Saab Link Forums banner

Suspension Overhaul ??'s

988 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  8valvegrowl 
#1 ·
I finally have 90% of the components to overhaul my suspension! Hooray!

For anyone installing the Koni front struts.
1. Did you put 50ml of antifreeze or oil in the strut housing before fitting the insert?

There is a 2" white disc that comes with the front inserts it has a radial slit. The diagram shows it going on the shaft on top of strut housing nut. I can't figure out what function it serves.
2. Did anyone else have or use this piece?

I have Vogtland springs.
3. How the hell can I tell which end is up for the front? Both sides appear the same... Is this right?

Luckily I picked up a second set of strut housings to assemble everything ahead of time. They have been stripped and POR15'd along with new wheel bearings. I just remembered the different size hubs now... :-(
I hope I have the correct hubs on there otherwise I'll be taking a trip to a machine shop.

I recall reading in a post that the newer hubs are 5.25" in diameter whereas the old ones are 5.5". I did a search but was unable to come up with those numbers again.
4. Does this sound right to anyone?

And last but not least... I am dropping the subframe to install the poly ARB mount bushings.
5. Should I drop the pan for the hell of it while I'm down there?
I have no oil consumption issues and when I had the valve cover off it was spotless. But because 99% of the work is going to be done to get to it I feel like I should drop it while I'm there.

TIA!

See less See more
#2 ·
Answers:
1) Yes, I used antifreeze
2) No, I threw it out
3) Measure the top coil carefully, it is smaller than the bottom. I've put mine on upside down before. If you do, the coil will not sit in the upper spring seat properly and cause all sorts of headaches and weird noises. The coil should sit snugly in the upper rubber perch.
4) I don't know...What year car do you have? What year are the struts?
5) I would drop it and inspect it at the very least. Always a good thing.

#3 ·
I did measure the coils and I swear they are the same size. I have to disassemble everything to add the antifreeze anyway.

My car is a 97. I thought the strut hosuing came out of the same year. But the seller may have had 2 parts cars. I am trying to contact him to find out if he remembers which one they came from.

#4 ·
#8 ·
Yeah, the brake rotor will tell you if it's a go/no go on the hub.

As for the coil size...the top coil whould sit in the upper spring perch (which has the dust boot attached to it, IIRC) snugly...if any part of the coil (esp. the end) sticks out, flip it and try again. It's very confusing and I fucked it up twice (one time with both struts, second time with one strut.) The coil will rub on the inside of the inner fneder causing all sorts of weirdness if they are upside down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.