Thoughts on Exhaust Header Wrap? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Thoughts on Exhaust Header Wrap?

What do you guys think about using some high-temp exhaust header wrap on the downpipe/exhaust section that is exposed in the engine bay? I've heard claims of nearly 50% decrease in radiant heat in the engine bay, which makes me all tingly. On the other hand, I am a little concerned about keeping all that heat in the exhaust in such a high concentration (don't want to warp or crack any expensive parts)...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
i just wrapped mine like 5 days ago... man the smell is terrible the wrap is still in its first stages.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-29-2005, 03:46 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
I just did mine last night......pretty thick stuff, make sure you get the metal tie wrapps to keep the beginning and end of the wrap nice and tight.....

"tingly?" :P :P

Old 03-29-2005, 05:23 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
I had my downpipe wrapped for like a year. I kept the engine bay a lot warmer. I had it wrapped from the turbo back the the flex pipe.
I took it off cause i hear a good point.
If you wrap a pipe and its not stainless and it gets in contact with water. That water is going to stay on the wrap. Making the water stay on the pipe which will make it rust. After i took mine off, the whole pipe was rusted where i put the wrap onto.

Its a good product, but keep it out of pipes that would see rain or wet.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:29 AM   #5

Great for race cars or garage beauty queens. Nasty for daily drivers - I've seen handfuls of manifolds that were cracked, warped, or rusted through from this stuff, and I've never seen one that had it on for any length of time and wasn't damaged.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:59 AM   #6

i assume stainless dp wont b damaged by it bud
Old 03-29-2005, 07:15 AM   #7

You're right, bud - as far as rust damage is concerned.

How many TSL members have stainless manifolds though?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:15 AM   #8

im taking abou tthe downpipe and i think the initial poster was also talking about the downpipe my manifold is ceramic coated
Old 03-29-2005, 08:23 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
im taking abou tthe downpipe and i think the initial poster was also talking about the downpipe my manifold is ceramic coated

I think why he mentioned the manifold is that the problem you can encounter is hotter gas in the piping leading to air not moving as fast and raising EGT's all the way back to the Turbo and thus cracking the manifold from excessive heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to JABM
Wouldn't hotter gas = more energy = higher velocity ?
Old 03-29-2005, 05:21 PM   #11

precisely jabm
Old 03-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABM
Wouldn't hotter gas = more energy = higher velocity ?
Uh oh....Adrian is going to appear and deliver a sermon on fluid dynamics of gases in 4......3......2.......1.....

But....Most aftermarket downpipes are stainless for at least the first half to resist cracking. I'm looking into a heat wrap or some kind of shield because my intake pipe is about three inches away from the dp.....

The problem with wrapping a manifold is that you can't wrap it evenly, so it can't expand evenly. Cast iron is pretty tolerant of temperature extremes but it has its limits. You'd be better off coating the manifold and evenly wrapping the downpipe with Thermo-Tec or some similar product....
Old 03-29-2005, 09:49 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
precisely jabm
Are we sure about that??? We need an engineer here!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
You'd be better off coating the manifold and evenly wrapping the downpipe with Thermo-Tec or some similar product....
And/or just building a heat sheild that won't touch or interfere with any exhaust or intake manifold parts!

I've seen too many aftermarket headers/manifolds that were crap, and far too many stock pieces that were ruined by DIY projects, I suppose it's left me jaded.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:16 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
Uh oh....Adrian is going to appear and deliver a sermon on fluid dynamics of gases in 4......3......2.......1.....
I was looking for his post...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in