spec stg3 clutch another one bites the dust - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
JZW
Elder

spec stg3 clutch another one bites the dust

I was on the way to the dyno today after spending a few days road tunning my ng900. It was running better than ever and I wanted to see how much better it really was on the dyno.

I head out and on my first third gear pull on the cool morning at 62F, bam, clutch lets loose and is bouncing off the rev limit... Its done. Third clutch in 3 months.

I talked to Spec and they just said you are overpowering the clutch, you need a spec stage 3+, no real discount offered. Now I am in the hole another 650 bucks, have to pull the tranny for the 5th time in 3 months

This SUX!

John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Yay for John having a healthy tune. Does suck to hear John and I'm really sorry its happening so close together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Elder

I guess thank you for being the test bed. I'll be ordering a stage3+ clutch instead of a stage3.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
JZW
Elder

Yea, you might as well, its not that much more money and the tech said the stage 4 has no more holding capacity, just more of a on/off clutch.

The 3+ is supposed to actually have a better feel once bed in correctly.

The 3 holds 450 ft-lbs or 607nm, the 3+ holds 550 ft-lbs or 743nm.

I sure hope this one holds! I am going to baby it for at least 500 miles this time. I did get on it after about 250-300 miles last time. Nick said he went right out and beat on his right out of the gate and had no issues?

It was running so good too, I am bummed...

John
Old 08-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Something sounds fishy....you sure you're aligning the clutch right when you install it?

x-VWer:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I beat right on mine as soon as I put it in. Not that I have as much power as you, but its worked fine for the past 50k miles.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
a12

So what is actually failing is it the clutch disk? I'm gonna run the spec 6 puck disk with the sprung hub is that the one that's failing? I'm gonna run it with a viggen pp. Is it holding the rated torque?

perkj: You can't engage the transmission to the disk if you don't align it. It either fits or it doesn't.

I wonder if the rivets sheared off like someone elses did. maybe there is a design flaw.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #8

my stage 3 is on its way out to, im not a big fan of spec... but its all thats out there.

John let me know how the stage 3+ is.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny72888 View Post
my stage 3 is on its way out to, im not a big fan of spec... but its all thats out there.

John let me know how the stage 3+ is.
How much use did it have? Mileage? Torque? Driving style?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromer View Post
How much use did it have? Mileage? Torque? Driving style?
i used it every day.
the stage 2 i had only got about 5k miles when i broke the hub out of it.
the stage 3 is starting to slip after about 9 months and 8-10k miles.

i dont beat on the car alot but when i do i go all out. i would say about 80% of the miles are normal and the 20% are hard, i do alot of engine braking and go from a stop alot. i hav about 270ish hp and 300ish ftlbs.
the clutch is squeeking in 1st and when i shift to second.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Elder

Oh well mine squeaks too, but it always holds fine.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
a12

The clutch disk should have a much longer life than 10k miles, especially if it's marketed as a performance part. You would think extra durability. This sounds like a faulty product.
I have never heard of a stock ng900/9-3 clutch disk doing this. they will slip, but i've never heard of the hub separating or the rivets failing. Nick at genuinesaab should look into this matter.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12 View Post
The clutch disk should have a much longer life than 10k miles, especially if it's marketed as a performance part. You would think extra durability. This sounds like a faulty product.
I have never heard of a stock ng900/9-3 clutch disk doing this. they will slip, but i've never heard of the hub separating or the rivets failing. Nick at genuinesaab should look into this matter.
if you want ill show you pictures...
i call nick when i happen and he told me i didnt know how to drive or it was put in wrong, spec said its was a defect and sent me a new one. (they let me upgrade for $50)

if you spec clutch fails dont bother calling nick if you got it from him, go to spec and deal with them. might aswell buy it from them because you get more options when you order from them.

Edit:
the disk had tons of life left on it, the rivets did not, thats the 3ed stage 2 clutch thats it happen to kn here.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
a12

Good that we're gaining info on this. Sorry to hear so many people are having problems with these. We will have to wait and see where exactly John's failed.
Seems to me a clutch should start slipping before it actually breaks.
Can Spec upgrade their design to include stronger rivets or even bolts maybe?
I have a Spec stg 3 disk and viggen pp waiting to go in and I'm having second thoughts now.
Abott offers an AP racing 4 puck sprung hub disk and i think there are some options over in Europe as well, like parts for saabs has some options i think.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
Elder

What does sachs have for comparable discs? Anything available stateside?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #16
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to szucman
im really glad im reading about all of this right after i got my stg 3 clutch put in yesterday. mine seems to work fine so far although its been a day...but it does catch pretty high up. is this normal for this clutch?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by szucman View Post
im really glad im reading about all of this right after i got my stg 3 clutch put in yesterday. mine seems to work fine so far although its been a day...but it does catch pretty high up. is this normal for this clutch?
Why the stage 3? Isn't that overkill?

I only went with stage 3 because I am doing pistons and big turbo now that my trans is built.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to szucman
well i dont have to worry about it slipping anytime soon. i prob should have gone stg 2 but its too late now. other than it catching high up i cant complain about it...althogh the clutch pedal is really easy to push...perhaps a little too easy. where does urs catch?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by szucman View Post
well i dont have to worry about it slipping anytime soon. i prob should have gone stg 2 but its too late now. other than it catching high up i cant complain about it...althogh the clutch pedal is really easy to push...perhaps a little too easy. where does urs catch?
Stage 2 would have been ideal for a mail box stage 3/4 from what Nick and other's have said.

I too was caught off guard by how light the pedal was.

I have not driven my car in a week, it's hard to remember, but I don't think it catches any higher than it did stock. Maybe there is some adjustment to be made. I also have the Spec flywheel which makes things more interesting.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #20
a12

Maybe these are just a few defective ones? Yeah Ap racing, Jak stoll and maybe Sachs look like the only other options.
I'm trying to do some research and see if any other makes of car have had problems with Spec clutches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in