MP Short Shifter vs Saab Savior Short Shiifter? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

MP Short Shifter vs Saab Savior Short Shiifter?

OK well I have manage to pretty much ruin my current rubber shift knob and I want to upgrade, but whats the point without going to a short shifter. Is the MP worth saving $130 for the headache of istalling it. It seems like it is a major PITA to install vs saabsavior where I can just put in the new unit. Are the throws on the 2 shfters comparable? Will I regret getting the MP once I start the install process. Anyone have experience with either?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to RyanGaeta
i think that it is worth ssaving the money, because it really does not take that long and it isn;t hard at all. so i say get the mp one. I am happy with it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #3

cool, how long did it take you and what did you use for a new knob, OEM? Also any pics?

Old 03-25-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
TSLMember

it took about 2 hours, the mp site has detaided installation instructions with pictures, i just used those. I just used an after market knob that you screw on to the top, and i attached the regular boot back on with a twisty tie under it. and I removed the reverse lock out becasue you can shorten it more
Old 03-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #5

o cool its thread for a aftermarket knob, that is good to know
Old 03-25-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
The install is a non issue... sure the MP is a little work but for 130$ less that makes up for it. The real difference is when you drive them. The MP performance STS puts alot of stress on the other shiter parts and causes them to break as well as the car to be harder and harder to drive. the MP part I think was the worst part ive had for my saab, the screw used to adjust the fulcrum is not steal, its alu so it stripped in 20 seconds. The shifter is just poorly designed. As far as the genuine short throw mine is on order and will be in soon.
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold
Old 03-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #7

well i think ill be going with the saabsavior one, although MP will eventually will be getting my $$ for a new IC
Old 03-25-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
The MP performance STS puts alot of stress on the other shiter parts and causes them to break as well as the car to be harder and harder to drive. the MP part I think was the worst part ive had for my saab, the screw used to adjust the fulcrum is not steal, its alu so it stripped in 20 seconds. The shifter is just poorly designed.
I gotta say, the MP unit has come a LONG way from its original preliminary production stage. I was one of the first to buy the shifter, it has since, inherited a set screw for the ball, stopping it from coming lose, new ball bearings for the shift linkage, stopping this stress that boxerchip was talking about, and all for 75$ dollars Once you have the shifter unit out it is not hard to get the shifter itself out, so i think that the 130$ extra for the SS one is NOT worth it. I have had to take the shifter out probably 6 times now, each time it gets easier but, I really dont think the install is that hard. My vote would be to with the MP unit and put the other 130$ towards that IC. just my .02$
Old 03-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #9

you have had to redo it 6 times?? I just want to install and thats it.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
TSLMember

i agree with saabn, i have the new version of the mp and it has caused me no trouble, the only difference between the two is that you get a new housing with the other one, thats it, so i say save your money. And i have never had to take it out since i installed it.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #11

ok , does anyone know if the stock shift lever is threaded, so I could put a temporary aftermarket knob on there until I oreder the short shifter and leather knob
Old 03-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #12
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
no, the stock shifter has lines running down it so it glues well... but thats it.
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold
Old 03-25-2005, 06:35 PM   #13

cool, I'll just wait til I get drunk, then a week later a short shifter will show up and surprise me. hehe
Old 03-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
i didnt know MP came out with a newer model.... that would have been nice to upgrade evryone who has the first version....

anyways.. i like the MP one because its cheap... and takes out the reverse lock out... but it did have problems with the ball staying set... (but thats been solved)
but i belive the SS ones new housing gets rid of the plastic in the housing.. to prolong the life of it under hard shifting...

yeah i had to take mine apart 3-4 times... im a pro at it now...
Old 03-25-2005, 11:21 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

haha yeah iwantaviggen knows what I am talking about here, I am a pro too.

jrbrangi- the stock shift knob is just glued on, all you have to do is crack it loose and it will come off. Use a big wrench and a towel or a pipe wrench, etc. you get the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in