Saab Link Forums banner

GS anti rear swaybar

2K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  gorillajin 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was checking GS site and I found that they carry 19~25mm swaybar.
I used to have integra gsr and I installed integra type r 22mm rear swaybar and it was great.
Since GS offers variety range of the size, I wonder has anyone tried 25mm or at least 23mm swaybar??
I honestly think that 25mm is over kill for street car, but I don't know about saab.
I replaced all the front oem bushings to GS polyurethane bushings.
With this set up, I am thinking to go with 23mm swaybar, but before I purchase it, I would like to hear you guys' opinion.

Thank you

#3 ·
I installed the 25.5mm on my 1999 9-3 and it's AWSOME. The 25.5mm causes the vehicle to actually oversteer, which is deadly in a FWD unless you know how to handle it. It's REALLY fun on dirt where you can get it to kick out with just a minor flick of the wheel. If you can handle it then go with the 25.5mm as it's far superior. Does not ruin ride quality either.

#7 ·
ok, thanks for the all the advices.
well i was thinking to go with 23mm...if GS still offer it, other wise, i will go with 22mm one since i loved it when i had it on integra gsr.

if i will take my car to a track, i guess i will go with 25mm, but it's my DD so no 25mm for me :)
thank you for the info though

#10 ·
I'd recommend starting out with the 22mm, and then stepping up to a 25 later down the road (there will always be someone who will buy the 22mm from you ;) ). That way you don't find yourself in over your head with potentially dangerous oversteer in a FWD car (which does feel totally unnatural, by the way).

That's the way I did it, and I've got no regrets.

#14 ·
Sorry Nick.;) I have the 24mm upfront and love how the 25 balances it out in the rear. Between that, the shocks springs and poly the car seems to evenly slide when pushed into corners.

But I agree with code, start with the 22 and see how it feels.

#15 ·
I like the 22mm for daily use. I have the 24mm bar up front.

But after AutoXing I would not mind a bit more rotation with willingness for the ass to come unglued.

With the price being so low and being so easy to change I am going to buy a 25mm just for track days.

#17 · (Edited)
I'm personally not convinced that the 25mm is "too much"....at least not on the stock Viggen suspension with a good set of tires. I started with the 22mm that I bought directly from GS and then about a year later I got a good deal on a used GS 25mm bar. There is definitally a difference between the two, however I would not call the 25mm dagerous or race only in any way. After running both (and I still have both), I perfer the 25mm bar. It really plants the outer rear tire going thru a turn that will allow for greater speed entering and exiting the turn. I think why people call the 25mm dangerous/race only is because it does allow for greater enter/exit speed over the 22mm and also allows for a tighter line to be taken thru a turn, which if your tires aren't up to the task will break the rear end out on you.

My recommendation is if you go el-cheapo on your tires, then go with the 22mm. However if you don't skimp on the tires, then go with the 25mm. Keep in mind, my recommendation is based on a stock Viggen suspension (exp for steering brace and poly control arms), I can't comment on anything else as I have no experience with any other suspension set up on a 9-3.

My plan is to switch between the two: the 22mm for the rainy season and then come spring, put the 25mm back on. Remeber, tires are ~75% of how your car handles and suspension is only ~25%....the key is keeping everything in harmony, the tires AND the suspension!

But I do agree, that if you don't know how to drive a car with oversteer, then stay away from the 25mm. I am a previous D-Street Prepared autocrosser and oversteer was essental for my '90 GTI to be competative....had you saw me out on the course, you would have thought that GTI was rear wheel drive. ;)

#18 · (Edited)
My car is stting on koni yellow with unkonwn after market springs :)
Like I said, I alreday installed GS' PU busings in the front control arms. I am pretty serious about handling. I think I always upgrade stuff for handling first, and go for the engine.
The only reason I was gonna order 23mm swaybar is the JDM integra type R came with 23mm swaybar and it handles a lot better than USM type R.
I had 22mm swaybar before and I used to take my integra for downhill driving on a mountain. Since saab is heavy, I won't take it to a mountain for TOUGE, but I still want to improve the handling.

I do not know how many of you have owned integra with type R swaybar and aftermarket shocks, but they handle great. JDM type R was one of the best handling FW cars in the world. So I chose 23mm size from my experiences.

Like one of members was saying, I am comparing totally different cars though.

#21 ·
I took my Cherokee's swaybars off when I upgraded the entire suspension. It handled much better than stock even at 5 inches higher. I know its apples and oranges, but goes with what Nick said. Anyhoo . . Doesn't the SE have a stiffer front bar than the Viggen ???

#22 ·
Anyhoo . . Doesn't the SE have a stiffer front bar than the Viggen ???
That's what I've heard. From the limited amount of thinking that I feel like doing, seems like a stiffer front bar would increase the understeer tendencies. I think I've heard of a couple guys with SE's switching to a softer bar up front?

#23 ·
when it comes to handling i dont think its the parts u have... i think its the car. the parts are just an add on....i have a mustang that is a track car, n i have 2 grand in parts for handling but that dont mean i can take a corner at 100 miles an hour n still live.... like u said acuras are great for handling even with stock parts, n when u upgrade it makes it even better... but im no saab god.... thats just what i think..... n y the hell would u get ride of a gsr.....dame i miss my vtec...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.