School Me on Suspension - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Straitup D
School Me on Suspension

back to school, so i need struts, and well i am at it i am thinking of getting some springs as well. i was thinking of getting this http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product...oducts_id=1254 is any one running this kit? segestions on other kits, or strut / spring combs that i should look at? and last if ppl could post pics of the change in ride hight.

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/StraitupD/untitled.jpg
Quote:
I'm really looking forward to your apology, because I love telling people to "get fucked"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
JK
Elder

I think there are plenty of reviews on the Koni shocks/struts on here. In fact probably at least one such thread with the same title as this one.

I would suggest either ordering from Taliaferro or Shox.com, probably don't want to order them from England (partsforsaabs.com) and pay to have them shipped over to the US when you can get them from a US based company.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Elder

I've posted my review a million times and you can search for it, but gist is the Koni kits is A+.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

ya, go to gs and get that kit. I was gonna get a kit from pfs, but the shipping for just the springs were $175 and I wasn't going to spend that much just on shipping. And it would take like 2 weeks to ship from there.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Do you NEED adjustable shocks, or are you going to turn them up to full-stiff, and ride on that.
because.. if you are, get bilstein Sports.
If you're likely going to leave them on the softer setting.. get bilstein HD's.

as for springs; I've never ran the vogtlands.
intrax are junk, eibach is "the best", and te B&G seem to do VERY well.
They were a LITTLE soft in my 9-3, but the kit on the wagon are PERFECT.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Elder

How much stiffer are the Bilstein Sports compared to Koni's at full firm?

|
|
Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
They aren't. Bilstein Sports have about the same rebound rate as Konis on full hard. But you are stuck with the horrible ride for daily use. The beauty of the Koni Sport is I can set it on soft for horrible VT roads everyday, and then go to full firm for weekend autocrosses and trackdays.

While I think the Koni dampers are well matched to the vogtland springs, I really wish there wer more spring options out there. I'd like a higher rate than the Vogtlands, especially in the rear. Plus my rear vogtland springs have settled to the point where there is very little travel before reaching the bumpstop. I'd like a tad more drop too....I think the Koni/Vogtland is 1.3", 1.5"-1.75" would be nice.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
JK
Elder

There are more spring options, you just have to go the route of purchasing a coil tube setup to and pick the desired spring rate to go with it. This is what that kit that Taliaferro put together does. They cut out the need for you to figure out the spring rates and source the parts, but if you're willing to do the research yourself those parts are not terribly hard to come by - not terribly expensive either
Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
Do you NEED adjustable shocks, or are you going to turn them up to full-stiff, and ride on that.

Or just buy the Koni's so you don't have to make a dedicated choice.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Read this page:
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

You'll see why chosing a set shock is "better".

Koni is "good", but they are not up to par with the rest, out there.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:

i think that it will be nice to have the option to adjust the dampers, for if/when i track the car, and keep it softer for DD

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to your apology, because I love telling people to "get fucked"
Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
Elder

meh...
you asked for advice... I gave it.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #13

Quote:
meh...
you asked for advice... I gave it.
and i am taking that in to conciteration, thanks big time

Quote:
Old 05-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
B&g.... Word
Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Read this page:
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

You'll see why chosing a set shock is "better".

Koni is "good", but they are not up to par with the rest, out there.
nice info... helping me to really think about what i get for my car...
Old 05-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #16
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

If you want a autocross shock get the bilsteins, they are superior for that

if you want something that is better for the street & also roadcoarse duty get the koni's

I went the koni route on my viggen ....

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
Elder

Considering Penske, Ohlins, and Dynamic don't have stuff for Saabs, and Sachs doesn't make anything other than OEM type stuff, you have two choices: Koni and Bilstein. Both have advantages and disadvantages. For me the small hit in performance I might take with the Konis at the autocross (which would be dumb to blame...I'm not THAT good a driver that it all comes down to minute suspension force differences) is worth the fact that I can drive my car around all week on shitty roads, half of which are unpaved. I like Bilsteins a lot, I have a set of HD's on my 9-5 Aero. Quality and durability is top notch, but the Konis seem to be very well made and the adjustability is key for my use.

Good link you posted though....very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
There are more spring options, you just have to go the route of purchasing a coil tube setup to and pick the desired spring rate to go with it. This is what that kit that Taliaferro put together does. They cut out the need for you to figure out the spring rates and source the parts, but if you're willing to do the research yourself those parts are not terribly hard to come by - not terribly expensive either
Yeah, I realize this, I've been tempted to go coilover for about a year now. Where I would really like to work on tuning is the rear though, not the front (although a slightly higher rate and corner weighting in the front would be killer). Damn beam axle!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #18
Elder

bilsteins are superior all-around.
not just for auto-x.

and, just as an FYI, the eibach pro dampers ARE sachs racing shocks/struts.
( I have them on the wagon)

Last edited by g96nt; 05-21-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
bilsteins are superior all-around.
not just for auto-x.
Drive a lowered car equipped with lowering springs and Bilstein Sports and then the same car with the same springs and Koni Yellows set to a softer setting on a washboarded dirt road and you will see that isn't necessarily true. BSports have too much rebound stiffness for high-speed/high-rate action like that....the car will be squirrely. Whereas the Konis will feel almost stock and much more compliant in a rapid-cycling situation where you can lower the rebound forces to lessen the car's overall spring rate.

Bottom line is: You will be pretty happy with both at an autocross, if you drive on shitty roads, you will be happier with the Konis.

Quote:
and, just as an FYI, the eibach pro dampers ARE sachs racing shocks/struts.
( I have them on the wagon)
This is good to know...I don't know much about the Eibach kits, other than the fact they are relatively limited in fitments.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #20

well price is also a factor for me, how much is the bilsteins HD's compaired to the Koni's

and what springs to go with the bilsteins

i am in MN, some of the roads are new and nice, some of the others are not to good, lots of potholes. as far as dirt roads, this car will only see them a hand full of times a year

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in