Another Holset thread - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Another Holset thread

So when Vigge made a thread back in 08' about his new snail, I got sucked into the movement and have been following it since then. Just figured it was time to make my own thread with all of the info on my own setup rather than stuff it all into Vigge's. More so it can be documented for others who are looking to put a Holset on a stock internal, 2.0 NG900.

I'm 19, building up student loans and working through college, and really testing my credit to get this project finish. Save the criticism for later, please.
At this point, I'm still in the process of getting all the parts - almost finished - but when I get home in a month from school is when the work begins. I'll update this as it goes, and try to get pictures of whatever necessary.

My current setup is the everday stage 3 which includes a 3" JT, huge ebay intercooler, Jak Stoll tune, and Spec stage 3 clutch. I'm almost moving from a completely stock NG900 up to this new level so that first test drive is gonna be a really, interesting one. I'm gonna keep my hopes 'low' at about 400whp, but hopefully I'll reach at least that. W/M injection will help with my lower torque numbers (vs 2.3L setups) probably soon after this is all taken care of.

So here's my Holset HX35 the day I bought it.

The plan was to clean it up a bit, weld the internal wastegate flapper shut to use an external, and have it mounted to the beautiful piece that came from "Reindeer Performance" in Finland, thanks to Vigge:

Other changes will be of course a Walbro 255, injectors - to either Siemens deka 630cc's or the new 1000cc's from the same series that just came out - , and a JZW tune. Another thing is modifying the exhaust to work. The HX35 comes with a v-band outlet but my dad wanted to try something else so in the end it'll connect like this:

No issues with sealing, no clearance issues, just simple and clean. It's 3" and I still have a 3" 90 degree stainless pipe for the other flange to be welded onto. As you can also see, my dad cleaned up the compressor housing a bit when he had a minute so that's a nice cosmetic fix.

That's all for now, unfortunately. My car and I head home on May 9th so hopefully soon after, my dad and I get to work on this. Any feedback or suggestions appreciated, hope I can start updating this with progress in as little as a month.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
TSLMember

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
that's a beautiful manifold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
SAAB Road Master

awesome! i'll be following your thread...you, vigge, and JZW are cutting edge right now...i love it when i see boundaries being pushed.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to ViggenStory
wow who did your manifold?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaaabi View Post
awesome! i'll be following your thread...you, vigge, and JZW are cutting edge right now...i love it when i see boundaries being pushed.
:sneeze:
Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #7

subscribed
Old 04-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Elder

cant wait

JK you dont count, you spent like $12 on your car, and still have a stock bottom end.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post

lol.

In for updates!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
cant wait

JK you dont count, you spent like $12 on your car, and still have a stock bottom end.
I also had mine on and tuned before any of those people listed above
Old 04-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
Elder

looking good, i love pictures, add some more!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViggenStory View Post
wow who did your manifold?
I got my manifold from Reindeer Performance "It's Finnnnnnnish"

Quote:
Quote:
I also had mine on and tuned before any of those people listed above
Yeah I haven't forgotten about you at all; I've bugged each JK, JZW, and Vigge a good number of times so I've got all of them to thank even before any actual work has been done. Let it be known

Plus..your numbers have been my benchmark. You'll have me out-torqued, though, until I get some methanol in the mix.

Quote:
cant wait

Mine's still stock, too T-T I'm eating $.60 deli meat and $1 loafs of bread everyday to keep this running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
looking good, i love pictures, add some more!
So do I, so I'll be taking enough pictures to make up for all the times when there weren't enough in other peoples' threads.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
naah, this all has been done by numerous persons during this past few year, but majority of those people with sucs builds, dont spend their time writing in these forums.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
JK
Elder

Ya, I'd seen photos from Europe of people using them long before I even knew about this particular brand of turbocharger...nothing new here, just quasi new to our little community here.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
cant wait

the std bottom is plenty for "most" of us. Here is a log from a friend of mines car with std bottom
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/new_enem.jpg
500whp+ no problem, rpm liter 8k and more to come. Run in fourth gear 150-250km/h 10.5s.
Orig head gasket among with orig head bolts are intact
Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:

Quote:
LOL!

Ignorance is awesome.

JK, I guess you need to post constantly on your setup for the more recent members. If it's not on the net now several times over and in someones face all the time it never existed.

Also, did I mention the search function it TSL is set to filter out JK's work. It's a conspiracy to hold back inquiring minds!

Quote:
Ya, I'd seen photos from Europe of people using them long before I even knew about this particular brand of turbocharger...nothing new here, just quasi new to our little community here.
Yep it's all relative.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to amish_geek Send a message via MSN to amish_geek
how much was that manifold from finland? And how does one go about ordering one?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by amish_geek View Post
how much was that manifold from finland? And how does one go about ordering one?
Have been there to "support" Us. saabers (Jzw and contram so far) when a local welder is Us. has not been found for likewise work and currently there is one likewise header in manufacturing which will be shipped to Us. I dont make these headers, but a company "close by" does whom as built parts for my car and many other fast saabs in this country. Pop me and email if you need further info.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigge View Post
but majority of those people with sucs builds, dont spend their time writing in these forums.
Yeah and ALL of them aren't in the U.S.

Quote:
First time I heard of a Holset was when Vigge suggested it after John sucked something into his GT30 compressor and it needed replacing. They are new for us here in the US or on our little forums here but yeah, definitely not new elsewhere. Obviously they're still 'in' though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigge View Post
Have been there to "support" Us. saabers (Jzw and contram so far) when a local welder is Us. has not been found for likewise work and currently there is one likewise header in manufacturing which will be shipped to Us. I dont make these headers, but a company "close by" does whom as built parts for my car and many other fast saabs in this country. Pop me and email if you need further info.
Would be easier for him at all if he did it in batches? Plus, all your trips to the post office..thanks again, for that.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

haha, ridiculous. I love that people are starting to use these. it looks so out of place against the engine block. let us know how this ends up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bestof useful tsl, holset, valve springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in