viggen exhaust - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

viggen exhaust

does anyone know if a stock viggen cat back exhaust will fit an ng900?? im hoping to get my hands on a viggen cat back but im not sure fi it will be worth it if the system doesnt bolt up. thanks!

_matt_
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

It fits! To be honest the only part of the exhaust on the Viggen from the cat back is the muffler. I had bought a slightly used Viggen exhaust and all I changed was the muffler as the other pipes looked identical to what was under my car. And yes the Viggen exhaust was installed on my '96 900 SET and now the same exhaust is on my '99 9-3. The funny thing is that the Viggen muffler was very quiet on my 900 but has a nice rumble to it on my 9-3. It should sound better when I instal my MP Performance downpipe!!
'06 Audi A3 2.0T (260 hp-307 ft/lbs)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
i have the viggen muffler too, but i didnt pay for it, my mechanic had one sitting around that was partially bent, so we straightened it out and slapped it on my 99 9-3
it has a nice low rumble at idle, and kinda pops and stuff when you down shift, or rev it up, it just sounds awesome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

ok cool, also the intermediate muffler is not on the viggen exhaust thanks guys for the quick response i hope the exhaust gives my ng900 a deeper sound also..u guys rock
Old 03-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

one last cry for help, is anyone else sure that the exhaust will bolt up?

i really just want it to get rid of the intermediate muffler and the replace the rear muffler.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Actualy I do remember one thing. When I instaled the Viggen muffler to my NG900 I had to bring the car to a muffler shop so that they could bemd the tip up a bit so it looked right. Keep in mind the Viggen bumber is lower then the normal bumper so the Viggen exhaust tip sits low on a normal NG900 or 9-3. To have the shop bend the tip for me cost me about $30 or $40 so I felt it was well worth it.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

ok guys i finally got this done...the only problem i ran into was removing the old, corroded stock system. the new one sounds great, and looks amazing too, thanks a lot boxerchip for hookin me up. ok i see that mtthewb had to have the tip bent to fit the rear bumper better. i could do this, or i can try to shave off about an inch of the lower black lip on the bumper...take a look guys and let me hear some advice. im on a tight budget and id rather leave it like this then spend money, which is why im leaning towards shaving or trimming part of the bumper...
Old 04-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Ah, memories!! that is exactly what mine looked like after I installed it. I was pissed because everyone told me it was a direct fit without any need to modify. But I have to tell you once I had the muffler shop relocate the tip, by heating and bending the tail pipe I was very happy with the finished product. It only took the shop about 30 minutes to relocate the tip. And now my tip tucks right into the allocated space in the bumber with about 1/4" around the three sides, it looks great!!! If I remember I will take a picture tomorrow and show you how it looks.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
Administrator
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
I would say just shave part off, or get a viggen bumper sure thing man glad it worked out!
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold
Old 04-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

To be honest, in my opinion if the tip is not moved the muffler looks like something that doesn't belong. It sits way to low and out of center with the notch in the bumper. No offence to anyone but for what little money ($40 approx) to get it located properly it makes all the difference. I get complements on my Viggen muffler all the time because it looks factory installed instead of a misplaced add on. If it is a matter of not having the cash right now I would hold off on trimming the bumper and save the money to place the tip correctly. You will be much happier in the end. In my case I spent my last $40 on the tip placement and had to go the rest of the week without beer!!

Either way enjoy the exhaust!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

So here is a picture of my Viggen muffler after the tip was moved up. It is not as high as I remember, I believe it fit better on my 900 SET which is the car it was originaly modified for.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #12

Looks like it always belonged there....

Nice job
Old 04-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

oh shit tha tlooks real nice, did they bend up the hangers or the actual tailpipe, looks like the tailpipe but just curious
Old 04-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by citronxbeige
oh shit tha tlooks real nice, did they bend up the hangers or the actual tailpipe, looks like the tailpipe but just curious
It was the tailpipe that was bent. I am not sure how difficult it is to do but in my case my mechanic sent me to what he described as the only muffler shop in my town that could do the job properly. Either way the cost was low and it looks good. So I certainly feel it was money well spent, and that is probably why I suggested so strongly that you do the same thing. You will be much happier with the end product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in