Saab Link Forums banner

Gt28 or TD04 18t

14K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  jonny72888 
#1 ·
im not sure which way i should go to get my car ro the last stage it will see. 300 to the wheels

im getting the ecu done by jak so the only thing thats in question it the turbo. im getting injectors no matter what turbo i get, but its the amount of custon work that will be needed for the gt that is making me lean for the td04.

who has a gt in there car with some pictures of it? ( i did search but there was nothing that helped me)
is there a way to get a gt with the same 3 bolt exhaust side? so i do not need a custon dp made.

as fro price, a rebuilt td04 18t with a 6cm is $850 and a gt28 is around $1100 so im not sure how to go about it.

any info of your set ups will be great.

im not going to maxing out the turbo, im going for 300whp and im done, i was told by jak the the 18t would be good for 320-340 and the gt would get me up to 350-370 but if all im going for is 300 it should really matter other than spool time.

#3 ·
i have a 15t now so all i would have to do is swap it and thats why i like the idea of it over the gt, but the gt will work alot less to get the 300hp. i do not want super high egt.

what about getting the 6cm made bigger to say 7 or 8 and using a 19t? has any one done that?

#7 ·
Look at it this parts and the GT cost X of amount of dollars.
parts and 18t cost X amount of dollars
not having to worry how high egt priceless

P.S. basically don't u just need some different lines for the GT and some more/different IC plumbing total cost difference $500 and if u ever want more HP all u got to do is retune

#12 ·
well when i shopped for the turbo i didnt go to the cheapest, i went with someone who has a years of feed back.

ok so for a 19t it would be $850 and im done
a gt, $1100 for the turbo, ill need the exhaust addapter plate and have it welded on, $150, new lines $50, WG $100, and intake pipe, ect... $150.
so $1500.

who here has a 18t or 19t?

does anyone have pictures of their gt set ups?

#14 ·
well when i shopped for the turbo i didnt go to the cheapest, i went with someone who has a years of feed back.

ok so for a 19t it would be $850 and im done
a gt, $1100 for the turbo, ill need the exhaust addapter plate and have it welded on, $150, new lines $50, WG $100, and intake pipe, ect... $150.
so $1500.

who here has a 18t or 19t?

does anyone have pictures of their gt set ups?
IF u get the right turbo u shouldn't need an exhauset addapter plate or a WG if u get an internal wastage on the turbo

#13 ·
I have Jak's Big T28 if that's what you are asking ( 28 wheels on both sides) on my 9-5 I was able to use my JT DP from my GT17 without any changes. Jak had to clock the Exhaust housing a bit. Not sure about the differences on the 9-3.

It is a good turbo for the 2.0 but I think on my 2.3 it runs out of puff a bit ( and so does Jak.

If I had to do it all over again I would ahve gotten the TD04 18 or 19. But that's because its on my 2.3, on the 2.0 I think it is perefect....

#16 ·
you know a gt28 flows like 10 more cfm than the 28 right? I've yet to see a gt28 make more than 12whp more and not once has it been over 300...most being in the 280 rang on a 2.0 on a dynojet if they were lucky. Go with a 18t

#19 ·
The center sections are the same, so you can just swap compressor/exhaust housings to suit the particular car you want to run the turbo on. The dead giveaway that the exh housing is a 6cm is the tab for the brace to the engine block that the 9000's have. It'd be on the front in a 900/9-3/9-5.

#21 · (Edited)
Yeah, I would only go to a place that can either tune your car on the street, or one where the tuner will work with ya until it's right. When I had the 3+ Jak worked with me to get it right. I then went with SQR because they showed up 40 miles from my house and spent hours working on it. Lots of cars can hit big numbers whp wise, but most of those numbers are only for a split second based on torque. What you want is a nice pull all the way through the power band. and my car now pulls all the way to 19-22 depending on weather and sustains the pressure until I let off or shift. It's easy to hit 250whp like my viggen did on the 3+, but it would fall from there very fast. 91 octane sucks!
Jak will get ya there for sure and since you are going with him, get what he thinks is best.
Good luck.

#22 · (Edited)
get some shell v-power! 94 octane!

i went to sqr once to have some work done and left before they did anything, i would not let them do any work on my car. atleast from what i saw, they are hackers and think they know it all.

as for the tune, i have jak's stage 4 now and its great, 22-25psi till i let off if its under 80* out. i had his stage 3 then stage 3+ now stage 4, so now im going for a custom tuned stage 5. jak told me he has tunes for the 18t, 19t, gt28, gt30 he told me that a 18t with get me to 300hp just fine.

#24 ·
the do not make a td04hl-18t or 19t. you have to have one made. just call some turbo shops and get a price, most will charge a core charge and refund it when you send in your old td04 or keep it if you do not have one to send in.

#28 · (Edited)
I've got a TD04 18t 6cm2 that I had built to be a replacement/backup for my Viggen with the same thing( I got from Nick T back in the day). I never ended up using it because when I ordered it from the company who build it, I was vague and didn't request it have a HOT/T7 compressor side and he built me a 9000 aero 5sp turbo and machined the compressor side to accomodate the 18T wheel. I didn't know the compressor housing on the 9000's were different and clocked differently. If you don't have a 9k I'm not sure it would be worth or able to be changed easily. The wastegate actuator is placed differently too.
It cost me 700 shipped. Ask around and let me know if it's something you're interested in.
-Greg

#34 ·
i think thats what im going to do, ill talk to jak one more time and see waht he thinks of it.

Every shell I have ever been to is only 93 octane for v-power.... and according to shell's website
sorry, i thought it was 94, anyways i always use vpower. it runs great.

Shell v-power up here is only 91 octane. Only place you can get higher is at the track or Sunnoco 94.
i tried sunoco gas and my car wouldnt idle or get full boost.
i did however find a speed shop that sells race gas (110 octane) and lets just say i get full boost with that.

#40 ·
I know this has been brought up on another thread but I'm running a flex program from Nick T. I love the E85 in it, but it runs just as happily with 91 or a mix of 101 and 91( 91 is my local flavor, but I have a few race shops with 101 unleaded). It just varies in output.

But, having both tunes in one ECU is pretty slick.

Hopefully soon, there will be more E85 available and you'll enjoy the difference a tank of the Ethanol makes ;)
-Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.