Piston Options - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Piston Options

Does anyone have any +/- to either of these or am I going to be happy either way. Also are there any other options out there for the 2.3 t7. The time is nearing where I dump some large amounts of $ into my baby. The JE and Maptun forged pistons are the only ones I have found.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
SAAB Road Master

I would go with the dished pistons as the stock pistons have a dish.

Also, maybe you can call up Mahle and see if they have any "box-in-box" pistons for Saabs like they do for WRX's. They won't sell them directly to you, but maybe they know the name of a distributor?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
I would go with maptun simply because they seem to know what they are doing and have been at it for years... JE im sure has less expireance with saabs.
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold

Old 03-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
Elder

When it come does to it, a engine is a enginel, Saab or not. If you go though maptun your going to be chared a ton of money. The JE psitons are good. You can go to any performance shop here in the US and ask what type of pistons are good for a 2.0 turbo engine and they will give you a anwser. Also different pistons heads are going to offer a advantage over others, and some or better for different applactions. Call up JE.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
well what is the need for upgrading the pistons?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Ive heard the pistons are good for 300hp max. After a long discussion with a my mechanic we decided that forged pistons had 0 negatives and would be worth the $. Im going to get the nordic stg 3 package soon but do not want to stay there forever so pistons would be a good thing to get out of the way. From there its a turbo, tranni, injectors and a reflash I think. Im just trying to play it safe.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonscu
Ive heard the pistons are good for 300hp max.
did the person selling the pistons tell you this? Saab uses Mahle pistons, people actually use these as upgrades for non turbo cars that are being converted to turbo. The ONLY conditions where I have ever seen one of these fail is under constant massive lean out (bad injector, running WAY too much boost all the time with not enough fuel) As Paul H and I can tell you, the stock pistons can take massive lean out shots where the fuel shuts down, you hear a bang and may get a backfire, and you are still at 20+ PSI while this happens. The ECU then turns your fuel back on, your boost is now at a more normal level and away you go!

A piston upgrade for me is on the list WAY behind a erricson 4 speed dog box, and quite honestly, neither one is ever going to make the top of the list while I own the car...
Old 03-24-2005, 04:03 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonscu
Ive heard the pistons are good for 300hp max.
did the person selling the pistons tell you this? Saab uses Mahle pistons, people actually use these as upgrades for non turbo cars that are being converted to turbo. The ONLY conditions where I have ever seen one of these fail is under constant massive lean out (bad injector, running WAY too much boost all the time with not enough fuel) As Paul H and I can tell you, the stock pistons can take massive lean out shots where the fuel shuts down, you hear a bang and may get a backfire, and you are still at 20+ PSI while this happens. The ECU then turns your fuel back on, your boost is now at a more normal level and away you go!

A piston upgrade for me is on the list WAY behind a erricson 4 speed dog box, and quite honestly, neither one is ever going to make the top of the list while I own the car...
dude you have no idea what kind of car he has do you?

hes got one of those self destructing dainty pistoned viggens .

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
Elder

oh, a viggen? that's another matter.... yeah upgrade those
Old 03-24-2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Hes just an indy mechanic. He races sprint cars which makes him which makes him a firm believer that forged pistons are the only way to go(850hp, you know). But he has worked on Saabs/ Volvos for a long time. I have heard a number of horror stories about Viggens cracking pistons. The 99s were different than 00-02(im sure you know) but I dont want to blow up the motor. The t7 2.3 has Mahle pistons? If you really think this is a waste of $ let me know. From my research(forums) I thought this was needed past stg 3.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:17 PM   #11
Elder

I would do some research on those pistons before you upgrade. the 99-00 viggens should be upgraded because it's just a well known fact that they have weak light weight pistons. I don't know about the later ones, but I might question their integrity as well. with C-900's a piston upgrade is just not something that ever has to be discussed because they just don't fail almost no matter what you do to them.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
Elder

ya take his advice, The T5 pistons are good for about 450, and the valves in the head are good for about 600hp. The viggen are are week, not a bed idea to get them out of the way. If you going to do a new stage past the stage 3, on your viggen, then do a worth while upgrade. like 350hp to the wheels.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:20 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

See, I didnt think I was off base. Last think I want to do is dump a bunch of cash into my car only to blow it up. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

JE seems to have an excelent reputation i would go with them. i assume that you are going to bore out the engine.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbokick
JE seems to have an excelent reputation i would go with them. i assume that you are going to bore out the engine.
He would not need to rebore out the engine as long as there is no damage to his block. Assumng the pistions that he gets are going to be the same size. If anything just rehone, but there is no need if there is no scoring on the side of the walls. If you compression right now is ok, and you don't have a lot of miles on the car, don't worre about it.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:58 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbokick
The MapTun pistons are JE pistons ... just custom made to MapTun's specs IIRC.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:56 AM   #17
Trollerator
Elder

no, I think maptun used to sell JE now it looks like they are Wössner

Quote:
"Maptun are now able to deliver forged pistons of the absolute highest quality! As exclusive Swedish agent for German Wössner High Performance Pistons, we offer the perfect alternative for ultra high power output in Trionic 7 cars (both 2.0 and 2.3 litre models) Wössner Pistons supplies BMW Challenge Factory Team as well as special manufacturing for Porsche GmbH. Needless to say, this is the ultimate in forged pistons. These pistons have been tested in 450+ hp Saab 9-5 applications with excellent results. "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 03-25-2005, 07:04 AM   #18
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
To get JE pistons you have to pull one and send it to them, along with some other info too. Basically they are functionally a copy except in this case we have modified the ring package. Same compression etc... Nordic uses JE pistons. These are the pistons we wil be using in my Viggen and also in Ed Smiths 2.5l monster motor. Maptun uses Wössner pistons.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 03-25-2005, 07:11 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

When are these going in? Not that I think there will be a problem but you have taken it upon yourself to try out everything first(thanks by the way) that it would be nice to hear first hand reports and problems if any.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #20
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
I believe ed has his engine together, It was a bit tricky since it is 2.5L with big bore, we had to use a 2.1 c900 head gasket. I have test fit my pistons in a spare block, Have been to busy to tear the Vig apart yet.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in