him.

EDIT - Also, if high speed potholes are killing you, than running the dampers at full firm is actually counter productive...a high frequency hit like that is best taken with a softer rebound setting.

Sounds like you should get a skid plate and aim to miss big holes
and that answers it. i have 205/55 R16s on my tally so i have a bit more cushion and a little more clearance.

x2 on the full firm. You want a bit of give so it cushions. Basically the wheel moves while the body stays still...

x2 on skid plate. a VW buddy of mine is getting a hold of huge sheets of aluminum and he and i may be fabricating some skid plates. if it works out and isn't too expensive etc i may find out about getting a group buy or something or pass on info.

also if the oil pan is hitting that seems odd because it really isn't the lowest point of the car. close but not usually. the plastic skid plates and bumpers etc are much lower (well by much i mean like 1/4" or less)
Old 06-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
Where in VT are you?

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in