What oil is best for Vig - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

What oil is best for Vig

The SAAB dealers use only Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and say that any other oil will not cool the turbo and cause it to overheat. Is full synthetic oil best cause i have heard from a few friends in the Subaru club that they use semi synthetic oil as it does not get very cold or very hot here( 0 degrees clsius min, and 32 degrees celsius max). It is service time again and would love to save a bit of cash on the ridiculous price of the Mobil1 if possible.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Elder

well, since you've been running synthetic for so long, going back to dyno or semi synthetic could potentially cause all of your seals to fail, causing your motor to piss oil everywhere. some people say this will happen, some people say it wont. i have never experienced it, and have no intention to try it.

personally i run royal purple 10w40, and dont mind spending the extra $25 an oil change on good synthetic oil
Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to d_hughes__09
I use 5w40 AMSOIL European formula, I have heard nothing but good about it and it's designed for turbo cars. Fully synthetic but it's also fairly pricey.

'92 N/A C900S - Stage winter

Last edited by d_hughes__09; 06-05-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to szucman
i use the castrol syntec
Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
WASSAB Member
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Immo Send a message via MSN to Immo Send a message via Yahoo to Immo Send a message via Skype™ to Immo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
personally i run royal purple 10w40, and dont mind spending the extra $25 an oil change on good synthetic oil
x2

2002 9-3 Viggen Convertible (Silver w/Blue Top)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8

Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Thanks alot!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Another over hashed question.

The short of it is that everyone has a preference on brand. If you have been running synthetic almost all sources recommend you continue to do so. Pick a reputable full synthetic brand and run 5w40 and you should be right as rain.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Elder

I've been on Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-40 for about 55k miles and have had no problems with the car.

Fair amount of track use as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
I've been on Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-40 for about 55k miles and have had no problems with the car.

Fair amount of track use as well.
Another legit option.

I just run 5w40 all year round myself as it covers the spectrum quite well here in MN.

If you wanna stick to the letter of the oil nerd law for our cars 0w40 in winter and 10w40 in summer.

Or you can split the difference
Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
Elder

I like Shell Rotella 5w 40, I actually noticed a difference in smoothness in my engine operation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Aside from the oil needing to be a certain weight, as discussed above, it is important to let the car run at idle for 30sec or more, before turning the motor off. This allows the oil to continue circulating a little bit more through the turbo, cooling it, instead of turning the motor off immediately cooking the slug of oil in the turbo, advancing the oil breakdown process. IMO.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I do not like supporting wallyworld but you can get a 5qt jug of mobil1 for $20-25, that's what I use in my viggen & spg.

I use royal purple in my harley since that's what the dealership sells.... otherwise I would use mobil1 or another one of the many synthetic fluids.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 06-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdegracia View Post
Aside from the oil needing to be a certain weight, as discussed above, it is important to let the car run at idle for 30sec or more, before turning the motor off. This allows the oil to continue circulating a little bit more through the turbo, cooling it, instead of turning the motor off immediately cooking the slug of oil in the turbo, advancing the oil breakdown process. IMO.
this right here will make more of a difference in terms of turbo life than almost anything. The water cooling helps alleviate this problem, but can not solve it. If you don't feel like sitting there for 30sec before shutdown, just stay out of boost for the last mile or so of your journey, or just drive gingerly through your neighborhood until you arrive at home. Then let it idle as you undo your seatbelt, turn off the radio, gather belongings, roll up windows, etc. shut it down. It will make your turbo=
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I second 5w40 AMSOIL European formula. While it cost more, you can change less frequestly. I used to change Moble 1 every 2500 miles, however now with Amsoil I go 5000 miles. My Amsoil rep swears it can go 20K w/ no break down (and has data to prove it), but I like piece of mind....10K would be realistic IMO though, but 5K makes me feel good

x-VWer:

Old 06-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
I do not like supporting wallyworld but you can get a 5qt jug of mobil1 for $20-25, that's what I use in my viggen & spg.

I use royal purple in my harley since that's what the dealership sells.... otherwise I would use mobil1 or another one of the many synthetic fluids.
Yep. I get Mobil 1 at Wallyworld. Every once and a while Royal Purple goes on sale. Then I pick up enough for 2 changes.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
I second 5w40 AMSOIL European formula. While it cost more, you can change less frequestly. I used to change Moble 1 every 2500 miles, however now with Amsoil I go 5000 miles. My Amsoil rep swears it can go 20K w/ no break down (and has data to prove it), but I like piece of mind....10K would be realistic IMO though, but 5K makes me feel good
yea... that's the problem, the synthetic oil breaking down isn't the problem. It's the oil picking up all the contaminants that does the oil in. Getting 20K miles out of oil is definantly do-able, it's just you should use amsoils extra filter to keep the contaminants out of the oil & I beleive they change that oil filter every 5 or 10K miles.

I go 3-4K between oil changes... no matter what synthetic oil I put in there I will not go longer then 4K.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
yea... that's the problem, the synthetic oil breaking down isn't the problem. It's the oil picking up all the contaminants that does the oil in. Getting 20K miles out of oil is definantly do-able, it's just you should use amsoils extra filter to keep the contaminants out of the oil & I beleive they change that oil filter every 5 or 10K miles.

I go 3-4K between oil changes... no matter what synthetic oil I put in there I will not go longer then 4K.
I'll never understand why folks will spend thousands on a vehicle and try to save 20 bucks by extending oil changes.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Synthetic Rotella works great for me.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #19
TSLMember

I run Pentosin synthetic 5w40 in the Viggen.

I run Mobil1 (5qt jugs from W-M for $28 or so) in everything else I own.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I'll never understand why folks will spend thousands on a vehicle and try to save 20 bucks by extending oil changes.
Agreed.

Tires and regular fluid changes w/ quality replacements are key to optimum performance. So, many people pass on this sort of minimum care and move straight into their favorite after market item instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in