A 'Loooooooow' NG900? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
TSLMember

A 'Loooooooow' NG900?

I've asked the question on a UK forum and the general opinion is 'Not beyond 35mm' Whhhhhhhyyyyy?!!!

Now, knowing most of you guys are from the country of 'extremes' Who has the lowest NG? How did you get it that low and what problems did you encounter.. short term and long term.

You can't all be 35yrs+ and like sensible heights of 35mm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I can't say anything as I'm still "skyjacked" but I believe the whole 35mm thing is because most of all the spring packages drop the cars 35mm. I believe the only way you could possibly go any lower is with a coil over kit like Nick carries at GS but that only covers the front.

If there is a reason to not going lower besides front bumper scraping issues it could just be a wheel well clearance issue and people wanting to avoid rubbing. The wells just don't seem that deep at all.

"skyjacked"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Elder

if you were to remove the inner fender wells up front, that would give you more room to lower stuff without rubbing.

but i know of only 1 person who has gone past the standard koni kit. i'm sure nick from GS will be able to chime in.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I think maybe in the rear if you go to low you hit your Exhaust?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Trollerator
Elder

if you have viggen bumpers you'll scrape on everything. lowered, forget it. 35 mm was more than enough

I scraped my front SE lip on everything lowered! then with the viggen stuff... LOLZ

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny View Post
You can't all be 35yrs+ and like sensible heights of 35mm
I'm young and my Viggen on koni's will rub the 6-point brace if you hit a bump in the road just right.

Why would a person want to go any lower than that?

It's less about being sensible than it is about being not-retarded.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Elder

i used the voigtland springs and as anyone who has seen my car can testify it is nutty low. as in only 2 to 3 inches of clearance for the front lip. Really any lower and you won't be able to use your car

check my car domain link. it will show you.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to jdinneen
I have "kilen red" springs which I think were a 22mm drop and even at that I scrape on everything all the time. I also bought a viggen bumper and then looking at the car realized the bumper might drag on the ground while driving and ended up selling it. I do wish the front could go a little lower, just for looks, but it would be REALLY impractical. I have to go diagonally over speed bumps as it is...
Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Elder

you have 22mm... mine is 35mm but when the tech put it in it really drops it like 45-50mm
Old 05-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I have a properly settled set of Vogtlands on my car as well, the exhaust scrapes when I go over speed bumps, the front bumper (viggen) scrapes on everything, and with the viggen side skirts it takes an act of Congress to lift the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
Trollerator
Elder

yeah on my koni/vogtlands they used to have to jack up the front of the car with a super lo-pro floor jack, to be able to get the arms for the lift under my sideskirts. they didn't like my car at the shop so much

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
I have a properly settled set of Vogtlands on my car as well, the exhaust scrapes when I go over speed bumps, the front bumper (viggen) scrapes on everything, and with the viggen side skirts it takes an act of Congress to lift the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
yeah on my koni/vogtlands they used to have to jack up the front of the car with a super lo-pro floor jack, to be able to get the arms for the lift under my sideskirts. they didn't like my car at the shop so much
I still have my mid body mud flaps and they scrape on any bump. pretty funny when on the road peope thing something fell off my car.

also the stock jack... worthless... i need to get a new one to put in the back. pretty funny though watching the shop lift the car and seeing how much negative travel the wheels have.... lol
Old 05-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
Viggenkids viggen is very low he has B&G springs with koni shocks. with 225 tires. he convice me and thats what im gonnna go with. the springs drop 1.4 inches.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #14
Trollerator
Elder

Koni shocks/ with Koni springs (made by vogtland)

Low enough for ya???

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to jdinneen
huh, I know our springs have different drop specs but that doesn't look different than mine (aside from the uber pointy ng bumpers of course):

rear

front

if i put -anything- in the trunk i tuck tire. there's also less wheel gap when i run tires with a square shoulder instead of round, like KDWs.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

jdinneen > whats you set up
Old 05-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to lowbudgethero
i'm surprised no one has mentioned how going too low affects suspension geometry negatively
Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
Elder

^ I can attest to this. When I got my Koni's and Vogtland springs installed on my ng900, the front strut setup was installed incorrectly so the front was much lower than it was supposed to be. I was bottoming out like crazy, bouncing around and it threw off the suspension geometry to the point where it had to have major work done on it to fixed. But my point is this is what happens when you go too low.

|
|
Old 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
^pansy.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #20
Elder

^5 door

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in