gutting cat/catless - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to spanky
gutting cat/catless

Ok so the past couple days i have been wanting to remove the cat from my car. I first thought about just cutting it out and put in a straight pipe, but lately i just want to gut it with the 10lb sledge method. i have a few questions though. i know i whould get a cel so use a spark plug anti fouler? does anyone have any sound clips? i fould some when i searched but looking for more. and if your car is catless, do you like it?
-Derek

92 dodge w250 cummins.....SOLD

97 900SE blk/blk, 5speed, TD04, upgraded fmic-----Back in the game

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
Just keep it, it doesn't hurt performance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #3

i just feel like my car it really quiet lately and i think it would be nice to hear the turbo through the exhaust.

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0

Old 05-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
take the catback off and run just the dp it will be loud

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 05-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Elder

Dont take my word 100% but I think I read somewhere that in t5 you can turn off the second o2 sensor behind that cat therefore not triggering the check engine light.

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 05-14-2009, 05:18 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Svenska94Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by 132417SAAB View Post
Dont take my word 100% but I think I read somewhere that in t5 you can turn off the second o2 sensor behind that cat therefore not triggering the check engine light.
Really??? can anyone verify this???
Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
Elder

it can be done.

and to pass emissions you would have to do that as your car is OBDII and can't have a CEL.

I need it done to my car...
Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWSAABVT View Post
take the catback off and run just the dp it will be loud
yeah...

still have ringing in my ears from an hour and a half or so of 70mph+

i really wanted to make a sound clip but my laptop died about 2 weeks prior.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
Elder

1) running no cat does help performance (especially if you have an older cat that has become partially plugged over the years)

2) you can disable the second o2 sensor in t5suite (i am the one who got that feature added). but you still have to have that o2 sensor in place, or you'll throw a CEL

3) remember, removing the cat is illegal as hell, and if you are caught (although i've never actually heard of it happening, but it is still possible) there are pretty hefty fines involved ($1000+)

summit racing has catco 3" cats for $60, magnaflow race cats for $80. this is probably a better/more legal option (this coming from a guy with a catless 3" turbo back )
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
remember, removing the cat is illegal as hell, and if you are caught (although i've never actually heard of it happening, but it is still possible) there are pretty hefty fines involved ($1000+)

summit racing has catco 3" cats for $60, magnaflow race cats for $80. this is probably a better/more legal option (this coming from a guy with a catless 3" turbo back )
x2
the benefits of running catless DO NOT outweigh the risks...
especially in a state like Mass

Even doing the T5 Suite o2 delete is illegal too (much harder if not impossible to catch though)
as far as i know they all fall under tampering with/removing emissions control devices which has hefty federal fines if i am not mistaken.

go with a cheap catco or something you will get the same performance boost with one of those as going straight pipe (this would be coming from a clogged older cat) otherwise the difference is negligible unless you are running massive power...
Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
Elder

here is the site to check up on it. Mass is going nuts with the clean air stuff...

http://massvehiclecheck.state.ma.us/
Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #12

interesting i didnt know that the fines were that much. well at 830 this morning my eastwing hammer, a snowmobile carbide, and myself gutted out my cat. car seems no louder than before, and the weird thing is i havent thrown a cel yet.

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Old 05-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
, and the weird thing is i havent thrown a cel yet.
The full battery of OBDII tests and monitors is run over a wide range of conditions. It will take some "normal" driving followed by some steady state cruising for the CEL to come on but it will come on. (At least mine did.)

I never could get rid of the CEL even with non-foulers. Every car is different though.

I ended up with an o2 sim. I used this one...

http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php...&products_id=9

It has worked like a charm for nearly two years. Never a CEL again.

David
Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Damn, my XJ has 3 cats on an inline 6. My Girlfriends 97 XJ has a see-through cat and no CEL after 3 years. I wouldn't remove the cat. They send you to a federally F u in the A prison for that, and/or fine you. But if it "hollowed" itself out, well thats just natural. . . . .
Old 05-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksy View Post
Damn, my XJ has 3 cats on an inline 6. My Girlfriends 97 XJ has a see-through cat and no CEL after 3 years. I wouldn't remove the cat. They send you to a federally F u in the A prison for that, and/or fine you. But if it "hollowed" itself out, well thats just natural. . . . .
Yeah, my 91 Jaguar XJ-S V-12 Coupe had 3 cats per bank for a total of six. Then additionally it had one primary and one secondary muffler per bank for a V-12 muting total of 5 flow inhibiting devices per bank. (10 total on the car!)

I removed the entire exhaust system and replaced it with the Stainless Extractor system from AJ6 Engineerin in the UK. GREAT system! SS from cylinder head to tail pipe, and only 2 muffler cans that were straight through. All six cats and the primary mufflers were eliminated in the process. BEAUTIFUL sound...ahhhhh...I miss that car.

David
Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksy View Post
And 4 o2 sensors

Didn't someone post dyno runs at some point with a catted DP vs. a non catted DP? I think it may have been on MP's website.

I think the outcome was more torque and HP on the catted version.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #17
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
MN has no testing. I got a sawzall for xmas, and it's maiden voyage was to cut the cat out of my JT 3".

No performance difference at all, but it sounds GREAT. It has a nice ripping effect on the tone.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #18
SAABeginner

Did removing cat and turning off 2nd lambda make any influence on fuel economy?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #19

havent measured the fuel economy yet. turbo spools earier or sounds like it does now. if anything i would say the car runs a touch smoother with out it. and no cel yet.

03 f250 CCSB Lariat 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in