255 pump installed - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

255 pump installed

just thought i would show you guys some pictures of how i did it.

question and comments welcomed

screw pulling the tank out!!!
tin snips helped me out here

the pumps hookups at reversed from the stock one.

Last edited by jonny72888; 08-29-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #2

make sure to use hose that is fuel rated and pressure rated. the one with the blue is. its about $5 per foot

i used fuel rated clamps to

you will need to cut the old plug off to put a larger one so i added one with rubber on it because the + and - are to close.

i used the 340

look at all the crap

Last edited by jonny72888; 08-29-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

how much hose did you end up using? and do you feel any differences since the installation?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaaabi View Post
how much hose did you end up using? and do you feel any differences since the installation?
i used about 1 foot of 5/16"
i got 2 and i think i used about half or mayb alittle less.

i havnt had it out on the highway yet, but i do not think it was running lean from the start so i shouldnt see anything. i did it because im going to stage 5 and want to be on the safe side.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
JZW
Elder

Nice work, glad to see you got it going.

John
Old 08-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Nice work, glad to see you got it going.

John
it wasnt as bad as i thought.

off topic but what size T did you use for you fuel gauge?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

i may have to do this soon so makes things look a little easier. im going to be running just over 300whp so is the standard pump fine or will i need one of these 255 jobbies?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrightman View Post
i may have to do this soon so makes things look a little easier. im going to be running just over 300whp so is the standard pump fine or will i need one of these 255 jobbies?
not sure, but for $90 why not? only took about an hour plus a run to napa for hose and clamps.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
it wasnt as bad as i thought.

off topic but what size T did you use for you fuel gauge?

Those are the hardest to fine! I think it was 5/16 brass t. The first time I used a vacuum T from advance auto, the large mult-size white plastic one because I could not find anything in metal. I was worried at first, but it held over 3 months and did not degrate at all, held fine until I finally took it back off after I was satisfied fuel pressure was good and a/f looked good after installing new walbro 255 fuel pump.

John
Old 08-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZW View Post
Those are the hardest to fine! I think it was 5/16 brass t. The first time I used a vacuum T from advance auto, the large mult-size white plastic one because I could not find anything in metal. I was worried at first, but it held over 3 months and did not degrate at all, held fine until I finally took it back off after I was satisfied fuel pressure was good and a/f looked good after installing new walbro 255 fuel pump.

John
so you just cut the fuel line under the hood near the rail and but the T?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
JZW
Elder

Yup, I cut the main delivery fuel line, do not cut the return! The delivery line has a larger nipple at the fuel rail. I bled off the fuel pressure by pulling fuel pump fuse and running the car until it will start no more.

Then cut the main delivery fuel line, take heat gun and heat up each end one at a time and press fit onto T without crimping the fuel line, then heat the other side and slip onto other side of T and then run regular fuel line, about 1.5 feet to a fuel pressure gage. I then run the line up under the hood and place the gage on the windshield on passenger side so I can read it as I do wot pulls. I then go out and do wot pulls and watch the fuel pressure.

It should idle at 43psi and should go up to 65-70 psi under full boost. The first fuel pump I had issues with would do fine until about 18-20 psi of boost and then past 20psi if boost, the fuel pressure would fall back the other way and fall from 65psi to 40 psi of fuel pressure at 25 psi of boost.

I put in new fuel pump and whalla, had 65-70psi of fuel pressure all the time under full boost, did not fall off at all...

John
Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #12

forgot to put this one... thats what it looks like now.

i think im going to put a fuel pressure gauge on the car.
thanks John
Old 08-30-2008, 02:01 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

true isnt alot but stuffs a fair it more over here in the uk! are you not going to fit a panel over the hole? just that water and crud tends to get up over the tank sometimes.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #14
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What's the difference from the 340 to the 341?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrightman View Post
true isnt alot but stuffs a fair it more over here in the uk! are you not going to fit a panel over the hole? just that water and crud tends to get up over the tank sometimes.
i dont know yet, there was a stock hole and no cover so mayb its not needed
Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #16

Thanks for this helpful thread jonny72888. I just ordered the 340 from Lightning Motorsports.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 01-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #17

good luck, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #18
Elder

I did some research and it looks like you don't want to use SAE 30R9 hose for in-tank applications. You want SAE 30R10 according to Gates (fuel hose maufacturer)

Use this---> NAPA part number for 5/16 (7.93 mm) SAE 30R10 hose is NBHH209, $28.49 for 1'.
Here's what they say:

