Saab Link Forums banner

Boost Gauge Questions...

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  PoisonBeef 
#1 · (Edited)
I installed a autometer phantom II vacuum/boost gauge on saturday and was wondering what kind of readings should I be getting? I have a 99 9-3 SE HOT with the stock T25

I installed new plugs, and tapped the BPV vacuum line which I replaced with 4mm silicone hose.

When I start the car the gauge shows around 17in HG of vacuum, it seems that I really have to accelerate to get the car to boost past 0 psi.

Driving on the highway I hit it pretty hard and it boosted to around 10 psi, but when I get off the gas the gauge reads around 20-25 in HG, is that normal?

If the gauge is functioning properly, it seems that when city driving, the car spends most of its time in vacuum...

What do you think??? Are there any alternatives to the crappy plastic vacuum line you get with the gauge?

#6 ·
if you have a mechanical boost gauge, it's possible that somewhere between the t fitting and the gauge, your line might be kinked. you could be seeing that 10psi on the highway because the pressure behind the kink is pushing it 'straight,' so to speak. If it's electrical, then a bad ground on the sender might be your problem... or it could be the sender wire is shorting to ground. I say go with the electrical if you have a mechanical and it's not too late to return it. Less problems. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
I have a non-hot and I see about those readings. On a good day with a hard pull she will hit 14psi, but settles around 10-12.

Remember 1st and 2nd gear are limited to 7psi or so while the rest are more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.