Saab Link Forums banner

spec stg3 clutch another one bites the dust

2K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  lastaero 
#1 ·
I was on the way to the dyno today after spending a few days road tunning my ng900. It was running better than ever and I wanted to see how much better it really was on the dyno.

I head out and on my first third gear pull on the cool morning at 62F, bam, clutch lets loose and is bouncing off the rev limit... Its done. Third clutch in 3 months.

I talked to Spec and they just said you are overpowering the clutch, you need a spec stage 3+, no real discount offered. Now I am in the hole another 650 bucks, have to pull the tranny for the 5th time in 3 months:mad:

This SUX!

John

#4 ·
Yea, you might as well, its not that much more money and the tech said the stage 4 has no more holding capacity, just more of a on/off clutch.

The 3+ is supposed to actually have a better feel once bed in correctly.

The 3 holds 450 ft-lbs or 607nm, the 3+ holds 550 ft-lbs or 743nm.

I sure hope this one holds! I am going to baby it for at least 500 miles this time. I did get on it after about 250-300 miles last time. Nick said he went right out and beat on his right out of the gate and had no issues?

It was running so good too, I am bummed...

John

#7 ·
So what is actually failing is it the clutch disk? I'm gonna run the spec 6 puck disk with the sprung hub is that the one that's failing? I'm gonna run it with a viggen pp. Is it holding the rated torque?

perkj: You can't engage the transmission to the disk if you don't align it. It either fits or it doesn't.

I wonder if the rivets sheared off like someone elses did. maybe there is a design flaw.

#12 ·
The clutch disk should have a much longer life than 10k miles, especially if it's marketed as a performance part. You would think extra durability. This sounds like a faulty product.
I have never heard of a stock ng900/9-3 clutch disk doing this. they will slip, but i've never heard of the hub separating or the rivets failing. Nick at genuinesaab should look into this matter.

#13 ·
if you want ill show you pictures...
i call nick when i happen and he told me i didnt know how to drive or it was put in wrong, spec said its was a defect and sent me a new one. (they let me upgrade for $50)

if you spec clutch fails dont bother calling nick if you got it from him, go to spec and deal with them. might aswell buy it from them because you get more options when you order from them.

Edit:
the disk had tons of life left on it, the rivets did not, thats the 3ed stage 2 clutch thats it happen to kn here.

#14 ·
Good that we're gaining info on this. Sorry to hear so many people are having problems with these. We will have to wait and see where exactly John's failed.
Seems to me a clutch should start slipping before it actually breaks.
Can Spec upgrade their design to include stronger rivets or even bolts maybe?
I have a Spec stg 3 disk and viggen pp waiting to go in and I'm having second thoughts now.
Abott offers an AP racing 4 puck sprung hub disk and i think there are some options over in Europe as well, like parts for saabs has some options i think.

#18 ·
well i dont have to worry about it slipping anytime soon. i prob should have gone stg 2 but its too late now. other than it catching high up i cant complain about it...althogh the clutch pedal is really easy to push...perhaps a little too easy. where does urs catch?

#19 ·
Stage 2 would have been ideal for a mail box stage 3/4 from what Nick and other's have said.

I too was caught off guard by how light the pedal was.

I have not driven my car in a week, it's hard to remember, but I don't think it catches any higher than it did stock. Maybe there is some adjustment to be made. I also have the Spec flywheel which makes things more interesting.

#20 ·
Maybe these are just a few defective ones? Yeah Ap racing, Jak stoll and maybe Sachs look like the only other options.
I'm trying to do some research and see if any other makes of car have had problems with Spec clutches.

#22 · (Edited)
that will b fun to drive in traffic with the lightened flywheel.

are these clutches even adjustable at all?
I got use to it inside of a couple of hours. This is my 3rd car with a Fidanza or Spec flywheel. I DD'd it in traffic all week, no difference at all once I adapted. Then my father's 9-2x clutch and pedal felt very flimsy and indirect, I had to get used to it again.

#23 ·
well not sure what stage spec i have its the carbon ceramic one with viggen pp but ive got to admit it has so many niggling faults. it squeals, rattles, drags and bites right at the top of the pedal. its lasted 5k so far if it gets to 10k ill be suprised. ill see how it holds up after a get a bigger turbo.
i must add that the billet flywheel i have from abbott racing is looking a little warped so maybe causing the draging.

#26 ·
I have the same combo (Carbon discs from Maptun/speedparts, dont recall the orig maker) and viggen PP in mine and has been there since the beginning of since year 2006. Driven something like 60k km up to this date. Tune has been and is "without" overshoot/spike and Tq limited due to traction to levels between 600-650Nm,
Makes sometimes the noises what you describe above, but not so much anymore compared to what it did during the first year.

#27 ·
I really never plan on drag racing my car, and the only clutch dump starts I do are for autocross starts, and they are actually pretty tame.

I'm optimistic that since I don't have a big torque spike this might not happen for me?

We'll see how long my junk holds up :D

#28 ·
I went to the dyno anyway today and it only made 10whp more, the graph looked great, not much detonation and it made 10whp more at 30F higher temp and I ran it 3 times, back to back to back, no wait at all and they were consistant... Until I tried a 4th gear pull:twisted:

It started to really climb up and looked like it might really do some amazing things and then at 450 wtrq, the clutch let lose. I have a video of it too.

Will post later,

John

#29 ·
I put in a spec stg1 in my car at stage 3 power it was fine, about 1000 miles later added a GT3071 .64 and it started to slip :(.
It only like at 380 hp but slips like a bitch when cold or changing hard.
After I bought clutch which is rated to 540 nm I found out that spec just use a stock 234R aero pressure plate and paint it blue. So essentially a stock clutch with modded disc material.
I just got my cams off Nick but whats the use of putting them in as clutch will slip more so Sach 600nm pressure plate here I come........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.