Diesel Engine Mount Installation. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Diesel Engine Mount Installation.

I read a few time that this is a PITA. I can say that it's not. I bought a mount and so did my friend Jeff. All his other mounts are stock. We got his done in 15min. I have poly transmission and engine mounts, wiggle room was less due to less engine mount travel. But, it's doable with a pry-bar to compress the diesel mount when squeezing it in. This took about 20min. Both done in under an hour.

Here is what we did:
1. Jack-up the car and place it on stands.
2. Use several long extensions and a universal to get the top nut off the mount. 16mm IIRC
3. IIRC 18mm socket on the 2 nuts on the bottom of the mount.
4. Position the jack on the transmission case and jack the engine up a bit. There is more travel hear then you think. Be sure not to go to the point of lifting the car.
5. Wiggle the old mount out by bringing it forward over the subfame and out right next to the cat.

As for impressions all I can speak for is my cars feeling. With the poly mounts and the diesel engine mount the engine is next to impossible to move. It's in there solid. You feel less of a yo-yo effect when on/off throttle. Shifting is more precise. (BTW I can't wait for the GS short shifter that will make my day.) Cabin vibration oddly enough seems decreased. I have yet to test it w/ the AC on to see how much of a difference that makes. I am very happy with it thus far. The car is becoming more and more of a pleasure to drive and less and less of a floppy overpowered FWD torque machine.

Last edited by liketheword; 05-15-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
If you take the bracket off the transmission on the 9-3 style gearboxes it is a 15m job. The older NG900 style maybe a bit longer since its a tad harder to the get bracket off. The bolt the bracket back on before lowering so its easier to align the bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Elder

I thought about taking the bracket off the car to aid in the install. Glad to know that is easy to get off as well. It was still much quicker than I had anticipated based on some comments I had read about the install. I am very happy wit the results! Thanks again Nick and GS!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
JK
Elder

So, what you're saying is that the complainers are n00berts?

Good to hear you got it in and had no issues. Did it stiffen things up at all>
Old 05-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
So, what you're saying is that the complainers are n00berts?
Maybe those who do not have much wrenching xp are the only ones to post input. Those with more experience don't seem to post about little things like this at all. That's my best guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Good to hear you got it in and had no issues. Did it stiffen things up at all>
Yep. See my last paragraph on my initial post for impressions.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Straitup D
the first one was done before my first beer

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/StraitupD/untitled.jpg
Quote:
I'm really looking forward to your apology, because I love telling people to "get fucked"
Old 05-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
JZW
Elder

I agree, the job was easy and I too thought the vibration was not increased, maybe decreased a hair, but not increased and the engine is definetely more solid.

John
Old 05-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Are the 2 engine mounts and transmission mount exactly the same on a Vig and regular 93? Which diesel engine mount do i get? My gear lever moves forward and back quite alot when accelerating and when i release the accelerator. Am assuming 1 or all of the mounts are on their way out?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAMUNCH View Post
Are the 2 engine mounts and transmission mount exactly the same on a Vig and regular 93? Which diesel engine mount do i get? My gear lever moves forward and back quite alot when accelerating and when i release the accelerator. Am assuming 1 or all of the mounts are on their way out?
There is one engine mount on the passenger side of the car. It connects to the same bracket as the AC condenser. The GS performance replacement is polyurethane.

The rear engine mount is on the driver side almost directly down from the master cylinder there is a bracket that connects the backside of the engine to the subframe below. This mount is best viewed from the ground looking-up on the drivers side of the car. It is near the cat on a T5 car. That should be more then enough to help you locate it. The GS performance replacement is diesel.

There is a transmission mount on the drive side of the car. It connects the tail of the transmission housing to the unibody frame. The GS performance replacement is polyurethane.

As for shifter movement, I have all 3 of these and the movement has decreased significantly. Most notably with the diesel mount. This has proven true on a Saab w/o the polyurethane mounts as well. The diesel replacement on both non-polyurethane and polyurethane cars seems to have cut vibration. Especially at low speed.

Even w/ all the polyurethane and diesel mounts, shifting it self is still classically Saab vague. Nick is coming out with a shifter replacement assembly shortly that seems like it will resolve the last of the shifting foibles. Thread Here: https://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...390#post626390

Last edited by liketheword; 05-18-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheword View Post
There is one engine mount on the passenger side of the car. It connects to the same bracket as the AC condenser. The GS performance replacement is polyurethane.

The rear engine mount is on the driver side almost directly down from the master cylinder there is a bracket that connects the backside of the engine to the subframe below. This mount is best viewed from the ground looking-up on the drivers side of the car. It is near the cat on a T5 car. That should be more then enough to help you locate it. The GS performance replacement is diesel.

There is a transmission mount on the drive side of the car. It connects the tail of the transmission housing to the unibody frame. The GS performance replacement is polyurethane.

As for shifter movement, I have all 3 of these and the movement has decreased significantly. Most notably with the diesel mount. This has proven true on a Saab w/o the polyurethane mounts as well. The diesel replacement on both non-polyurethane and polyurethane cars seems to have cut vibration. Especially at low speed.

Even w/ all the polyurethane and diesel mounts, shifting it self is still classically Saab vague. Nick is coming out with a shifter replacement assembly shortly that seems like it will resolve the last of the shifting foibles. Thread Here: https://www.saablink.net/forum/showth...390#post626390
Thanx for clearing that all up for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in