New wheels - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
Administrator
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
New wheels

I hear that bigger wheels weigh more so they are a stupid upgrade or downgrade if you will. I have two questions... are there any wheels that weigh less than my stock rimms (2000 9-3 2 door 5 spoke 16 inch)? and what are the biggst wheels you can put on my car? 18x8? or is there anyway i could fit like 18 by __ "__"= somthing bigger
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
WS
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to WS
one of my friends has 18x8 on his 9-3 se and it fits ok. You wouldnt want to go any wider than 8 inches anyway. you might not like the ride of 18 inch wheels though coming from 16s. I have 17's and they are even harsh....but then again the viggen suspension isnt the softest ride around either. I would advise against 18's.......your just gonna dent or bend them, and tires cost a fortune as well.
-BSR Cat-Back and Intake
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Administrator
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
yeah maybe ill stick with 17x8s

Old 01-21-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

I'm thinking about putting on 235/45/17 tires on my new 17x8 " BBS RK II any thoughts? wider? 245, or skinnier 225?
Old 01-21-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
Elder

how about some 275/12/15's
for your repair needs
Old 01-22-2004, 06:07 PM   #6
WS
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to WS
i think that 235/45/17 will rub.....235/40/17 will be about the same size sidewall as the 215/45/17 and should not rub. 245 im not sure about on 17x8s....i know they wouldnt fit on the 17x7.5 but with the wider wheels and the different offset they may n ot even rub. 225/45/17 is always a safe bet though
-BSR Cat-Back and Intake
Old 02-15-2004, 07:51 PM   #7
SAABeginner

every 4 piston brake kit i've seen for the saab 9-3, about 2(may be more, but not by much), requires 18" wheels. I love the look of 4 piston brakes with crossed drilled rotars, and i think that the bigger wheels look great also. I know that the bigger the wheel, the more it weighs and that it slows the car down on excellerating, but is that a big enough difference to out weigh the look (how many of us are drag racing to the grocery store?). Also, with 18's how far could you lower the car? Would the standard 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches be too much?
Old 02-16-2004, 04:11 AM   #8
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to TurboRush91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS
I would advise against 18's.......your just gonna dent or bend them, and tires cost a fortune as well.
buy the right kind of wheels (i.e., not pep boy cheap wheels) and they won't bend or dent unless you hit a 3foot deep pot hole.

TO answer your other questions, yes you can find 18" rims that weigh less then the stock wheels, but its going to cost you.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:47 AM   #9
SAABeginner

I am assuming that by going with 18's and lowering the ride, it would be unlikely that i could use a 50 tire instead of a 35 or 40 tire. Is that the case? Has anyone in the forums actually put 18's on their ride? I always thought that the bigger the wheel the smoother the ride because the circumference is bigger so the tire "rides" over the bumps and potholes easier.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:56 AM   #10
Elder

I know the bigger the rim - the less the turn radius becomes, not to mention that the speedo becomes out of wack.... I see no need for 18's but hey - if you can pull it off, go for it. Just no neons please :P
for your repair needs
Old 02-16-2004, 08:09 AM   #11
SAABeginner

you wouldn't catch me dead in my car with neons. My goal is to get my ride as close to a Le Mans ride as possible, like big wheels with crossed drilled rotors. But I would like to maintain some sense of day to day driveability. I will not "rice-out" my ride.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:22 PM   #12
TSLMember

very doutfull you will be able to lower your car with 18s...plus with the smaller width tire, and harsher suspention, you are in for a bumpy ride...Id say stick with 16 or 17"...But again....if you can pull it off and have the money for the 18s go for it.but i would not think of lowering it at all.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:32 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

i have 18x7.5 SSR GT1 wheels with Falken Tire Ziex ZE-512 215/40 with rim protection, i am lowered with a 1.5 drop, and i have green neon underneath. havn't had any problems, but you do need to keep an eye out on the road, and take speed bumps easy.

My radius on my old stock wheel is bigger than the radius with my new wheels, and the tack is only off by 2 mph give or take. over all it isn't that bad.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:15 AM   #14
Elder

Since the topic is new wheels check out these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43957

Think they are bent? Maybe that's why he is selling them Damn viggen wheels...Especially driving in Arlington, VA! And look what else he is selling: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2460134679

And check out these! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2460553825 Those look awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:11 PM   #15
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
My new wheels and tires for the 04 racing season.

18*8 BBS CH (first set sold by BBS America) and 225/40-18 Pzero Corsa (treadwear 60 I hope for 6000 mile life) Grip is amazing even in winter cold!

Hope all the gearbox parts decide stay inside...

Yes the cheesy grin is real and my Viggen is in bad need of cleaning.
NCT

edited to add the other picture

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 02-17-2004, 03:36 PM   #16
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Those are nice. I've seen a pic of 19s on a Viggen, and wow...they are very hot.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 02-17-2004, 04:27 PM   #17
Elder

Loving those rims Nick!! You have a picture of the whole car with them on?

Old 02-17-2004, 04:33 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmdesign
Think they are bent? Maybe that's why he is selling them Damn viggen wheels...Especially driving in Arlington, VA! And look what else he is selling: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2460134679
Yeah I saw those - I wanted to get them, but they are gettng a bit too rich for my blood right now. I'd love to have a set of those. They would be the ultimate upgrade to my SPG's Suspension BTW- those aren't for a Viggen... and they don't look to be bent, nor ever used.
for your repair needs
Old 02-17-2004, 05:20 PM   #19
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
ok, finally made it home.. Darn viggen would not turn toward home.

the Pzero Corsas are amazing. no tirespin in 3rd , little in second! (second was worthless with the 235 Rossos) Almost cant get to 3rd before revlimit.

Please everyone wish my gearbox the best. First time I have ever gotten WOT in second. Always haid to wait for 3rd.

And the Brakes...

Better get back to working on the site. Big DB upgrade tonight might have some downtime.

Too excited to leave the store. I forgot the images there. Might post in the morning.

NCT

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 02-17-2004, 05:39 PM   #20
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Can't wait to see the pics Nick! I hope your box holds up

Thats the worst part about having a shop...leaving it to go home.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in