Another Holset thread - Page 25 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 05:17 AM   #481
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
NAAAA-- Holsets are friggen beast, No BOV Needed !

They are hard to hurt, guys in Finland are running the holsets with no bov at all, they just don't care, they take a lickin and keep on ticken, they are just like that stupid bunny, no bov, faster recover between shifts
I know, I was saying that more from the relieve more pressure above the rings instead of making a huge pressure wave against them side ofthings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #482
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
John, have you also tried running sans bypass valve? Vigge insisted that recovery time is better between shifts, which I could really use.

Something to look into later, though, as I don't even have any interest in giving the car more than half-throttle these days. 6 months until I make the drive back home.. gotta make sure it lasts.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #483
JZW
Elder

I know how it is when you have only one car, I really like the feeling of having my second car sitting on the side lines and ready to go, makes me feel a lot better about beating on my high hp car. For me, its always been the transmission, but that will soon be a thing of the past once I get in the new quiafe 6 speeds. Will be installing in a couple of customers 9k's and can't wait to see how they perform.

I have 4.45 gearing in my 9k now with LSD and cryo-treat and its a rocket ship for sure, its amazing what gearing can do for a car.

My buddy runs the synapse valve and it holds very well for sure, have not tried the one you are suggesting.

John

Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #484
Elder

By sans he meant none, not a brand

Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #485
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
I know how it is when you have only one car, I really like the feeling of having my second car sitting on the side lines and ready to go, makes me feel a lot better about beating on my high hp car. For me, its always been the transmission, but that will soon be a thing of the past once I get in the new quiafe 6 speeds. Will be installing in a couple of customers 9k's and can't wait to see how they perform.

I have 4.45 gearing in my 9k now with LSD and cryo-treat and its a rocket ship for sure, its amazing what gearing can do for a car.

My buddy runs the synapse valve and it holds very well for sure, have not tried the one you are suggesting.

John
Yeah I was happy FOR you to get another one on the side. My dad has always been concerned about this but I assured him it wouldn't blow and it's been good so far, just time for a refresh. My synchro is totally going now, the 9-3 transmission with 80k on it should do me wonders. Can't put it in third without waiting for ~1500rpm. Running taller tires/wheels has made a positive difference, too, since I can run things out a little further.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 12-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #486
JZW
Elder

Now that I am switching to viggen axles in the race car, I will have a fresh 93 gear-box with 4.45 gearing and LSD and cryo-treated gears and all new bearings and shynchros. Will be a great tranny for someone and really works well with the larger turbos.

John
Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #487
Elder

Still waiting for those damn dyno files from the shop.. I'm itching to see how spoolup looks though I don't know if it's safe to compare to dynojet runs.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 12-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #488
JZW
Elder

It would be more interesting to get you to dyno in KS and see if the uncorrected whp and the corrected whp are close. I think I came up with 421whp for the dynojet, get on the dynojet in KS and see how close to 421whp you are with the same tune,

John
Old 12-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #489
Elder

That's the plan, nothing left to tune for anyway. Gonna detune it for now just to make sure it makes it back here in one piece and then I'll run it on the dyno after making the necessary fuel corrections.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 01-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #490
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr99vig View Post
haha yeah i had the same bike in nh and put down 149/75
Came across this while browsing for other information, whoops

I'm at about 4400ft.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #491
Flirting With TSL Addiction

yeah elevation wiil do that.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #492
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr99vig View Post
yeah elevation wiil do that.
Tell me about it -__- the difference at 0 elevation with 93 octane and no change in the tune (read: leaner than it should've been) meant 4th gear burnouts. I'm from Kansas City, MO where altitude is ~700 but the car never felt the way it did at sea level with some good gas.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #493
Elder

Still no email from dyno shop.. if I remember tomorrow I'll just snap pictures of the papers.

Side note,

Someone on YouTube asked so I took a look at some logs back from when I was down in Houston running 93 octane, on the updated tune I'd made with timing added in and some AFR adjustments during spoolup.

Third gear
10psi - 3400rpm
20psi - 3800rpm
28psi - 4100rpm

I think that factoring my current altitude would give a few hundred rpm delay which can be confirmed by the latest dyno results which say max torque in 3rd being is at 4500rpm. How interesting

Now that spooling has been addressed, I can't emphasize enough how much I can't wait to convert to E85. Given Jeremy's results of torque capable of coming in 500rpm sooner, the future is very promising. 2bar of boost + just a wee bit more torque at 3600rpm just sounds like bad news for my drivetrain.

I don't plan on taking advantage of 500lb.ft. of torque, however; I expect the tune will take a different direction by trying to ramp the torque up gradually with rpm to save my transmission and to maximize top end. Burning rubber in 4th is fun but what's even better is when you're nearing the end of the rev band and it feels like your car has VTEC

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #494

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post

nearing the end of the rev band and it feels like your car has VTEC
While I still respect you and your project, you should know I died a little when you said that. VTEC + Saabs
-Cm
Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #495
Elder

its not really a shame to wish a car had one of the best/top automotive inventions of all time.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #496
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
its not really a shame to wish a car had one of the best/top automotive inventions of all time.
I totally agree. Even after my setup was finished, I borrowed my friend's Type S for whatever reason and I took it for a spin on the highway. Only has exhaust and intake. It wasn't super powerful but once VTEC comes in, torque is smooth and has the same senation as my car, as in it feels like the car pulls harder as rpm approaches rev limit.

I wish my head flowed as well as a nice B18.. and had a completely flat torque curve.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #497
Elder

Does anyone at altitude know the extra fuel requirement as a percentage that will be needed to switch to E85? I need to get a Bosch anyway but since I'm at altitude and making an uncorrected 335whp up here, I bet I could get away with running E85 with my Walbro, at least until I get home.

I'd look at what a before and after E85 converted look like on my laptop but I'm at work and the idea just occurred to me.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #498
Elder

Half way through a tank of E85 still on the Walbro. Made a super rough tune just to see what it was capable of and am now easily losing my tires in 4th, at altitude. Working on bringing the boost down and smoothing it out. 1.5bar seems to be more than enough to lose them in 3rd so I am just gonna do a full re-tune starting at 1bar and moving up.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #499
Elder

http://tinypic.com/r/2eoxsup/7

This is why it's useless to make 400lb.ft+ early on in the rev range with a street fwd car, I feel. Impressive to watch from the side I bet but have no plans of keeping it this way.

Car is currently on fairly sticky, 235 width 200 treadwear tires.

Also note, tachometer is ~400rpm behind

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden

Last edited by comtrang; 02-16-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #500
a12

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
video-2011-02-15-14-19-33.mp4

This is why it's useless to make 400lb.ft+ early on in the rev range with a street fwd car, I feel. Impressive to watch from the side I bet but have no plans of keeping it this way.

Car is currently on fairly sticky, 235 width 200 treadwear tires.

Also note, tachometer is ~400rpm behind
Didn't read your whole thread but do you have a LSD in the tranny? Looks like there's plenty of power there, just have to find a way to put it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bestof useful tsl, holset, valve springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in