Drag 2.0 update.. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Drag 2.0 update..

Spent a little time yesterday beating on the 2.0 trying to set timing to MBT and sort the fueling. Have not messed with cam timing yet. This is on the little turbo GT2871 on 21psi ! ( I may swap this 28 with the 3071 on my Vig. It does not need the extra 50 whp..)

Not final at all, this is where we started to run low on gas. Still conservative timing and low egt. Very mismatched hardware but it flies on the road. plan is for a much larger turbo. Should be very gearbox friendly too with that torque.

Oh yeah the 10.5" slicks don't spin.
http://genuinesaab.com/gallery/900B204L95ShopProject

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
JZW
Elder

That looks very nice! So, what rim did you use to get the 10.5 slick on there? I have been asking you for months!!!!!!!!!!

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

HHR/COBALT/9-3SS 16" steels with custom machined spacers. Steering angle is limited.

As soon as new fuel system is sorted we can head north of this rev limit and boost pressure.

|
|

Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Wow, that's amazing. Torque doesn't really fall on it's face so much even all the way up at 7500. What all is on this motor other than the GT? This gives hope for those not wanting to do a 2.3 swap/conversion..

Why do I see two BPV's?

Last edited by comtrang; 09-09-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post

Oh yeah the 10.5" slicks don't spin.
http://genuinesaab.com/gallery/900B204L95ShopProject
Damn I never even thought about the steel from an HHR/Cobalt SS..how much did you pick them up for?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
ogh! sooo stock looking! hahah

I too was wondering the dual bov's, i guess you're running enough volume to require that kind of release to keep the turbo backspinning/lagging?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Damn I never even thought about the steel from an HHR/Cobalt SS..how much did you pick them up for?

He has the enem 276 cams in that motor, forged pistons, etc.

John
Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
yes, i'm curious as well...
why the two BOVs and why have them on throttle bend?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
JZW
Elder

It allows pressure to be dumped off faster and might help with throttle response, the closer to the tb, the better the response.

The options are to run a larger diameter bov or even two like Nick. My bov flange is 2.00" in inner id, the forge is just over an inch, so my bov is close to what Nick has with two, although his is much closer to tb.

John
Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
sweet... makes a lot of sense
thanks JZW!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Damn that thing looks like a beast!

^CLICK ME^
Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
Elder

Well you can definitely see the benefit of those with this dyno, compared to a typical 2871. Nick's just using these threads as advertisement for them, to steal our money . Definitely worth looking into, though.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #13
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Yeah basically that is what I told john about when I explored the pressure spikes before and after throttle during shifting Started with one at the stock location them moved closer to throttle. Added the second one with same results.

The larger throttle bend and TB basically cheating to give a little more plenum at WOT. I think at this level a new intake might help some. Longer runners like the NA to help midrange and larger runners to fix peak power. Need a modified head including larger valves to take advantage of that.

I don't even have the big cams for sale.

|
|

Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Elder

Those aren't 9.6 or 10.4's? Hmm..
Old 09-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
that car is sex!

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #16
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Drag strip might be a mess rain in the forecast and Street machines are in town so this weekend the strip is busy. Thursday night no rain we go for broke.

Power is too narrow for this gearbox. Might have to try something else. Rip the Gt30 off the Vig.. It spools earlier and made more power than this 2871. Cannot afford a new one right now. Saving race budget for some new slicks. These are about gone and a little hard. Steve got the wheels for the HHR only uses the 2 slicks (that thing runs mid 13s ! ) Cost $75 for a set of 4.

|
|

Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #17
JZW
Elder

Sounds like you got it close to busting out a 12 I am putting in a roll bar this week so I can go to Montana for a road race event this weekend, I will then be legal to run sub 13.49 and will be ready to give it a shot and try and get my car into the 12's.

good luck,

John
Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #18
Elder

john, what road race event??
Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #19
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Bad. Ass.

Love the BOV setup.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Make sure to video tape the run at the strip.

^CLICK ME^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in