Custom Tuning with JZW - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Custom Tuning with JZW

Drove up to see John on Sunday, he needed to borrow my welder for a roll cage and offered me some custom road tuning in exchange. It was really nice hooking the laptop to my ECU and watching the ECU parameters as I drove my Saab. My wideband was showing that my Saab had been running rich under full boost and John was going to fix it. Turned out the largest problems were hardware. My DI was going out and was stuttering at high boost. One of John’s spare DIs fixed that. Then a hose blew off several times and also leaked a bit. Once the hardware was fixed John monitored the ECU on his laptop while I did several pulls. He was able to adjust boost, fuel and timing to dial in my Saab. It feels fantastic now. Just enough boost to chirp the tires in second and a little safer timing under full boost to keep the knock down. My Saab’s never felt this good before.

John also let my drive his monster convertible. It is definitely the fastest car I have ever driven, and a bit terrifying. It was surprisingly drivable at low rpms, but once it hit 4000 it just took off. The time between driving the speed limit and being thrown in jail was very short. It was easier to handle than I expected with that much torque. I did not have any trouble keeping it straight or keeping traction in 3rd and above. In all it was a pretty fun day.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What did John use to tune? T5Suite?

Paul
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
JZW
Elder

Thanks Eric, that was a lot of fun switching up cars and I had a great time watching my vert close in on me in the ng900/viggen With the tdo4, I would take off from a stop and get out a 100 yards or so and then I would see the vert closing fast and it was kind of a trade off with the instant power of the tdo4 and the bigger wait of the gt3076. I am sure the driving style has something to do with it and its hard to just jump in a car that has a power band from 4500-7200rpm and get used to it...

I was tuning Eric's cars via-can bus Its awesome, you can see all the engine parameters and when in the fuel and timing maps, the table that the ecu is using is highlighted, its an awesome tool. We drove around and did pulls and I watched the knock levels and coolant temp and iat and all that and adjusted the timing and fuel until the car was pulling nice and hard at 18-21psi and felt nice and smooth with little to no knock detection.

It was a fun time. I need someone to drive my vert while I dial it in now

John

Old 09-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
John does the canbus come with software?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^CLICK ME^
Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #5

eric, what did you have for a tune before?

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited 60th ed.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post

No, it must be purchased separetely...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
No, it must be purchased separetely...
What software specifically is it if you don't mind me asking?

^CLICK ME^
Old 09-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Umm actually I think you are confused John, Yes CanBus software is free. Its just run through T5 suite with a special dongle that needs to be purchased.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastaero View Post
Umm actually I think you are confused John, Yes CanBus software is free. Its just run through T5 suite with a special dongle that needs to be purchased.
Thanks for clarifying, that whats I figured John meant.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastaero View Post
Canbus is 154.00, sw to run it is free..... Maybe that is more clear

Just buy canbus and load drivers and it works with t5 suite...

Last edited by JZW; 09-08-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewz airflow se View Post
Maybe I did misunderstand you're question, you do have to buy the canbus switch, but there is no other sw you have to buy to go with it. You just need to buy the 154.00 can bus and load the drivers to work with t5 suite.

John
Old 09-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Maybe I did misunderstand you're question, you do have to buy the canbus switch, but there is no other sw you have to buy to go with it. You just need to buy the 154.00 can bus and load the drivers to work with t5 suite.

John
So why are people buying bdm's if you can just tune through canbus without soldering etc...?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
So why are people buying bdm's if you can just tune through canbus without soldering etc...?

Because the BDM route only costs you about $20 vs. $154

x-VWer:

Old 09-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
Elder

i believe you also have to burn a final chip once you do the canbus tuning, it doesnt make on he fly permanent changes

Old 09-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via MSN to comtrang
Quote:
It was a fun time. I need someone to drive my vert while I dial it in now

John
If I pay the gas to drive over from Salt Lake City and drive your car, will you tune mine?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
i believe you also have to burn a final chip once you do the canbus tuning, it doesnt make on he fly permanent changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
From my limited knowledge of it, Canbus lets you save your preferred "live parameters" to your laptop's ram and then you take your laptop to your BDM workstation to flash that info onto your ECU. I don't think Canbus has the capability of flashing your ECU.

Am I right JZW, Lastaero?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by adshaft View Post
From my limited knowledge of it, Canbus lets you save your preferred "live parameters" to your laptop's ram and then you take your laptop to your BDM workstation to flash that info onto your ECU. I don't think Canbus has the capability of flashing your ECU.

Am I right JZW, Lastaero?
This is correct, you can tune with the canbus live, its live tuning, you change the injector konst or boost, it changes while you drive, we dialed in the timing and fuel and boost all while we were driving and doing pulls. Once I was satisfied with the results, I would save the settings. Once the tune was complete, I would save the entire tune, then we drive home, shut the car off and all the settings are now lost in the ecu.

I take my saved settings and then flash the ecu one time and its done.

You live tune, but you still have to flash one time to make perminent changes to the ecu. The canbus only changes the ecu ram and once its powered off, the ram settings are lost and whatever was in there before you made changes are back.

Its much better than flash it, drive it, flash it, drive it. You can now live tune it and flash it once when everything is perfect.

John
Old 09-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
If I pay the gas to drive over from Salt Lake City and drive your car, will you tune mine?
The custom tuning is best, I would love to tune you're car in person and sure you can drive my car and try to catch me on the back country roads

I find that even when one car is just right, the tune may be off on another car of the exact same hw, etc...

I don't know why, but Eric's car took much less fuel than a 2.0 at sea-level with the same boost. He did have walbro 255, that is part of it, but I had to go back 20% from a pro sea-level tune fuel map level from a 2.0 car with td0-4. Maybe there is something to less fuel needed at elevation. Eric's is 2.3 motor...

John

Last edited by JZW; 09-08-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #19

Can you load saved settings as a way of 'live tuning'? IE Create a tune, save it, instead of flashing it just load the saved tune via CANBUS and have it on the fly?

The reason I ask is I have been working on setting up a Car-PC for awhile, and have also always wanted the option to run different tunes like the Cobb setups for Subies. This would make it so that if I have the Car-PC hooked to the ECU via a CANBUS I could select the tune I want to run when I start the car by using the touch screen on the dash... that would be super pimp.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #20
JZW
Elder

I am not positive that can be done, I know you could do it map by map, but not sure if you could do the entire tune, but maybe...

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in