Auto X classifications - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Auto X classifications

Im getting ready to joing an intercollegiate and I can't really figure out what SCCA racing class my car would be in. How do I figure that out?
Thanks,
Ben
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
JK
Elder

What modifications have you done?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Like stated above, it's all based on what you have done to your car and what you can get away with. I hate to say it, but lots of people cheat like hell. If a person has different pistons, cams etc, it's pretty much impossible for the ref to figure that out unless you have lopy as hell cams. Same goes with an ecu, and with a Saab you can get away with a lot as it's hard for them to stand out. The problem is that people like to brag about this and that and this and that so if you are that person, then with your stage 4 and everything else your car has, you could be competing with cars and drivers that will eat you alive. If you don’t want to cheat, then check the rules out and it all adds up. And I’m not condoning cheating.
But it’s fun and can be addicting if you can get use to “hurrying up and waiting”.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

• Khumo Ecsta ASX tires
  • 6 point brace, 1" rear ARB, steering rack brace, Koni springs, poly mounts
  • JZW stg 4 tune: ~300ft/lbs + t5 cams
  • All neccessary HW for the stg 4 (exhaust, intake, intercooler, 3.5 FPR, ect)

does that help or do you need more specifics?

By the time I enter the league I may also have an 18t conversion done on my td04 so would that change my class?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

it only changes it if they know... coming from the subaru forums before there were guys that would install aftermarket suspension bits and powder coat them to "cheat" the class... with the braces its harder to do that but with struts and what not its easier
Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

the thing is its not a very big club, its probably only 6 schools with 4-5 drivers each, so I dont know how much I want to cheat... I mean I dont want to always get destroyed but at the same time I dont want it to be no contest for my competitors either.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

heres a link to some information that scca uses for classification
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/index.shtml
Old 05-15-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
STX, i wouldnt mention the different turbo
Old 05-15-2009, 04:50 AM   #9
SAABeginner

Most likely you'd be able to get away with the steering rack/clamp, Ecu tune; some of the hardware , and the bigger turbo if you have it, also the 6 point if you painted it black.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 AM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
just by having a brace they put you into STX, can't remember if changing the turbo would put you in a higher class. I wouldn't say anything since the td-04 isn't much bigger and is found on a lot of stock cars. If anything the more power in a saab is probably worse on a tight track.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Actually, since the TD04 was an option on the SE and Viggen, it shouldn't count against you, going 18T will count but it probably doesn't matter. The braces, the ARB, Springs, DP, IC, cat, tune, and intake all count and I'd say you are definitely STX. I have almost the exact same setup but with major brake upgrades too (T25 and stg III, tdo4 is on my bench awaiting rebuild and the software is just a t5suite reflash away) and I'm STX.

Most of your competitors are going to be in mod'd WRX's, Evos, Minis, and Honda Si's and are going to spank you...Saabs aren't great for autocrossing, simple as that. You can have a lot of fun, and learn a lot...but don't expect to dominate your class unless you have a pretty shallow talent pool in STX.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 8valvegrowl; 05-15-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
lms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-3sleeper View Post
the thing is its not a very big club, its probably only 6 schools with 4-5 drivers each, so I dont know how much I want to cheat... I mean I dont want to always get destroyed but at the same time I dont want it to be no contest for my competitors either.
Believe me; unless you think you are some super driver, the others will have no problem keeping up. My brother auto-x an old CRX, then moved to a miata and those things screamed around the tracks with basically no mods at all. He ate the competition in his old crx, and then moved up and up and up in class before switching (he came from racing go-karts). But letís say you do cheat, and there are not many cars in your class and you whip their asses, then next time move up in class by being honest.
An 18T is only going to hurt when it comes to Auto-x due to the lag and the power coming on a tad later, so if you are serious, stick with the 15.
Check the rules in the street class and make a check list, then check street touring and check off items again and so on and so forth. Then you will know what class you are in and maybe what you can get away with. Actually it's pretty amazing what they allow you to do in the lower classes and this is where people try and take full advantage. You must think the way a ref thinks. Do they know about Saabs, if not then who knows what you could get away with? Sign up for the lowest class you think you can get away with, and when they tech your car, they will either pass it or ask you questions on this and that. I auto-x an old Porsche and itís impossible to get away with anything as they have seen it all with those cars. The only mods I get away with are internal, but Iíll never tell.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
An 18T is only going to hurt when it comes to Auto-x due to the lag and the power coming on a tad later, so if you are serious, stick with the 15.
This is also true. I like the fast spool of the T25 for AutoX. I'm going to stick in a 15T 5cm^2, but I debated long and hard about it. At least with the 15T I can fight off the non-uber mod'd Miatas on the track/time-attacks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
JK
Elder

