Race Gas? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to d_hughes__09
Race Gas?

Hey guys just a quick question. I'm taking the Viggen to the drag strip at BIR tomorrow for their wednesday night street drags/open track night. There are like 3 gas stations right outside the track and they all carry high octane race gas. Would it be any gain to run a mix of race gas and 91 octane (highest pump gas you can get here)? Or would it just be a waste?
'92 N/A C900S - Stage winter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Elder

As long as it is lead free, then it is fine. I would recommend mixing 91 and race gas though, I ran 93 octane and about a gallon of race gas and it gave me another 15whp on the dyno in my stage 5 automatic ng900.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
JK
Elder

Less chance of knock which would lead pulled timing and/or boost, so yeah, it cant hurt that's for sure.

And last few times I've been to BIR the prices for the higher ocatane gas were not bad, juat don't get leaded

Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

I may make it up, haven't decided yet. BIR is fun, and when it isn't busy, you can get a lot of runs in, but the track prep is nonexistent....
The only good time to go if you're going for times is after an NHRA or other sanctioned event where the prep it heavily and you get what's left over, otherwise it's like launching on ice.

If you have traction issues, you should pick up spring blocks for the rear springs. (If I go, I'll have some.) They make a world of difference and take no more than a couple minutes to do.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Less chance of knock which would lead pulled timing and/or boost, so yeah, it cant hurt that's for sure.

And last few times I've been to BIR the prices for the higher ocatane gas were not bad, juat don't get leaded
Yeah I know the sunoco only has leaded I beleive. But I believe the other stations have unleaded.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by '96Saab9kAero View Post
I may make it up, haven't decided yet. BIR is fun, and when it isn't busy, you can get a lot of runs in, but the track prep is nonexistent....
The only good time to go if you're going for times is after an NHRA or other sanctioned event where the prep it heavily and you get what's left over, otherwise it's like launching on ice.

If you have traction issues, you should pick up spring blocks for the rear springs. (If I go, I'll have some.) They make a world of difference and take no more than a couple minutes to do.
Well if you do come let me know, or come say hi. I'll have the Viggen and you can't miss it haha. I do have some traction issues for sure but they have gotten better with my sticky tires.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I've ran a few tanks of 110 octane through my Viggen with no issues. I used to try and always run 100 octane out in Colorado (there a gas station in the DTC that you can buy it) and I never had any problems.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_hughes__09 View Post
Well if you do come let me know, or come say hi. I'll have the Viggen and you can't miss it haha. I do have some traction issues for sure but they have gotten better with my sticky tires.
I'll most likely be in a Bonneville SSEi. I'll be with a silver GTP and maybe a Cobalt SS and s/c Tiburon.
I'm having trouble finding a Snell 2000 Helmet as of now, all I have are Snell DOT's.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by '96Saab9kAero View Post
I'll most likely be in a Bonneville SSEi. I'll be with a silver GTP and maybe a Cobalt SS and s/c Tiburon.
I'm having trouble finding a Snell 2000 Helmet as of now, all I have are Snell DOT's.
Last year they didn't check at all. I grabbed a couple different snowmobile/atv helmets and they said they would all work. The tech inspection was a joke the time I went. They popped the hood, made sure the battery was secured, and looked for any loose junk in the car. They failed to notice my dumbass friend only had 4 lug nuts on each wheel on his SC400
Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

So much for race gas. Stopped at the two stations there that carry it and all they had was 111 octane leaded gas. 4 grams/gallon of lead. I'm guessing this stuff would seriously mess up my car.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #11

Have you considered using toluene as an octane booster ? Toluene is 114 octane, so use your total tank volume - let's say it's 15 gallons. If you use 2 gallons of toluene @ 114 octane, and 13 gallons of 91 octane, that would be
(2x114) + (13x91) / 15 ... or 94 Octane. Four gallons of toluene and 11 gallons of 91 would give you 97 octane. I've been running a 93 octane / toluene mix in my Aero at 96 octane - the car runs great, the plugs are looking good, and engine temps are normal........
Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Have you considered using toluene as an octane booster ? Toluene is 114 octane, so use your total tank volume - let's say it's 15 gallons. If you use 2 gallons of toluene @ 114 octane, and 13 gallons of 91 octane, that would be
(2x114) + (13x91) / 15 ... or 94 Octane. Four gallons of toluene and 11 gallons of 91 would give you 97 octane. I've been running a 93 octane / toluene mix in my Aero at 96 octane - the car runs great, the plugs are looking good, and engine temps are normal........
You Sir, are a MAD scientist.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
Elder

actually i think he is a chemist for real lol

i may be wrong tho.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #14

Something like that - I grow genetically altered cells for a living - I like to think of it as "weird science" ........
Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

Hmm, where can you get toluene? The name rings a bell but I can't for the life of me put it to what its used for.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
Elder

Paint store. It's used as a solvent in some coatings.

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Makeyousaab
Yup paint stores sell it as a solvent. Commercial grade is the way to go as laboratory grade is much more expensive for little, if any, increased benefit. Toluene is just a benzene ring with a methyl group attached to it. It does carry with it some degree of carcinogenicity. You can use Xylene as well, but it is attributed to causing cold start problems in some cars depending on the mixture. In any case it will clean some of that carbon out of the motor

1999 9-3 Vert. STG = pretty fast
Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

Ok, so I just go to the paint store and throw some of it in with gas? And that's it and I'm good to go? I'll be heading to the strip in about half an hour so if I could just stop and mix some in with gas it would be easy.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
Elder

Yes, you can just add it to your tank. Best if you make a home brew if you are going to be running it regularly.

100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

1993 900T Comm Ed #3
1993 900T Comm Ed #249
1994 900T Comm Ed #363
Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

blahh, just got back from the track, dissapointed in myself more than anything. Go check the thread in events section if you wanna see the story, basically low 16s at 90mph. Ugh I need some work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in