Exhaust Burble How to remove?? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Admin
Elder

Send a message via AIM to snow4_1man
Exhaust Burble How to remove??

So i need a catback for my Viggen, right now its running the stock catback with the resonator cut out. There is too much burble and i really don't like the sound of it anymore anyway.

I have been searching the forums for a good exhaust that gives no burble on deceleration? Is this impossible to fix though?

Here is Steve's car with a GS 3" dp and abbot catback.

You can hear the burble in the idle. I want smooth sounding exhaust that just flows up and down with no burble.

This is nicks car with topmount and I believe Reums catback.

My plans for the mani/ turbo are the so this is pretty close. I like the sound of Nicks exhaust I cant hear to much burble. The catback that he has is no longer sold so that option is out the window.

The other option is the JT exhust but i really don't like the tips and JT overall. Then BSR 2.5 for the Viggen - I think Jamson has this but i have yet to hear it. He had mentioned that it was too quite, I don't think i would mind this, any clips? The car gets plenty of looks because of the color and i really don't want a crazy sounding exhaust, when I'm at idle WOT its different.

So any ideas, if you have some clips post them. Also is it even possible to have the burble gone?

If i cant find something that i like, my options are Custom DP with supersprint muffler or Borla XR-1 muffler.

Borla XR-1 on 04 STI
07 Porsche Cayman S with Borla XR-1 Exhaust

R32 SuperSprint
Porsche Cayman Supersprint
99 LTB Vig - Awesome Rally Crash! - RIP
99 LTB Vig - Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by snow4_1man; 08-26-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to therealet23
Put back in the resonator for starters!!! LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 900 S - SOLD
93 9000 AERO - SOLD
95 9000 AERO T5Suite-Stg3
- SOLD
99 BMW 540I/6SPD-RIP
01 AUDI S4/6SPD-RIP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man View Post
So i need a catback for my Viggen, right now its running the stock catback with the resonator cut out. There is too much burble and i really don't like the sound of it anymore anyway.

I have been searching the forums for a good exhaust that gives no burble on deceleration? Is this impossible to fix though?

Here is Steve's car with a GS 3" dp and abbot catback.

You can hear the burble in the idle. I want smooth sounding exhaust that just flows up and down with no burble.

This is nicks car with topmount and I believe Reums catback.

My plans for the mani/ turbo are the so this is pretty close. I like the sound of Nicks exhaust I cant hear to much burble. The catback that he has is no longer sold so that option is out the window.

The other option is the JT exhust but i really don't like the tips and JT overall. Then BSR 2.5 for the Viggen - I think Jamson has this but i have yet to hear it. He had have mentioned that it was too quite, I don't think i would mind this, any clips? The car gets plenty of looks because of the color and i really don't want a crazy sounding exhaust, when I'm at idle WOT its different.

So any ideas, if you have some clips post them. Also is it even possible to have the burble gone?
It was too quiet until I took out the center muffler.

Here are some vids with sound.

Last edited by Jameson; 08-26-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 8valvegrowl
BSR is pretty tame sounding, just a little more edge on idle and acceleration. I have one on my 9-5 Aero.

Burble is the downside of really uncorking the exhaust, unless you happen to like the sound of it, which I do. Saabs sound better than the raspy burble of some other 4-cylinders out there.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Admin
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealet23 View Post
Put back in the resonator for starters!!! LOL
The resonator was cut out due rust from a hole. The catback is going to be junk anyway so thats not a option. Plus i want something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
It was too quiet until I took out the center muffler.

Here are some vids with sound.
I like the sound of it, are these with the center muffler taken out? Do you have a lot of burble on deceleration?
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Last edited by snow4_1man; 08-26-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
The burble on overrunn is in the fuel cut on decel in ecu.

That video of m Vig is with open downpipe

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
c900 Grognard
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab
That's funny the c900 burbles less on overrun if you let off the throttle completely (ie cut off fuel), and burbles more if you leave the throttle on just a little bit. Must be the manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
The resonator was cut out due rust from a hole. The catback is going to be junk anyway so thats not a option. Plus i want something different.

I like the sound of it, are these with the center muffler taken out? Do you have a lot of burble on deceleration?
Yes, this is with the center removed. It was as quiet as stock with it in place. I find it does not burble too much, its very DD friendly and not over the top at all.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Elder

I would probably clean or replace the muffler bearings.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
Admin
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post

That video of m Vig is with open downpipe
Ahh gotcha, the vig does sound good. Let me know if you have a Reums Exhaust hiding some ware for a vig.

Ideally i would like my car to sound like this. Nice and smooth but throaty. I understand this is a Turbo 6 I guess its not possible unless the manifold is changed to remove the burble? I would assume all cars have fuel cut when your not on the gas how come this happens with ours?

BMW 335i Autobahn Exotics exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Yes, this is with the center removed. It was as quiet as stock with it in place. I find it does not burble too much, its very DD friendly and not over the top at all.
It def sounds great, not that loud at all. Although i don't mind it being somewhat loud as long as the tone is nice to the ear like the 335i.
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:

It def sounds great, not that loud at all. Although i don't mind it being somewhat loud as long as the tone is nice to the ear like the 335i.
I am very happy with it. I don't think I would change anything if I had it to do over again.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I suggest trying to find a Remus.....you can still get a new muffler from Remus at the cost of about $500 and then you get get a Saap Sport exaust for $300, keep the piping for the Remus muffler and sell the Saab Sport muffler.

I was lucky enough to pick up a used Remus/Viggen complete exaust for only $300 about 3 years ago from someone here on Saablink. I can tell you, there is no sweeter sound than a Remus out there.

x-VWer:

Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
i cut the rear one out on my old viggen and i loved it!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkj View Post
I suggest trying to find a Remus.....you can still get a new muffler from Remus at the cost of about $500 and then you get get a Saap Sport exaust for $300, keep the piping for the Remus muffler and sell the Saab Sport muffler.

I was lucky enough to pick up a used Remus/Viggen complete exaust for only $300 about 3 years ago from someone here on Saablink. I can tell you, there is no sweeter sound than a Remus out there.
Any way you could make a vid?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
Any way you could make a vid?

Unfortunately I don't have a video camera, but I can try with taking a video with my digital camera....though I can safely assume the sound on it will suck. If there's anyone in SJ with a video camera that want to shoot me driving it, I'm willing to meet up.

Here is a link to the still available Viggen Specific Remus Muffler...its up to $684 nowadays:
http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus...-3%20Viggen%22

and another link showing not only the Viggen models, but the base 9-3 and SE 9-3 specific Remus mufflers:
http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/saab...1_101_102.html

x-VWer:

Last edited by perkj; 08-26-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #16
Elder

iwantaviggen also lives in san jose
Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Gosh for nearly $700 I would probably part with my factory Saab Remus with the center pipe muffler. Has about 10K miles on it and still had the paper sticker on the top when I took it off.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 08-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #18
Elder

How does the remus flow compared to saabsport / bsr?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Gosh for nearly $700 I would probably part with my factory Saab Remus with the center pipe muffler. Has about 10K miles on it and still had the paper sticker on the top when I took it off.
Your Remus/Viggen exhaust came with a center pipe muffler? I thought they only were offered from Saab with the deleted center muffler like mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB View Post
How does the remus flow compared to saabsport / bsr?
I've always heard the only thing that flows better than a Remus muffler is no muffler at all.

x-VWer:

Old 08-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #20

Cherry Bomb resonator?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in