Another Holset thread - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #21
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Just realized I've been neglecting the huge plastic thing in the way called my cooling fan. What has anyone used in place of it? Siliconeintakes has those slim, electric fans but no idea how well they work or which size would be best..

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
JK
Elder

Right now...my car is using a 9000 A/C cooling fan. I rarely clicks on since my car typically runs quite cool.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #23
Elder

Hmm.. trying to find one now.
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base
These look like the stock ones or are they generic images?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Branden
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #24
Elder

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=400168&page=1
Another HX35 build currently going on over on the Nissan/Infiniti side..SR20 with stock Holset and goodies. The guy doing it takes lots of pictures and gives lots of good info, I think. Pretty interesting.

One interesting bit that he had a problem with at one point:

"Got my car running today and it is going to be a beast. I have only 1 prpblem. I must have my WG vacuum run wrong because it is over boosting and the gate isn't opening up at all. This is my first external gate so I will figure it out. I did a 3rd gear pull and it hit well over 20psi and scared the crap out of me. It spools just as fast if not faster than my GT2871R(i know that sounds impossible but it does)."

"thanx for the help, but I do understand how a WG works. I used the brass nipple that you pointed out for my pressure source and it was over boosting like crazy and the gate wouldn't open. When I got home today I removed the nipple to see what was up and apparently the truck it came off of was running 35-40psi because this is what it had feeding the stock internal WG actuator... I replaced it with a regular 1/4" nipple and the gate opened around 11-12psi. I am currently running 15psi "

Sound like something that needs to be addressed?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden

Last edited by comtrang; 04-29-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #25
JK
Elder

Yeah, yours will look either like that, or like mine that was blocked completely, no hole at all. I just swapped one over from a T25 I had sitting on a shelf. Not really an issue at all, takes all of 30 seconds to "address."
Old 04-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #26
Elder

Haha yeah, the amount of time it took wasn't the concern..just didn't have mine here to look at it and see if mine had the same thing. I suppose it'd have to if both are coming from the same application. Interesting that yours was completely blocked, though.

Anyways, about a week to go til I get home! Getting ready to order some intake stuff and oil lines now..

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #27
JK
Elder

Yeah, I thought it was strange that there was a nipple with no signs of ever having had a hole in it. Why not just have a simple plug there? Something that doesn't LOOK like it should allow air to pass though
Old 04-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #28
Elder

Yours must have come off a blown motor

Oh JK, again about the cooling fan. Was the link I posted up above what an OEM one looks like?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #29
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Yours must have come off a blown motor

Oh JK, again about the cooling fan. Was the link I posted up above what an OEM one looks like?
Sorry I missed that!

The one marked as Part Number: PG-15151 is what I am using, but I HIGHLY suggest getting a universal cooling fan from Summit racing or something. The one I have is far from idea, it was just rigged up because I wanted to do a track day last year and it was the only thing I had on hand that fit.

A good slim line fan will be cheaper, easier to mount and work a ton better than a that POS.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #30
Elder

Haha okay great..I'll take some measurements and start looking for one. I was browsing summit the other day and saw they had quite a few but wasn't sure how much I needed it to flow and what size but I'll look into that now.

Thanks again for the help.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 05-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #31
Elder

Another side update..
My dad just picked up a wrecked 00 9-3 for a spare parts car at the whopping price of $800. What this means for me is hydraulic clutch/9-3 5 speed should also be coming in to play with the Holset. Also has a good, 70k motor.
That's too bad, I was beginning to like my cables breaking on me in horrible places

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #32
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to mlemorie Send a message via MSN to mlemorie
Watching this thread now. This is one of the ideas I have for my 900 when I get it all back together again. I thought that a top mount manifold was needed for large turbos like that, is it only the fan that it hits? I thought for sure that turbos of that size would push into the radiator as well. Nice build so far and good luck with it!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #33
Elder

Small update. I'm back and settled in now, so we're getting started on the new downpipe. We're gonna make it but have someone else weld it..my dad has a really nice welder but doesn't trust his skills enough for something like this so yeah..anyways!

FINALLY more of these flanges were listed on ebay so I picked one up. $20

3/8" mild steel

Of course that's gonna be cut down a bit, I had just bought it at the time. Will be working on it all this week if time permits for both me and my dad..also, I have some v-band flanges that are in the mail. They're just so much easier.

The 9-3 transmission that's in the above picture will also be going in my car, along with the hydraulic clutch

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden

Last edited by comtrang; 05-24-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #34
Flirting With TSL Addiction

That is sexy. Cant wait to see when its finished.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #35
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998TurboSaab View Post
That is sexy. Cant wait to see when its finished.
Thanks, same here..more than anything it's becoming a bit stressful for me. Just ready to get this damn thing finished and on the road.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 06-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #36
Elder

Small update - only parts left to buy are injectors and fuel pump. Injectors I don't need quite yet, fuel pump can be bought locally.

It seems like the only thing that's really stopping this from really taking the plunge forward is the oil lines not being here yet and the exhaust not being 100% completed. As of now, a motor/tranny is hanging in the on a chain from the ceiling and we've worked out as much as the exhaust as we can, from that. Also, still trying to come up with the best cooling fan solution; most likely just buy a 12" slim fan and make some kind of shroud.

In other words, it shouldn't be too long before having the hardware on the car. Trying to document any unusual quirks along the way for anyone else who cares in the future.

My bad managed this when I was at work one day. Not bad considering I remember paying $35 for all the metal used for this downpipe - a u-bend and a 90*. Makes me wish we made the my exhaust before, and also makes we wish I bought 3.5" pipe. What the eff would I do without my dad?

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden

Last edited by comtrang; 06-01-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #37
Flirting With TSL Addiction

do you know what size tubing is used for your manifold, im looking into building my own. if you dont mind, how much was that manifold? thanks
Old 06-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #38
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr99vig View Post
do you know what size tubing is used for your manifold, im looking into building my own. if you dont mind, how much was that manifold? thanks
The tubing is 38mm, I believe. We had our choice before they were made.
Price was somewhere around 500EUR, maybe a little more. Can't remember exactly.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 06-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #39
Elder

Looks great branden, how much longer do you think its going to take to finish the project? I hope this summer, cant wait to see a video of that bad boy running!

|
|
Old 06-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #40
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
Looks great branden, how much longer do you think its going to take to finish the project? I hope this summer, cant wait to see a video of that bad boy running!
For sure sometime this summer, but no word on when exactly. There's just one detail that's getting sorted out that I'm not at liberty to discuss at the moment but will as soon as it's figured out. That will be one of the larger updates to come.

Haven't had time to do much, finally found some summer work and my dad has had lots to do in the shop. EWG and wideband came in, though, so I suppose I can throw that up for the hell of pictures:

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bestof useful tsl, holset, valve springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in