Saab Link Forums banner

Drag 2.0 update..

3K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  GenuineSaab 
#1 ·
Spent a little time yesterday beating on the 2.0 trying to set timing to MBT and sort the fueling. Have not messed with cam timing yet. This is on the little turbo GT2871 on 21psi ! ( I may swap this 28 with the 3071 on my Vig. It does not need the extra 50 whp..)

Not final at all, this is where we started to run low on gas. Still conservative timing and low egt. Very mismatched hardware but it flies on the road. :D plan is for a much larger turbo. Should be very gearbox friendly too with that torque.

Oh yeah the 10.5" slicks don't spin.
http://genuinesaab.com/gallery/900B204L95ShopProject

See less See more
#6 ·
ogh! sooo stock looking! hahah

I too was wondering the dual bov's, i guess you're running enough volume to require that kind of release to keep the turbo backspinning/lagging?

#9 ·
It allows pressure to be dumped off faster and might help with throttle response, the closer to the tb, the better the response.

The options are to run a larger diameter bov or even two like Nick. My bov flange is 2.00" in inner id, the forge is just over an inch, so my bov is close to what Nick has with two, although his is much closer to tb.

John

#13 ·
Yeah basically that is what I told john about when I explored the pressure spikes before and after throttle during shifting Started with one at the stock location them moved closer to throttle. Added the second one with same results.

The larger throttle bend and TB basically cheating to give a little more plenum at WOT. I think at this level a new intake might help some. Longer runners like the NA to help midrange and larger runners to fix peak power. Need a modified head including larger valves to take advantage of that.

I don't even have the big cams for sale. ;)

#16 ·
Drag strip might be a mess rain in the forecast and Street machines are in town so this weekend the strip is busy. Thursday night no rain we go for broke. :)

Power is too narrow for this gearbox. Might have to try something else. Rip the Gt30 off the Vig.. It spools earlier and made more power than this 2871. Cannot afford a new one right now. Saving race budget for some new slicks. These are about gone and a little hard. Steve got the wheels for the HHR only uses the 2 slicks (that thing runs mid 13s ! ) Cost $75 for a set of 4.

#17 ·
Sounds like you got it close to busting out a 12:cool: I am putting in a roll bar this week so I can go to Montana for a road race event this weekend, I will then be legal to run sub 13.49 and will be ready to give it a shot and try and get my car into the 12's.

good luck,

John

#23 ·
Its a Porsche educational event at the Lewistown road race course. We get some instruction and then they let us loose:cool:

Eric and myself will be heading up on Friday...

John

#22 ·
I remember that first bent squiggled up rod but my god that other rod picture I had not seen yet. So much for the strength of the b2x4 rods...........or was that some random occurence durring the tuning that had a misfire incident?

#24 ·
The rods are very stong and have been up to 650bhp with no issues, detonation and or pre-ignition can bend just about any rod...

If you start to get say a glowing plug that is causing the air/fuel mixture to ignite while the piston is still trav.
eling upwards, something has to give, if you have forged pistons, it is usually the rod that goes next

John

#27 ·
That is the thing, when things go wrong with the kind of power you are making they can go wrong real fast and as you said, it can be over before you even know it.

I can't wait to see what she does on the strip. You going to do anything to get the weight down anymore? I bet you are pretty light already comapared to me, but if you lost the heavy seats and some other items, you could get it down even more...

John

#32 ·
Very nice work Nick, I cant wait to see some more updates :cool:

I'm just sitting here asking myself. How cool would that be to see two "fast" saabs in the us running down the track together :D

The two of you seem fairly close, yall should meet up at a track in the middle sometime and run them one weekend.(goes with out saying but if it ever happens TAPE IT it would be epic ;) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.