ebay bypass valve - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Elmo
ebay bypass valve

ordered this earlier tonight.

looks identical to the stock bosch one, just made of aluminum. not sure what i will get as far as a spring, but i just wanted something that would hold up better than the stock plastic one... this should do it. good price too.

couple others available for those who want them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230287258085

i'll let you know when it arrives and whether its a quality product or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
SAAB Road Master

It looks like a knock-off of the Forge valve. You'll have to let us know how the quality seems to be. The price is definitely good, about half of what Forge wants.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jdinneen
Mike D has one just like this - I tried it out for a week when his car was out of comission and it worked wonderfully - much better than the stock unit and much cheaper than a BOV with very similar benefits.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
x2, awsome valve, never brakes, very very well made holds more than 30psi without any spring replacement, and still opens at less than 1 inch of vac. . Saabeh and therealET also run similer valves. really a great investment
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #5

excellent news... thanks a bunch guys!
i was initially skeptical, but now i can't wait

do you know who manufactures it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Elder

please report back when installed, i hope you have as good of luck as i have
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
JK
Elder

Neat!

The sigle piston forge design is good and simple. I can see a knockoff working anywhere from great to OK with a similar deisgn. I'd assume its servicable? If so then it should be pretty decent for $50.

I personally like trolling boards to find people selling real forge units in the $70-100 range...but if I don't have time for that, this might be a good alternative!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
please report back when installed
will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
The sigle piston forge design is good and simple. I can see a knockoff working anywhere from great to OK with a similar deisgn. I'd assume its servicable? If so then it should be pretty decent for $50.
my thought's exactly... bypass valves aren't the most complex of parts and i think it would be sorta hard to screw one up. then again, it is ebay

Old 09-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
Hope it works well for you
Old 09-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Neat!

!
it is very serviceable, and simple,, Simple things are always the best.....
Old 09-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to therealet23
That valve works amazing as I used to have one. It came with 3 springs and 2 washers. I never had any problems and it held boost and was very responsive. The fact that its not a legit forge valve didn't seem to affect it at all.

95 900 S - SOLD
93 9000 AERO - SOLD
95 9000 AERO T5Suite-Stg3
- SOLD
99 BMW 540I/6SPD-RIP
01 AUDI S4/6SPD-RIP
Old 09-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Adrenaline406
ogh man, i took a chance in twice on ebay with bov's figuring i could make them work... they didnt. I got a forge atmos knock-off. Barely ever opened. I put in forge's lightest spring and it opens *better*. It is still not constant.

The other one is a hks ssqv knock-off. I know that it doesnt seal on the vacuum hose side. As in it doenst hold vacuum and therefore will not open. I've already cracked it open twice and i cant get it to seal any better.

It sounds like you found one of the few that will function, congrats, but do be careful.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #13

hey guys,
got the valve installed tonight and did a few runs. sounds awesome, but don't think i have the right spring in. i'm running about 2-3 psi lower than i was before. it might just need to be worn in a bit, but i'll play around with the different springs tomorrow and let you know.

question...
[my gauge tells me] i was running about 17 psi on my viggen with 3" DP and ETS intercooler (no tune). out of the three springs; soft, medium, hard (all relative of course) what would be my best bet? i know the only way to know for sure is to try them all, but i'm worried its just a crap valve.

thanks

Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #14
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I use the lightest spring at 25+ psi and so does miked.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #15

thought so, thanks!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #16

got it all sorted out. the lightest spring works the best, got it to run 17 psi like before. decided to run it in "reverse" out of preference... i love how aggressive it sounds that way

you all know what a bpv looks/sounds like, but ill post pics and video tomorrow sometime

Old 09-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #17

well now i think i might have some boost leak. i noticed boost was down about 5 psi at peak. idle is still the same, but it just doesn't have as much umpf as before. i put the stock bosch valve back in, and its not as bad, but i'm still not back to where i was. i'm going to zip tie all the fittings and barbs this weekend and see if i slow it down.

if you are considering buying one of these i wouldn't recommend it until i figure out where my issues are coming from.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

3 people have great success, and 1 person doesn't. I think it was your installation, or maybe try a few other things.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in