Nordic Stage 4 Problems - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Nordic Stage 4 Problems

Ok So I just picked up this stage 4 ecu from Spanky and was wondering Im only pushing 22psi. My old automotion is pushing 22psi and that was a stage 2. So im confused here do I need to adjust my base boost on my wastegate? Im under the impression a Stage 4 Nordic should be pushing somewhere between 25+ PSI?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Elder

fuel cut is ~25psi, and afaik that cant be changed without going to a 3 or 5 bar map sensor.

are you running the proper td04? 22psi from a td04 will be more air than 22psi from a t25....

does the car seem faster?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Trollerator
Elder

22 psi seems like a lot for a stage 2

a set amount of boost isn't what makes a tune a certain stage anyways. It's combo of boost, timing, igntion and other things to be honest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #4

Yes it def seems faster. The stage 2 would need 3/4 throttle just to get the tires to lose traction. Stage 4 I give it 1/4 throttle and it spins. Its really nice. But still my automotion on the td04 was still 22psi. Oh well it pulls way smoother but up in higher rpm's in deff drops down to 15 psi?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
JK
Elder

TD04 15t or t25 on the car?

Seems to me like the automotion ECU was running too much, 22psi or so seems more realistic for stage 4.

Could be that your BPC is fried and stuck open and your wategate blows open at 22psi no matter what. That's the case for my 9-3, the T25 wastegate actuator really can't hold more than 20psi even if the vac line running to it is taken off
Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Trollerator
Elder

you may want to check to see what hardware you are supposed to run on the nordic tune. Sometimes stage 4 requires things like a turbo inlet upgrade or larger, more effiecient IC. In which case, you'd probably be losing boost without one as the ECU cuts back once it sees the intake air is WAY hotter than it was programmed for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
I always love when people quantify boost as a single peak number.. It needs to be boost at various rpms 22psi peak for a split second at 2500rpm on the t25 is not anywhere near the same 22psi at 5k rpm with the tdo4

Is that ecu setup for a 3bar map sensor? We did a few of those.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 05-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #8

No not setup for 3bar. And yes it is a td04 turbo. Also I have a Viggen Intercooler and 3inch exhaust. GS Open Air Intake. And a HKS SSQV Bov. So Am I missing anything?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
JZW
Elder

In reality, going over 22psi is not going to do much good, the extra hw and whatever timing and fuel that is programmed into the ecu should make it a good bit faster. It should hold more boost longer and timing and the end result should be more power.

Once you get up to the 18t or something, then 23-25psi might be more in order and spikes to 27-28psi are not unheard of. With some of the automotion style tuning, a spike to 25psi and then holding 22psi might be just about right, but from what I have seen, the nordic tunes seem to build boost more gradual and avoid those spikes.

Some people love the torque/boost spikes, some people do not, its all in personal preference.

The best way to really know what its doing is to do some acceleration runs and or put it on a dyno and see how it compares to other stg 4 tunes out there.

John
Old 05-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998TurboSaab View Post
No not setup for 3bar. And yes it is a td04 turbo. Also I have a Viggen Intercooler and 3inch exhaust. GS Open Air Intake. And a HKS SSQV Bov. So Am I missing anything?
Yes you are missing something and it's called the IC as most stage 4 IC's call for something bigger then a viggen one. But, this will not get you any more PSI, just better sustainable fun.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #11

Haha alright then guys. I will have to be ordering a bigger intercooler soon then and possibly a IC sprayer kit or make my own. Is it safe to spray water onto the intercooler meaning from the outside?
Old 05-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Haha alright then guys. I will have to be ordering a bigger intercooler soon then and possibly a IC sprayer kit or make my own. Is it safe to spray water onto the intercooler meaning from the outside?
Sure is as I use a modified aquamist system that has 3 jets.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Gobes
Do you have an upgraded Downpipe?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
Quote:
are you serious?

have you ever driven in the rain? any ill effects?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #15
Elder

I get ill effects, every time my intercooler gets wet, I seem to lose at least 20whp*

|
|
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
are you serious?

have you ever driven in the rain? any ill effects?
Haha Yeah no traction lol. But yeah it seems to run alot cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes View Post
Do you have an upgraded Downpipe?
Yes Sir!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
I get ill effects, every time my intercooler gets wet, I seem to lose at least 20whp*
Seriously?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Yes you are missing something and it's called the IC as most stage 4 IC's call for something bigger then a viggen one. But, this will not get you any more PSI, just better sustainable fun.
that plus you don't want to learn the hard way what increasing the boost, plus a rock on plastic endtanks will do ya.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #19

Alright well dont worry I have got me a IC on order.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #20
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Gobes
What IC did you order?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in