Launch Control - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Launch Control

Ok so a buddy of mine turbo'd his tercel and swapped in a JDM Starlet motor in his Tercel and Has launch control. Its all controlled with a MSD Ignition Box?
Now I want to do this same setup as he did so What MSD Ignition Box would I need and also what wires coming off the D.I are what? Like which ones the signal wire ect.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
Not gonna happen with msd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #3

What can I do it with? Can you help me out VW? Im either going to make my Saab a Weekend Warrior now. And get another Daily Driver.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Elder

unless you're some sort of genius/ electrical engineer i wouldn't even attempt to try to do this to a saab. i think Trionic will probably slaughter you.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #5

Hmmmm. I am sorta. Lol. SIKE! I dont know. Damn shoulda boughta HONDA YO, to get launch control hah. Ohh well.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to saab4life93t
one word..... NIRA.... in a nutshell-standalone fuel management that can do just about anything. Nick has antilag on his 2.0 drag car... hes using NIRA... its expensive and requires the wiring of a new wiring harness... have fun.
2002 viggen current

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Elder

Yeah, launch control on our cars is kind of pointless to begin with. Are you going to drive on drag slicks? If not, there is very little benefit because of wheel spin. Plus its not good for the engine and turbo to begin with IIRC.

|
|

Last edited by christian900se; 06-01-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
Yeah, launch control on our cars is kind of pointless to begin with. Are you going to drive on drag slicks? If not, there is very little benefit because of wheel spin. Plus its not good for the engine and turbo to begin with IIRC.
uh what? lets clarify

launch control - holds a certain rpm at the line, usually has an mph shutoff to keep you from spinning like mad off the line, once you hit say 10mph its lets the revs go.

anti lag - advanced ignition causing mixture ignition in the exhaust manifold/turbo exhaust housing to spool the turbo.

launch control doesn't damage anything, it just a second rev limiter, anti-lag can cause damage in the long term

nira is most likely the only way to get either on a saab.

your best launch control will still be your right foot and how well you can feather the clutch.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Methinks somebody needs to look into T5suite + CAN USB + CarPC.
Check out ecuproject.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPC User Manual

The dashboard contains some advanced functions for tuners. These are accessed in several ways.

Launch control

A launch control function has been added to the dashboard which can be accessed in two ways, either
by double clicking the RPM gauge in the main screen or by activating it in the exit screen. It will only
be activated if the vehicle is not moving (speed = 0).
Once launch control is active, the RPM gauge will turn red in stead of orange and the maximum
achievable engine speed will be limited to 4000 rpm. Once the vehicle starts moving (speed >= 15
km/h) launch control will automatically be deactivated. You can also manually deactivate it by once
more double click the rpm gauge or the button the exit screen. On deactivation the rpm limit will be
restored to its previous value.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
launch control doesn't damage anything, it just a second rev limiter, anti-lag can cause damage in the long term

your best launch control will still be your right foot and how well you can feather the clutch.
Oh wow, I completely switched them around. Thanks for clarifying
My main point was traction; you can brake boost as well for another option since thats not just a technique for us auto guys

|
|
Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
Brake boosting puts you into base base boost

stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
Elder

Even with a new tune?

|
|
Old 06-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #13

Yea its base boost, as i recall reading somewhere the car doesnt boost, or only boosts a little bit if it is not under load... why is this again?
Old 06-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Elder

If there is no load on the engine, so the ECU only injects a limited amound of fuel which means that there is a small amount of exhaust gases so the turbo cant spool up quick enough.

|
|
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
Yes, MSD makes 2 step launch controls (rpm limiter style) i dont think theres anyway to make it work with the DI though. (wait) Maybe that doesnt matter as a 2 step launch control is controlled with fuel, not spark as christian said.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline406 View Post
Yes, MSD makes 2 step launch controls (rpm limiter style) i dont think theres anyway to make it work with the DI though. (wait) Maybe that doesnt matter as a 2 step launch control is controlled with fuel, not spark as christian said.
Waittttt. Thats what I was looking for then. Some more input on this please?!?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #17
Elder

2 step units are controlled via rpm, not fuel.

if you looked for two seconds youd see that even the MSD gets wired into the coil on normal cars.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
Avid TSL User

you could technically do a launch control quite easily with T5 and a laptop or whatever mini computer connected to trionic via can.

on the computer place a button that sends a can message to drop the rev limiter down to whatever 4000rpm or so. then read the speed values through can and once its above a certain limit restore the rpm limiter back to old value.

you could add to the same setup a system that checks if the speed is <1km/h it would retard the ignition to -15deg and lower the injector const a tad. (antilag) then restore these values when speed >1 ..
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekonna View Post
you could technically do a launch control quite easily with T5 and a laptop or whatever mini computer connected to trionic via can.

on the computer place a button that sends a can message to drop the rev limiter down to whatever 4000rpm or so. then read the speed values through can and once its above a certain limit restore the rpm limiter back to old value.

you could add to the same setup a system that checks if the speed is <1km/h it would retard the ignition to -15deg and lower the injector const a tad. (antilag) then restore these values when speed >1 ..
Ok so Im going to look into this more. Is can = Canbus?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998TurboSaab View Post
Ok so Im going to look into this more. Is can = Canbus?
Yes CAN = CAN BUS and you use CAN USB to access it.

I would like to refer you back to post #9...

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Methinks somebody needs to look into T5suite + CAN USB + CarPC.
Check out ecuproject.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in