Will 9-5 Aero calipers fit on my 9-3? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2005, 06:14 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Will 9-5 Aero calipers fit on my 9-3?

Long story, but I am looking at swapping the brakes from a '00 9-5 Aero onto my '99 9-3. Seeing as how we all know the Viggen brakes are a good upgrade for the standard 9-3 I would like to know if the Viggen calipers and 9-5 Aero calipers are interchangeable. I know the rotors are the same (except for the grooves), I just need to know if the calipers are the same. I am hoping someone knows so I can save removing my calipers only to find it does not work and then having to bleed the brakes.

Any advice would be appreciated,
'06 Audi A3 2.0T (260 hp-307 ft/lbs)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Yes they will fit. You will need to find or buy new the Viggen Backing plates / shields since the Aero upright is much different. Also you will need the larger 9-5 Aero or Viggen brake rotors. The new setup will require 16" wheels and will use the same brake pads as any 9-5 / 9-3. If I was doing it though I would just swap the entire caliper since is it is a very good time to flush the brake fluid. Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:26 AM   #3

Nick,

Do you still sell the backing plates to convert NG900 (97+) brakes to Viggen / 9-5 rotors?

Old 02-21-2005, 04:30 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Thanks for reply Nick.
'06 Audi A3 2.0T (260 hp-307 ft/lbs)
Old 02-21-2005, 05:27 AM   #5
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

The backing plates / dust covers are $20.00 each side.

|
|

Old 02-21-2005, 05:35 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

nick r these the same for a 9-3? what else would b needed to put the rotors on... i am planning on using viggen rotors and my stock calipers.....
Old 02-21-2005, 07:56 AM   #7

Rico, I think the backing plates and new dust shields are all you need, as long as you're using the stock calipers. Ragtopcav on Saabcentral just had a thread about it....

The 97 and newer Saabs use the same hub diameter, so the rotors should slide right on....

You thinking what I'm thinking?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #8

dude if nick is telling me i can get these dustshield/backing plates for 20$ a piece i am doing it as longs as thats all i have to change to use the new rotors

nick do u have these?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:36 AM   #9
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

It takes: (to upgrade a 9-3 99-02) Others are different.

Larger Rotors 308mm Aero 9-5 or Viggen
Caliper mounts. The bracket that holds the piston body. (should just change the whole caliper and bracket)
Dust shields for the bigger disks.
Brake fluid and new pads.
Seal rings for the new calipers. fluid line.

|
|

Old 02-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #10

so i technically cant use my stock calipers... is there anywhere i can get viggen calipers then???? i found them on eeuroparts.com

so here is a price list i composed from saabsite.com

150$ each caliper
225$ for the rotors
40$ for the dustshields from nick
so its over 600$....with all the misc stuff...

someone that has done this... help me out here.. if i get the dustshields from nick, they have the viggen mounting .. so in essence could i not make a bracket that would bolt onto it and to my stock calipers so i can just use them..?? this would save me 300$ and give me lots more interest in doing this mod.....
Old 02-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #11
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricot83
150$ each caliper
225$ for the rotors
40$ for the dustshields from nick
so its over 600$....with all the misc stuff...
You're lucky you're not driving a '94-'96 NG900. I had to deal with rotors not fitting the front hubs when I fitted the 308mm brakes . It's either machining the hubs in order to fit the rotors or adding new hubs and bearings to the list of parts needed.

The increase in stoppingpower makes it worthwile though .

If you want to upgrade your Saab it's going to cost you (a lot of) money .
Old 02-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Yep not cheap unless you are lucky enough to find some used calipers.
We looked at making a new adaptor to space the caliper out. It sounded great...

The problem was the aero "big" rotors were not big enough and had the same back-spacing leaving not enough space for an adaptor and new bolts. If you wanted the other alternative is to scrap the backing plate and rotate the caliper upwards a few degrees giving more space but a less than ideal form for the adaptor.

You are right about the early cars and the larger wheel hub.. You can machine it down but it ruins the bearings getting them apart to do it. It is a problem with many big brake kits too. Watch out on the back ones too 94-96 Not any real cheap options…

|
|

Old 02-21-2005, 02:55 PM   #13
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuinesaab
Watch out on the back ones too 94-96 Not any real cheap options…
The brakelines connect to the opposite site of the rear caliper when upgrading a 900 to 9-3 brakes. Can't remember wether it was the 900 or 9-3 caliper that connected at the top or at the bottom of the caliper. It's best to replace the solid brakelines as well when doing the rearbrake upgrade.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:16 PM   #14
TSLMember

Once the big brakes are fitted, you can choose between plain 9-5 rotors, grooved 9-3 rotors, or..............................these crossdrilled 308mm Opel OPC discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in