"Avoid Comebacks: Install
Permeation-Resistant Fuel Line Hose
Fuel line hoses carry gasoline from the tank to the fuel pump, to the fuel filter and to the
fuel injection system. While much of the fuel lines are constructed of rigid tube, sections
of it are made of rubber hose, which absorb engine and road vibrations.
There are two basic types of rubber fuel hose used for automotive fuel line replacement:
1. Fuel and oil hoses that meet the SAE 30R7 standard.
2. Fuel injection hose that meet the requirements of SAE 30R9.
Not Recommended: Standard Fuel and Oil (SAE 30R7) Hose
Standard fuel and oil (SAE 30R7) hose is rated for low-pressure applications at 50 psi
working pressure up to 3/8” size, and 35 psi for sizes over 3/8”. This general-purpose
hose contains a light reinforcement, and the rubber materials can be any compound that
is suitable for fuel, oil and vapors. However, Gates engineers warn that this hose is not
suitable for use on any fuel injection system—even as a return line. It is not designed to
handle the pressures or “sour gas” that can form in the return line. In addition, this hose
can emit 30 times more hydro carbons than SAE 30R9 hose, making it a significant
source of pollution.
Recommended: Fuel Injection (SAE 30R9)/MPI Hose
Fuel injection (SAE 30R9) or MPI (multi-port injection) hose is reinforced to handle
higher pressures up to 180 psi. It can be used on all injection systems that use hose
clamps, but it should not be used to replace coupled assemblies on fuel injection
systems.
Fuel injection hose is designed for low-permeation contact with a wide variety of alcohols
and alcohol fuel blends, such as ethanol, diesel and biodiesel fuel. It allows 15g/m2/day
of fuel loss (well below the allowable standard). Gates SAE 30R9 hose features a thin
inner layer wall constructed with a compound called Fluoroelastomer (FKM), which
resists gas permeation and retards aging. This first layer protects the rest of the hose
from swelling or permeation, which can be caused by aromatics, oxidized gasoline (can
occur in fuel injection systems), ethanol or oxygenate additives, as well as a wide range
of petroleum-based products.
The laminated tube will resist cracking caused by “sour gas,” which forms when unused
gas is returned to the fuel tank. As an added benefit, this hose construction reduces
emissions because fuel cannot evaporate through the hose walls.
SAE 30R9 hose is also recommended for diesel and biodiesel fuel because its
fluoroelastomer tube resists deterioration caused by some diesel fuel additives. As
refineries produce cleaner fuels and lower allowable permeation rates during the “vehicle
at rest” condition, older hose specifications such as SAE 30R7 are becoming less
reliable. This type of hose is no longer specified on OEM automotive fuel applications
because of stringent permeation standards.
Therefore, Gates engineers state that the best choice for automotive fuel line hose
applications today is fuel injection SAE 30R9 hose. For installers, it is the best choice for
reduced comebacks, high performance and assured trouble-free service in a changing
fuel environment.
Finally, for submersible applications such as in-tank fuel pumps, only SAE 30R10 hose
should be used. As gasoline comes in constant contact with the outside of an ordinary
fuel line hose, it can swell and prematurely fail. And when the hose fails, the pump will
fail.
Specially engineered to be submersible, Gates Submersible Fuel Line Hose exceeds the
SAE 30R10 rating and is capable of handling gasoline, alcohol-extended gasoline or
diesel fuel in fully immersed, mobile, stationary and marine applications.

Gates Submersible Fuel Line Hose tube and cover contains Fluoroelastomer (FKM), and
is reinforced with aramid fiber—the same fiber used in bulletproof vests that is poundfor-
pound stronger than steel. Click here to learn more about Submersible Fuel Line
hose.
For more information contact your Gates representative."

NAPA part number for 5/16 (7.93 mm) SAE 30R10 hose is NBHH209, $28.49 for 1'.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 04-22-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
I did some research and it looks like you don't want to use SAE 30R9 hose for in-tank applications. You want SAE 30R10 according to Gates (fuel hose maufacturer)
I was just about to write/question after the same issue, a hose that is meant for fuel delivery may not survive when submerged and there are more than plenty examples of this where it has gone wrong.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
a12

Yeah that submersible Gates fuel line is hard to find and they only make it in a couple of sizes.Non-submersible will start to fall apart on the outside after a while and could clog up the fuel filter, and then eventually completely fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
walbro 255

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in