The 3" downpipe is a killer for the classes.

Only way around that I can see is if a person used a T7 downpipe and kept that pre-cat that is right off of the turbo then used 3" from there to the tailpipe. Probably not as great as a real 3" downpipe...but probably better than stock stuff!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

yeah I figured the 18t would make it a little more difficult, but I dont really want to get too serious with it, racikng my car on a daily basis is only going to make it fall apart faster. Its more just something I want to try a few times. I had a feeling Id be in the classes with Stis and evos and all that god stuff, which means Ill get my ass kicked.

I have a race (not SCCA sanctioned ) with my buddy in his Srt-4 later today... Im afraid he'll beat me even though it essentially stock. I looked it up and the most he can have is 250 ft/lbs which means I have him by about 50... but he's a manual and Im an auto so we'll see
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
man i just went to car meet tonight. my buddy is getting a SR20 in his 240sx and they say there the shit and fast. and i met a guy with a 240 with a SR20 and he has turboback with FMIC and he gave me a ride. and he said his timing was off, i dont know what he met. and man his car was ALRIGHT. it barley pulled and im thinking is that it? anyway i have a catback, CAI, AND JSP 3 Tune and my car pull MUCH Harder than he did. so i might have a chance. to keep up or maybe even win. i love my saab i cant wait to get suspension and the DP. and start pushing some nice power
Old 05-16-2009, 06:03 AM   #17
lms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViggenStory View Post
man i just went to car meet tonight. my buddy is getting a SR20 in his 240sx and they say there the shit and fast. and i met a guy with a 240 with a SR20 and he has turboback with FMIC and he gave me a ride. and he said his timing was off, i dont know what he met. and man his car was ALRIGHT. it barley pulled and im thinking is that it? anyway i have a catback, CAI, AND JSP 3 Tune and my car pull MUCH Harder than he did. so i might have a chance. to keep up or maybe even win. i love my saab i cant wait to get suspension and the DP. and start pushing some nice power
What does this have to do with auto x?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-3sleeper View Post
I have a race (not SCCA sanctioned ) with my buddy in his Srt-4 later today... Im afraid he'll beat me even though it essentially stock. I looked it up and the most he can have is 250 ft/lbs which means I have him by about 50... but he's a manual and Im an auto so we'll see
he will most likely beat you. SRT-4s handle better than most saabs. a lot of my friends at school have them and they always end up a the top of the list. second only to Minis, Miatas, and well driven Evos and STis. I am usually about midway down the list. granted, most of the faster cars have full suspension... i dont.

in the end it mostly depends on driver skill, though.

regardless, just go and have fun. its nice to be able to push your car around a bit in a controlled environtment.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
he will most likely beat you. SRT-4s handle better than most saabs. a lot of my friends at school have them and they always end up a the top of the list. second only to Minis, Miatas, and well driven Evos and STis. I am usually about midway down the list. granted, most of the faster cars have full suspension... i dont.

in the end it mostly depends on driver skill, though.

regardless, just go and have fun. its nice to be able to push your car around a bit in a controlled environtment.
yeah, but the race we're planning is a drag. It got rained out yesterday though so its probably going to happen later today.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
oh, well that's a little different. seeing as this is an autocross thread i assumed you were talking about autocross.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in