SH*T!!!!!! Got my MP Intercooler... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

SH*T!!!!!! Got my MP Intercooler...

Damn it... So I finally got my MP Intercooler today, after a month of waiting. I was so stoked when I opened the box and saw it in all it's full-aluminum glory. But then my friend pointed something out:

No mounting points.
None. They forgot to weld on the mounts.
This thing does me no good.

What do you guys think? Should I send it back and have them send me another? Or should I find some way to rig it up myself? I don't really want to wait another month or more for my IC, but at the same time I don't have access to a metal shop (or aluminum welding skills, for that matter). HELP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
i dont see why youd really need mounting points, seems to me that it should basically sit there on its own pretty well. the pipework usally provides enough support. and if not, go get yourself an ATF cooler install kit (has a few ziptie like things that go thru the intercooler and the rad to anchor it on) and use that to hold it tight.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
Trollerator
Elder

quit complaining, after all it is the affordable solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Old 03-21-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Can someone that has spoke to Chris or Eric let me know how to contact them. I have called Chris's number and left messages and sent email but have not heard anything. They have my suspension arms and I need to get them back sooooooooon. PM me if you have any contact info.
Thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Ditto... i was sent the wrong clamp.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 03-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
Elder

as i read on saabnet performance board....there no need for mounting points it goes in just fine...someone had the someone flip out when they opened theres and then put it on and it was just fine....

Old 03-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37
as i read on saabnet performance board....there no need for mounting points it goes in just fine...someone had the someone flip out when they opened theres and then put it on and it was just fine....
The clearance behind the front bumper and the radiator is all you need to mount it in place with no issues. This IC is larger and is very snug in the space so you will not have an issue with fit.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
i am extremely confused!!!!!! is this being mounted on a classic??????????
Old 03-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
i am extremely confused!!!!!! is this being mounted on a classic??????????
haha didnt even notice that he posted in the wrong section. but i would assume its going in an ng as thats what thats made for and it wouldnt fit at all in a classic.

someone should move this.

Paul

Old 03-21-2005, 10:09 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to JABM
I had the same issue when I got mine in the mail. It turns out MP discovered that there was no need for the mounting tabs and as such, they decided not to install them on any of their intercoolers. I just wish that they had told us this.

Chris just had a baby and will be out of work for a few weeks...or so I'm told.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:48 PM   #11
SAAB Road Master

So, I feel like a bit of an ass for blowing up about the IC ... turns out that I was able to install with very few problems, and the mounting problem was solved easily with some zip-ties.
During the install I decided to design a CAI to go with my JR filter (don't want hot air from the engine bay) out of 3" black ABS. turned out awesome - fits snugly all around, and puts the cone right at the bottom of the bumper...
Old 03-22-2005, 05:39 AM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
u know what all this talk all the time of people that dont want their filters pulling in hot air kinda makes me laugh, i touched my inlet pipe on my car two days ago after driving it real hard and my inlet pipe was hot as balls....
Old 03-22-2005, 05:41 AM   #13
Trollerator
Elder

that is really cool, but are you not afraid of sucking up water into your turbo and/or engine?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 03-22-2005, 05:44 AM   #14
Elder

Technically if you made more of those, you could sell to us N/A guys, because it looks like you can rotate that top piece to point more from the N/A intake side, and then it will fit like magic . What is that stuff made of though? What's ABS?

Old 03-22-2005, 08:05 AM   #15
SAAB Road Master

I'm not worried about the water issue - most of the front bumper would have to be submerged for water to get to the filter (almost an impossibility here in southern California), and the angle of the intake pipe would mean that the water would have to climb at almost 90 degreees (the CAI is a pretty tight fit - even had to trim the back of the headlight a few millimeters).

About the ABS, it's just the type of plastic (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene). "ABS is an easily machined, tough, low cost rigid thermoplastic material with high impact strength, ideal for turning, drilling, milling, sawing, die-cutting, shearing". It's what all of the plastic pieces in the engine bay (and prob. the rest of the car) are made out of. It's really heat resistant, won't break, and maintains a semi-stock look. You can pick up the pipe at any Home Depot (or other hardeware store, though they may not have the variety of the larger chains)
Old 03-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #16
SAAB Road Master

As for selling them, I don't know if it would be worth it for you N/A guys to pay me rather than make your own. It's honestly a really easy build ( I did mine in about an hour, including all the test fitting, cutting, and install), and the pipe is inexpensive (about $25 for all the pipe and couplings). Furthermore, seeing as I traded in my N/A for the SE I have now, designing one for the 2.3 would be kinda hard. It should be pretty easy if you guys want to try it though - the N/A would prob. be easier than mine, seeing as that whole left side of the engine bay is open, and there's no MAF to reposition and worry about.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:14 AM   #17
Elder

I would still suggest you went out and spent the $10 for the GOOD radiator Ties - as seen on DeLorean's IC install....

for your repair needs
Old 03-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Where do I get some? The zip ties seem to be working okay (after a 120mph romp the IC was still really cool, so I'm not too worried about melting), but I really would rather have the install be a little less ghetto...
Old 03-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #19
Elder

I think almost ANY automotive parts store will carry them - I'm not 100% certain - but if ya ask DeLorean I'm sure he could tell ya where he bought his from - both times.... :P
for your repair needs
Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to JABM
Hey-

What section of Home Depot did you find the ABS plastic in?
I searched both my local Home Depot and Lowes and could only find PVC. When asking the people who work there (like that ever does any good) they didn't seem to think that they carried it.

I've been trying to find ABS tubing because it can handle the high temps of the engine bay and thus ought to work for intercooler tubing and intake delivery pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in