surge :-( - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

surge :-(

would adding another bov fix turbo surge?
i think why i have it is because i have 3inch intake pipes and the bov can not vent it fast enough. any input?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Yeah it would help as you'd be able to dissipate the volume of charged air quicker thorugh 2 ports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
when does it surge?

bad BOVs hoot or compressor surge (that slap slap)

If it is surges on accel, then I would bet WG, if its after you get off the gas, BOV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650

Old 10-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #4

after i get off of the gas.
i think i might do something like what nick did.
is it better to have them closer to the TB or turbo?
or one in each spot??? hmmm
Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
What kind of tb you have? Engine bay pic?

Old 10-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
Closer to the throttle body
Old 10-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
ahh...i thought you meant like "vrooom" surge...

yeah compressor surge, what they said.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 10-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #8

Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Is it binding wastegate or something. I did not see any benefits until we went to the bigger turbo at high revs. Looks like you are on the tdo4 maybe 18t cant see. Should be plenty what you have there. Maybe restriction on the vac signal hose or too stiff spring in the valve. Yellow max there.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Is it binding wastegate or something. I did not see any benefits until we went to the bigger turbo at high revs. Looks like you are on the tdo4 maybe 18t cant see. Should be plenty what you have there. Maybe restriction on the vac signal hose or too stiff spring in the valve. Yellow max there.
ya, its a td04. i have what ever spring you sell with it, i think it is the yellow.
i have all new vacc. lines
this is the 3ed turbo on the car that does it so i do not think it is the turbo.

i thouhgt i read something back awhile ago about the TB being bad and not letting the vacc open the bov. im going to switch the line for the the oil and bov and ill see what happens i guess.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #11

The Forge should be fine with the 18T....

When you change the spring, make sure that the BOV piston is properly lubed...

Mine was a little sticky
Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
JK
Elder

my little forge 001 works fine with my HX35 turbo, and it worked fine with the TD04 as well. I can tell that its probably nearing its limits with the HX35 at higher boost, high in the RPMs, but I don't think its an issue for me quite yet.

I don't think you'd need to look into a second BOV until you have a LOT more turbo and a lot more air going through it.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #13

it has the spring that comes in it, im not sure what it is... yellow mayb?
i hit peak boost of 24ish and hold 21 so i would want the yellow right? i have the whole forge kit if i need other springs
Old 10-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
it has the spring that comes in it, im not sure what it is... yellow mayb?
i hit peak boost of 24ish and hold 21 so i would want the yellow right? i have the whole forge kit if i need other springs
I bought mine from Forge before GS picked it up and you could order whatever spring you wanted at that time, so different people had different springs from when they ordered it. I am not sure if GS sells it with a standard spring in all of them.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Nick sends them out with the green spring.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #16
TSLMember

I run an 18T with the forge. The forge will make a loud flutter...? Mine is a little louder after I went from 15T to 18T. Maybe you have more boost in the mid range when you are letting off the gas, there for you can hear the BOV more clearly.?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #17
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Nick sends them out with the green spring.
My Forge came with a yellow spring.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:17 AM   #18
Elder

Mine came out with a green in it. Oh well.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:13 AM   #19
Elder

Try swapping in a softer spring, maybe a green one, just to see what happens. You should probably leak boost, so you won't make the same level, but it would also eliminate the surge if it's a dump valve problem. For the record, the Forge valve I just got from Nick came with a green spring in it, and the blue and yellow springs in the kit.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #20
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
The -007 recirc valves are supplied from me with a green spring. This is what i run in my Vig with 30psi.. Holds just fine.

The -004 are supplied with a yellow spring so they stay closed at idle.

Make sure it it on its own vac port with the shortest hose possible that will not kink. < some other motivation for me moving it up to the TB. > Along this same line the t7 people can connect the valve directly to the intake manifold, bypassing the anti flutter valve that allows ecu to connect it before or after the throttle. Make sure to plug the before throttle hose though or you get a intermittent vac leak.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in