Let the games begin :) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Let the games begin :)

Phase 1 complete of the planned winter upgrades to my car, out with the old and in with the new
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/Holset/asennus/
So basically everying else from air filter to catalyst where exchaged besides the engine it self. Dp from 3.5" stuff and compressor intake from 4" stuff.

Did not have much time to test it yet but here is a few graphs. Spool comapred to previous
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/holset_vs_getari21.gif
remained the same. Have my Holset with #16 turbine housing and aim is more in the high rpm power than low spool, and the aim was not to have it worse than what is was with 3071.

Performance with base mapping 100-200 8.7s with 1.3bar boost.
100-200 l8.3s with 1.5bar and 100-150 3.1s.
Power output
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/holv1.gif

The super40 likes to be run with higher boost (compressor efficiency is better at PR 3+) and will incrase boost from here on, but until the fuel side is upgraded (phase II) I dont have much play room to go with.

Anyways I very please with the preliminary results and if the car did not sound "mean" in the past, it surely now does (will make a film later.)

Last edited by Vigge; 10-26-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

nice pushin 500 bhp, cant wait to hear what it sounds like!

Amateurs.

2000 9tree
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Looking good, as usually with this car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+ few bicycles

Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Wow.

Awesome.

This is a good motivator!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Elder

That turbo could swallow that DI cassette
Old 10-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigge View Post
Phase 1 complete of the planned winter upgrades to my car, out with the old and in with the new
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/Holset/asennus/
So basically everying else from air filter to catalyst where exchaged besides the engine it self. Dp from 3.5" stuff and compressor intake from 4" stuff.

Did not have much time to test it yet but here is a few graphs. Spool comapred to previous
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/holset_vs_getari21.gif
remained the same. Have my Holset with #16 turbine housing and aim is more in the high rpm power than low spool, and the aim was not to have it worse than what is was with 3071.

Performance with base mapping 100-200 8.7s with 1.3bar boost.
100-200 l8.3s with 1.5bar and 100-150 3.1s.
Power output
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/holv1.gif

The super40 likes to be run with higher boost (compressor efficiency is better at PR 3+) and will incrase boost from here on, but until the fuel side is upgraded (phase II) I dont have much play room to go with.

Anyways I very please with the preliminary results and if the car did not sound "mean" in the past, it surely now does (will make a film later.)
Wow, you already have it running So, it looks like the Holset meets up a little higher in the rpm, but might be a hair slower on spool below 3500rpm or so in the one data group and then about 5500rpm in the 3rd gear torque pulls and then it shows where the .86ar was starting to fall off, the Holset was actually starting to go up in pressure

Get some video eh...

John
Old 10-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH

I want I can't wait to see videos!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

How does the section from the compressor side to the intercooler look?

Those stupid AC lines are in JUST the wrong spot. I can only imagine how the fit of that is under there. It's really tight with my GT30.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
How does the section from the compressor side to the intercooler look?

Those stupid AC lines are in JUST the wrong spot. I can only imagine how the fit of that is under there. It's really tight with my GT30.
its straight and simple, 90deg silicone bend from compresso, then a section of almost straight pipe and then a 90 deg silicone bend which outlet you see in the pics, which connect to the IC inlet pipe. In other words the outlet of the compressor is not too far a way from std position from which the routing to IC takes the same path.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Ah, gotcha.

That 90 off the compressor is part of the reason I'm going top-mount. I'm pretty sure mine is a restriction.

Also, I like the welded pipe off the intercooler.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
That down pipe is huge.

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
You could fit a 2 year old inside of that intake.

Looks nice.
Glad someone finally has put up a walkthrough of their own Holset setup. I'm sure many people will come back to this in the future - myself included.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Wow, you already have it running
well planned is half done Drove the car in the garage saturday morning with previous set-up and out with the new the same night. It surely was a long day, but well worth every needed sweat drop.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Ah, gotcha.

That 90 off the compressor is part of the reason I'm going top-mount. I'm pretty sure mine is a restriction.

Also, I like the welded pipe off the intercooler.

If I look at my previous top mount set-up, the bottom half of compressor to IC pipe takes the same path as now. The top half was just a vertical pipe down from compressor.
Filter to compressor was almost a straight pipe (~3") with that set-up , now a 4" pipe with a smooth 90deg bend in the bottom just before the compressor, which in terms of flow should be just perfrect.
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/Holset/as...s/image15.html

Did the IC pipes welded style in order to suppor higher boost for future needs. All other seems with silicone have been equipped with larger collars to prevent pipes from comming loose.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #15

Here is a video of a few test runs in 3rd gear, in 1st wot from ~100km/h and in 2nd from 110km/h
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/testing.wmv
seems though that the "acustics" of the car was too much for the mobile phone mic to handle

Last edited by Vigge; 10-27-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Damn, that's impressive.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Here is a video of a few test runs in 3rd gear, in 1st wot from ~100km/h and in 2nd from 110km/h
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/testing.wmv
seems though that the "acustics" of the car was too much for the mobile phone mic to handle
That sounds very mean, be careful running that thang with the coolant temp so low and the tack running 0 and the boost gage reading 0, the car does not like that

So, screw all the data, how does it feel???

Is that you're garage/shop? Is that you tig welding or you're buddy?

John

Last edited by JZW; 10-27-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #18

Quote:
That sounds very mean, be careful running that thang with the coolant temp so low and the tack running 0 and the boost gage reading 0, the car does not like that

So, screw all the data, how does it feel???

Is that you're garage/shop? Is that you tig welding or you're buddy?

John
Feels great to be honest, very agressive when you give it wot. Best part is that there is plenty of pontential to play with and with the current 1.5bar its more or less pushing like the 3071 set-up on average when taken "beyond" its capasity. Ofcourse only time will tell what the set-up has to offer but I'm optimistic that there is "plenty" left in it. Depends on how long the fuel side will support me if I will throw it on the dyno or not, but as usual road before the "show", i.e. if fueling is not enough to bring more "go" on the road the dyno will need to wait until that is taken care of.

The guy who is welding has a small company which produces custom hw for cars to and have used his services for the past years (last set-up was built there also), like many other saab enthusiast in this country. Pricing is resonable, guy is pro in welding and has all the needed tools for this kind of jobs. Just look at the pic, DP being welded with backing gas, dont see that often and seems more than perfect.

Last edited by Vigge; 10-27-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #19
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Feels great to be honest, very agressive when you give it wot. Best part is that there is plenty of pontential to play with and with the current 1.5bar its more or less pushing like the 3071 set-up on average when taken "beyond" its capasity. Ofcourse only time will tell what the set-up has to offer but I'm optimistic that there is "plenty" left in it. Depends on how long the fuel side will support me if I will throw it on the dyno or not, but as usual road before the "show", i.e. if fueling is not enough to bring more "go" on the road the dyno will need to wait until that is taken care of.

The guy who is welding has a small company which produces custom hw for cars to and have used his services for the past years (last set-up was built there also), like many other saab enthusiast in this country. Pricing is resonable, guy is pro in welding and has all the needed tools for this kind of jobs. Just look at the pic, DP being welded with backing gas, dont see that often and seems more than perfect.
Want to see if he wants to make me a manifold just like you'res That and how much and how much to ship to the good ol USA

thanks,

John
Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #20
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
Want to see if he wants to make me a manifold just like you'res That and how much and how much to ship to the good ol USA

thanks,

John
I almost asked him the same question yesterday, but I thought it seemed out of the question.
I'd definitely be 100% interested, though, if yours is working out well, Vigge.

SOLD '97 Saab 900SE
Stock 2.0
Holset HX35

-Branden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bigger boat, holset

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in